Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

when you have had the sv/nv etc, or even if u just feel s*, how have you pulled through?

im really shaken up lately about catching a bug, iv not been sick fora long time, the lack of experience actually scares me more, which is rattling the nest of my confidence!

so i thought i'd make this topic for people to share how they pulled through the times us emets fear most! any tips would be appreciated!

thanks to anyone who responds,

random question: whats your fav film/movie?

The last time I had it was about 6 years ago. I was at the movies when it started and grabbed my boyfriend and left before I v*ed. I was so scared because I knew it was not one of those times in was "just in my head" and that I was going to get sick. I made him take me straight to the hospital so I could get an IV of anti-emetics to stop it before it started...but I was not quick enough. I ended up getting sick 3 times in the waiting room but once I got into a room, they hooked me up to the IV and it knocked me out for a few hours. Then i woke up and we went home. They gave me a prescription for suppositories to stop the v* if it started again so I took one as soon as I got home. I only got sick one more time. Which I think is pretty good considering the fact that when most people get the SV they v* ALOT during it. I feel I was a lot less traumatized than I would have been had I not gone to the hospital and had v* more times than I could count through the night. Thats how I made it...by reducing the amount of times it happened. I was just like if its going to happen, I am going to make sure it happens as few times as possible.

Afterwards is when it got bad, I didnt eat hardly at all for about 2 weeks. Slowly my appetite started coming back and the fear dissapated...knowing that I just had it meant that I would not have it again for a while so it was ok to eat...

Just remember that if it happens, it is not the end of the world. It may suck really bad while its happening but it will be over within 24-48 hours and you can move on. The key is not replaying it in your mind over and over again and causing yourself to panic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maybe graphic*

Last time i got it was last december, i was actually at work and started to feel "off" i knew something was wrong..it wasn't that feeling where i know its in my head. it was diferent, i was having chills/freezing cold..and just felt plain awful and lethargic, eventually i ended up getting my dad to grab me from work..i remember getting home, and i think i fell asleep for about 10 mins, woke up and i feel extremley hot, and this wave of n* came over me. i tried my best to stop it thinking oh yeah its just anxiety but nope. i ended up thinkin k this is different, i went to the bathroom and just let it happen. afterwards..i felt okay but i did sit in the bathroom for a good 2 hours..shaking, crying, sooo scared.. then i eventually went back into my bed n got my sister to grab me a bucket just incase i had to again. I also remember feeling a very "out of it" feeling..i was so faint/weak i could barely grab the bucket the second time, but thankfully i got to it in time. i only v* twice during that whole ordeal..and the next day i started eating/drinking very lightly.

i know ppl say your not sopossed to drink any water/liquids when your v*, but i did the whole time even right after i just v* and it never did make me v* anymore..

all in all it was very scarey, but i got through it with strength, knowing i was going to be just fine afterward..after those 2 times i fell asleep..the next day i felt fine, just really tired and had some stomach muscle pains which is normal. i was back to work within 2 days..i also remember thinking k that wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be..and i do it everytime, even now after it happening im still terrified, but i know i'll be okay even if the worst happens again. We just have to be strong.

your body WILL be able to tell the difference between real nausea and anxiety. don't worry. usually you'll be able to prepare yourself... it took a good 3 hours before it fully hit me.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

I remember the last time I was sick like that because it was a big "test" for me or maybe checkpoint is the better word, to see if I was REALLY over my emet or not. Actually being sick and not having the additional misery of emet was a huge turning point for me and it was kind of funny to be so ill but so happy about it at the same time because I knew that part of my life was behind me. I don't want to bore everyone with my story, but I basically was able to come to the realization that I wasn't afraid of TU, but of what that meant to me on a deeper level and why/how it caused me those feelings and manifested as emet.

Favorite movie...hmmm...I REALLY liked the new Batman, Heath Ledger was incredible!

Jillian

the funny thing is, whenever I actually have a sv*, I seem to be unable to be afraid of it. or even if I v* for some other reason, all around the time I v* I seem to be unable to fear. Which kind of turns into a vicious cycle, because if I feel bad and am not worrying about it, I start worrying that I might get sick because I haven't been worried about it! [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]our brains work in strange ways sometimes.

the last time i v* was pretty nerve-wracking for me, because i was 7 months pregnant and caught a 24 hour sv*.

*graphic*

i woke up in the morning and knew something didn't feel right. every time i burped i could still taste the tacos i had for dinner the night before. i kept having to run to the bathroom because i had horrible d*. i couldn't eat, i was scared to drink, and i kept breaking out in a cold sweat. i went to the hospital because i was afraid that something may be wrong with the baby or that because i couldn't drink that she would get dehydrated. the second i got settled into my hospital bed, i told my husband to give me the trash can and to go get the nurse. as soon as he left the room i v* probably 6 or 7 times. the n* was horrible, at that point i didn't care that i was v*ing, i just wanted to feel better. the nurse came in, gave me tissues to blow my nose and water to rinse my mouth out. she checked me for dehydration and apparently i was badly dehydrated. she gave me something that i guess was like, a travel v* bag, just in case. she said she was going to take blood from me and then give me IV fluids and anti-emetics to rehydrate me and stop me from v*ing. the second she put the tube into my hand, my stomach turned and i v* again 3-4 more times, though this time it wasn't nearly as much so...it was more dry heaving than anything else. by the time i finished, the nurse had taken my blood and already had the fluids and the anti-emetics going into me, and i felt better pretty much instantly. i was even able to take a small nap while everything was pumped into me. before i left, the doctor wanted a stool sample from me to check for any possible parasites or whatever. that was a bit tough for me to get, lol. they gave me a prescription for zofran and sent me on my way after 1 1/2 bags of IV fluid.

i was really proud of myself for how i handled everything. i even went into the pharmacy to get electrolyte drinks and my meds! i was just glad my baby was ok. i think if i wasn't pregnant at the time, i wouldn't have handled it so well. i would have stayed home and probably would have been s* for a LOT longer. i went back to work two days later and was fine. i still have one zofran pill left on me but i may ask my doctor for a refill soon. i like to keep it on me just in case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.