Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My mum is a nurse and she texted me tonight while I was sitting happily eating my dinner, saying she was on a night shift last night and all the patients had come down with what she terms as 'd and v' - blatantly norovirus and that she's felt ill all day and is on the sofa feeling very cold and sick.

I'm not worried myself as she lives 300 miles away but it's a bit worrying there is an outbreak in her hospital (Cornwall, UK) so soon! Apparently it was all started by some old woman being admitted into the ward, which is a cardiac ward, just for having d*. My mum is really angry about this as it has infected everyone else. She said she spent the whole night cleaning up v*! and that it was like a scene from the Exorcist!

How on earth do nurses do it?? And just for getting around £24K a year!! My mum and sister are both nurses and seem to get norovirus every year, often more than once. Obviously I don't have much in common with them as they take it so well!

I think the problem in this country is that the NHS, in some places, is in a state of collapse, and norovirus just spreads like wildfire with such a staff shortage and infected patients being taken into hospital when they should stay at home with rehydration drinks.

Hopefully the media won't latch onto norovirus cases like they do most years. Ignorance is often bliss where norovirus is concerned...we all know what steps to take to avoid it.

This really scares me! My sister has just started work in the labs at a childrens hospital, and it seems like it's only a matter of time before it all begins. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

It's ok guys what people don't realise is that there's always cases of noro going around, like the one at the hospital you're talking about, but only the very bad cases get reported. My father owns a pharmacy and he told me recently that there's ALWAYS someone who has it. And of course it's common that it spreads in hospitals, which is why I could never be a nurse! Your mother is so brave [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    Lauren xx

For some reason... or so it seems, norovirus outbreaks are worse in the UK. Why is this?

folks - I've made a sticky post (last winter, actually) to post "norovirus news" as keeping it in among general discussion posts gets a lot of people very anxious. So if anyone actually wants to know the news as to where it is located, they can go to the sticky post but others can avoid that section.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OK Sage I'll refer to that next time.

Unfortunately my mum did come down with it very badly - she's on the mend now but it just sounded horrendous. She's not even emetophobic and said it was 'hell'!

I was talking to her on the phone earlier and she said 'I was researching norovirus online and found out blood type O people are more likely to get it' - and she's blood type O. I had to chip in the fact I already knew!

Where do i find the sticky post?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzia
    OK Sage I'll refer to that next time.

Unfortunately my mum did come down with it very badly - she's on the mend now but it just sounded horrendous. She's not even emetophobic and said it was 'hell'!

I was talking to her on the phone earlier and she said 'I was researching norovirus online and found out blood type O people are more likely to get it' - and she's blood type O. I had to chip in the fact I already knew!

!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_15.gif[/img] im blood type O!

iv not had it before i dont think, but seriously im scared now, why is this the case, pls tell me im not the only blood O here! Edited by: kyle1989

I am the same blood type...

Hmm im rhesus negative O ... is it difernt for us rare blood groups? im sure i read somewhere it was

Leann,
    It's at the top of this section which is General Discussion. There are several stickies - it's the last one.

Re: Type O
    Okay folks let's all calm down! First of all type O is THE most common blood type with 47% of the population having it. There MAY be some correlation between types A or B and SOME immunity to norovirus. But that's more of a special little perk of THEIR lives, and not to be seen as a curse of the rest of us "O's"
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.