Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey,

I know that some of you emets have had this procedure for various reasons. My friend has to have one next month and she/we were wondering what it was like. She's not afraid of throwing up even slightly so it's not from that angle, just any stories good, bad or gory

Also were you ok to go to work the day after the procedure??

Thanks

xxxxxxxxxx
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Okay, so you said good or bad stories....right? I've had 3 and the first 2 were not fun at all. Constant gagging throughout and I remember every second. The last one, I was put completely out and don't remember a thing. However, I've talked to several people that have had it, and not one remember a thing, with the normal drugs they give. If she is not afraid of being sick, then she will probably just relax, like any "normal" person. I was given drugs, but I fought it the entire time. Oh, and I was okay to go to work the next day for all 3.

I am sure she will be just fine and it will be a piece of cake! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

My aunt has them every couple of years and she generally has no problems other than, er, extreme flatulence afterwards, which causes pretty severe cramping. I don't know if that's a common side effect or not!

i was only 13 when i had one. they knocked me out for it. i even woke
    up during it, but because i was in a twilight, i was so calm. i was a little
    n* for the rest of the day and really tired. i was fine to go to school the
    next day, i was still a little groggy and had a sore throat, but that was it.
    no big deal really. i recommend being knocked out for it though. i can't
    imagine being awake while something is being shoved down your throat
    like that. either way, they spray your throat with anesthetic (which
    tastes terrible).

My son had one last year because he has a hernia. They knocked him out for it. He was fine just a little tired for the rest of the day, but back to normal the next

I had one a couple months ago. They gave me the drugs, and literally I woke up in the car with a cheeseburger in my hand. So, no problems, very interesting, maybe even a little fun. Did not remember a thing.
    JANNA

I too don't remember anything. In fact, after the procedure while I was in "recovery" they told me several times what they found during the procedure but every time I woke up I had forgotten (some kind of drug that affects your memory). Now they did KNOCK ME OUT -- called it twilight but....

What they found was that the medication I was taking caused an erosion in my esophogus (almost a hole) that was causing me SEVERE pain during eating/drinking.

Anyway, the lead-up to the procedure was much worse than the procedure itself. I think your friend will be just fine. If she is nervous make sure she asks for MORE MEDS so that she will be asleep and not remember a thing!!!

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend!!!

I had one, was put under, and felt nothing! Once it wore off I was completely fine too. Didn't feel a thing!

I had one last year

I was totally drugged up. I do remember bits and pieces of it but It didn't
    bother me. I just felt like I had an extreme case of heart burn after.

I had one several years ago. I was knocked out and I don't remember a thing. I woke up and they gave me some juice and cookies. I did not have any after affects at all once I was fully awake again.

I'm sure your friend will be perfectly fine.

i had a scope done on my throat, because of the acid from my GERD, all i remember was i was panicking and they went to put this white thing in my mouth, the doctor said, the medicine will work quickly, then i woke up!!! i was very tired the rest of the day, and i felt like i was going to gag for a couple of hours...
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."