Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Back in January I attended back-to-back phobia workshops at a hospital in my area. I worked one-on-one with an amazing phobia counselor and also did weeks worth of group therapy. I am telling everyone this for 2 reasons:

1. If anyone wants the name of the person to contact to see if this is something you are interested in, please let me know. From personal experience I can attest that this program was amazing and worth it. I have come so far from the work that I did there (I can go more into that with you later - I would love to tell you about it, but it would take a long time and I'm trying to go somewhere else with this particular post)

2. The workshop is not cheap, but if you have the health insurance that they accept, the copay is definitely doable. After reading so many posts here, my heart goes out to all the people who don't have insurance and are in desperate need of help. I know how you feel because I was in your shoes - less than a year ago - It's made me want to do something about it. So here's my plan:

I work at a church. Our church allows groups like AA and OA to meet here, in the rooms that we generally rent to outside groups, at no cost. I was thinking that if enough people were interested, I could ask permission to hold EA "Emetophobics Anonymous" here. Of course I realize that very few people on this site may live in the surrounding area, but I figured I could at least give it a shot.

My church is located in lower Westchester county in NY.
    I would love to share the "tools" that I have learned at my phobia workshops with you. I also envision this EA program to be a place where we can talk about our personal experiences with emet., share our feelings and offer one another support. If you were like I was, hesitant about meeting another emetophobic, for fear that you will adopt their bad habits, please listen to this. In my second workshop, back in March, I believe, I met another emet. She and I even did a couple of work sessions together with our counselor. She and I became friends and I have absolutely NO regrets about meeting her. I am even thinking about asking her to attend this "program" if I can get the ball bouncing, and if she is willing.

So, this is just an idea that's been rolling around in my noggin and I thought I'd put it out there. I truly want to help (and continue to BE helped). I know that, especially with the economy the way it is, that not everyone is fortunate enough to get the professional help they need. But maybe I can pass along some of the tools that I have learned onto someone else. And maybe even one little bit of advice can help someone keep their job, or eat out, or go to the movies, or ride a train ( I shouldn't talk - that is still really hard for me) or stop obsessing from time to time. If I, or anyone else who attends, can help someone, it would be worth it, am I right? And it would be free - no stings attached, so what would you have to lose?

Although emets. can be puddly messes at times, we truly are a strong people. We do not give ourselves enough credit. We were not always this way. Let's try to work together to find the person that you are deep down inside. I know you can remember that person.

**HUGS TO ALL**
    Melanie

Melanie, that sounds like a positively WONDERFUL idea! Godspeed to you!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.