Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

A few years ago I had minor surgery. Like all emetophobics I was scared to death of getting sick from the anesthesia. The nurse handed me an alcohol pad to sniff just in case. Fortunately, I was feeling fine afterwards.

Just recently I read about someone else who had surgery and afterwards felt very sick. The nurse handed her an alcohol pad and after one big sniff, the n* completely went away.

Anyone else hear of this remedy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do the same thing, but with cinniamon, ginger, or some other sharp smell. I think it's related to the practice of using smelling salts to revive someone who is feeling faint. I don't know why it works, though.

Interesting! I've never heard of that.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Wow, I never heard of that! I plan on having plastic surgery someday so I'll bring a pad along.Hopefully it works!

Hmm, I never heard of it either, thanks for sharing! That's pretty cool!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Ive had plastic surgery and boy was I n* after wards. so xmdslatx, plan to ask for anti n* meds, I didnt and boy did I pay for it. Never v* but felt awful for about 1 1/2 days afterwards. Ugh......... [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    Georgi

Hmmm, oddly enough I love the smell of rubbing alcohol...maybe that's why.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I'm going to be a smarta** and ask what kind of rubbing alcohol. It could be 70% ethanol, 70% Isopropyl or even 91% Isopropyl in my area, other possibilities may also exist in other localities...

One night I was feeling VERY n*, and my boyfriend told me to smell newspaper! He said his mom taught him that many years ago, so I tried it and it worked!

I've heard the newspaper thing as well, but never tried it. I think I read it on a website about overcoming airsickness.

actually my nurses told me to sniff the rubbing alcohol after my c-section and it does work wonders! I always have bottles of the stuff and little pads on hand. I had my breasts done last year and made sure they gave me plenty of little pads and phenergan for afterwards.

FYI its the ispropyl alcohol that you need. it doesnt matter the percentage.

I wonder what it is in the newsprint that might help?