Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi guys.
    I have had emetophobia for about 4 years. It has gotten progressively worse the past 3 years. I live in NYC, and a sudden stomach virus outbreak has sent tons of people to the hospital. I am so nervous if I am going to get it. I wash my hands incessently, till they are raw. I keep about three Purells on me whenever I go out. I try not to touch anybody or anything, which is hard because I go to school. I heard once that emetophobia is triggered by a specific point in your life associated with t* u*.
    Since the stomach virus is in NYC, I am so terrified that I will get it. People really don't understand how hard it is to have this fear, unless they have it themselves. I came across this forum in hopes of good advice, and hearing that I am not alone. Thanks for reading my story.

By the way I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I am really nervous and didn't remember to check first. Edited by: majesticleeza

When I used to have emet I would hear that it was caused by a trauma in the past with TU, but from my experience with it now working with those that have it, I don't think that's the case. It COULD be in some instances, just like a fearful flier MAY have had a terrible experience on board a plane, but most don't. For most, it stems from something else and manifests as emet (or flying as the case may be). So it could be, but doesn't have to be IMO.

Jillian

Majesti,

I live in London, and have the same problem every winter. It doesn't help that the news reports it as like, a headline story. So far though, I have not caught anything. As long as you wash your hands (but not too much) you'll be fine. London and NYC are big places with lots of people. Just because a virus is going round does NOT mean you will get it. I know that telling myself that doesn't work, but it might help you hearing it from someone else!

Welcome Majesticleeza,
    I can relate to your story. I have had emetophobia for 3 years.It seemed to just come on out of nowhere although mine was definitely stress related.

This time of year is particularly rough for us emetophobes because it's stomach virus season. I live in Yardley, PA which is 90 minutes from NYC and I'm there at least twice a month. Being around the crowds that gather in NYC this time of year is particularly hard. The following link from Sage should make you feel better.

http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=13408&P N=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Try not to wash your hands until they are raw because that breaks the skin and infections can start. Also not touching anything all day will drive you insane, not touching your face before you wash your hands will be fine. Would it help if i told you i have had emet for 40 years and have never caught a bug in my life. Nice to meet you and you will have all the support you need on here.
    Carol

Hi Majesticleeza - welcome to the site! You are indeed not alone. This site has almost 3000 members. And what you describe is very very common.

I have a little website with all the information in one place that I have shared on here. You can check it out at www.emetophobiahelp.blogspot.com
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

hi im almost 47 and have this same fear, i had 5 children with servere nausea and coulfnt vomit, i now get paiic attacks if i even feel slightlt sick, is there anyone on here from ireland [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Hi Majiesticleeza, welcome and you are most certainly not alone!

TYes it really doesn't help that the media report sv's like they are the plague and as if we are ALL going to get it.

it doesn't have to be like that, through good hand hygiene they can be avoided and sages info will definitely put your mind at rest regarding this.

It is a horrible feeling nonetheless when it feels like it's surrounding you but it will be gone soon so please try not to let it rule your life while it's happening x