Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twilight series

Quote Originally Posted by classycaro1
    I HATETwilight. What a disgrace to
    literature. Ugh.
    ouch? actually if you read beyond the second book it got better.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

I read all four and I disagree, I think they got progressively worse. The fourth one was like a terrible fan fiction.
    Crayon

Caroline has to be the only girl I've heard of who hates Twilight.

I read all four and I disagree, I think they got
    progressively worse. The fourth one was like a terrible fan
    fiction.
    sniffle sniffle.

you hurt me deeply
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

Well, to be reasonable, I did enjoy reading them. I don't like them though because I have a friend who had to read the first one and report on it for a Child Lit class. She had to do all sorts of research on it and it was ridiculous. There's not really any substance to the book. Stephanie Meyer even said in an interview that she didn't mean for them to have any underlying meaning or message. They were just for fun. And I'm not one to say that all books should have meaning and we should pick them apart to find the symbolism in every little bit, but it worries me when a book with such a needy, pathetic main character as Bella gets so popular.

So in other words, it's not the Twilight Series that I hate, it's the hype they're getting. They wouldn't bother me if they weren't so popular and if people weren't trying to pass them off as, like, a good read/real literature. I guess, if that makes sense?

I also hate it when people say "I love Edward Cullen" because he isn't really described as anything other than obsessive about Bella and ridiculously beautiful. I don't believe anyone loves Edward, I believe they love the idea of obsessive, "unconditional" love. Which is just unrealistic and downright unhealthy.

And on the subject of Bella being pathetic: *SPOILER WARNING*</font>
    Edward leaves her. She is depressed, stops really living her life, forgets her friends and everything UNTIL she finds solace in another boy? Jacob? He fills the void that Edward left with sunlight. And the void even comes back when she's not in Jacob's presence? Is that really a good lesson to send to pre-teens? Or any lady for that matter? No. And that paired with Edward and Bella's obsessive love. God. If I believed in censorship I would almost say these books should be banned.

And I really didn't enjoy reading the last one. You don't think it was at least a little fan-fictiony?

Idk, I'm not a fan.
    Crayon

I HATETwilight. What a disgrace to literature.
    Ugh.

*GASP*

[img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

How could you say such a thing.

Sure, at first the vampire thing was a little weird, but the
    writing is so excellent that I had to read just ONE MORE CHAPTER. So now
    I'm hookedEdited by: jubidyjub
    The girl who nobody knows, they only see
    The girl who is only half way pretty and doesn\'t care
    The girl whose following her one true dream, when nobody\'s looking...

I HATE Twilight. What a disgrace to literature. Ugh.
    [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Quote Originally Posted by jubidyjub
    Ugh.

*GASP*

I'm hooked
    Read what I wrote right above your reply.
    Crayon

After reading these posts I decided to go buy the book to see what all the fuss was about and I have to say I'm hooked! I love Twilight and have almost finished it after only a day. I got nothing done yesterday at all!! I'm off in the bath now with bubbles, a glass of wine and my book. Can't help but admit I am a teeny bit in love with Edward myself...! Going to buy the next book tomorrow so its all ready for when I finish Twilight. Thanks everyone...wouldn't have bothered if I didn't read this thread and now it will be one of my favourite sagas. x [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by jubidyjub
    Ugh.

*GASP*

I'm hooked
    Read what I wrote right above your reply.
    [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

So your problem is from a feminist perspective huh? Well I tend to agree with the idea that its not a good idea to portray women as needy and pathetic but I give the young women a bit more credit than to model themselves after a character in a stupid fiction book or even after our vapid, shallow celebrities. Please tell me I'm not mistaken? These books are escapism, the latest bathroom or by the pool reading material not meant to be deep or meaningful, just fun and easy to read. Having said that I have never read the books and really have no desire to except perhaps some curiosity over why they have such a cult following.

Well said![img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img]

No, I don't believe they'll model themselves after Bella. But I think it is natural for young girls to think they can only be happy with a boyfriend. At least from what I saw with every girl I went to high school with. And this book only encourages that notion and I personally believe that girls need to learn to be happy with themselves first.

I also think it is poorly written, but I don't want to get into that. This is an emetophobia forum full of Twilight fans lol and I don't want to be mobbed in my sleep.
    Crayon

No, I don't believe they'll model themselves
    after Bella. But I think it is natural for young girls to think they can
    only be happy with a boyfriend. At least from what I saw with every
    girl I went to high school with. And this book only encourages that
    notion and I personally believe that girls need to learn to be happy
    with themselves first.

I also think it is poorly written, but I don't want to get into that. This
    is an emetophobia forum full of Twilight fans lol and I don't want to
    be mobbed in my sleep.
    *jaws song*

*attacks caroline with angry mob of teenage girls...*
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

Don't kill me for this, Kendall, but I agree with Caroline. It's not well written, and I find Bella a little bit pathetic.

You're talking about when they got that virus? I thought that was
    actually kind of funny. I've read all of Twilight and I'm working on the
    Midnight Sun partial draft...they're okay, but I think they could be
    better.

Quote Originally Posted by twilightrose
    Don't kill me for this, Kendall, but I agree with
    Caroline. It's not well written, and I find Bella a little bit
    pathetic.

* attacks after Caroline's frightful death...*
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

I went against my own rules (never get involved in a "fad") and read the series. I enjoyed them very much, because they are great escapism and easy to read. I don't have to think too hard. I just kick back and go for the ride.

And, yes, Bella is a little pathetic. Edward is a bit controlling. But, maybe I just like "dysfunctional" relationships--ha ha! I had a "crush" on Edward, too and he's considered jail bait for me.

I also got sick of hearing how beautiful and perfect Edward is. We get it. He's got perfectly chiseled features and looks like a god. I'd probably want to hump his leg, too, if I saw him. But, I don't want to read about his beauty in every chapter of all four books.

So...is the Twilight series the greatest book series of our time? Nope. But, it sure is fun! I love me some underage teenage vampire. Yum! He can gnaw on my neck anytime he wants![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

lol...my husband has my heart, but edward has my neck!!! lmao!

I was so annoyed of hearing about Twilight. I honestly didn't know what it WAS until I started seeing millions of bumper stickers for Twilight on Facebook.
    I bought the first book, not even knowing it was part of a saga, I just thought it was based on the movie which I thought looked pretty cool. After reading the first one....I was hooked on it like a drug. I've gone and bought the next book each time before I finished so I wouldn't be without one! LOL I'm on eclipse now....I think they're amazing....I'm not sure why...

I heard about these books a long time ago but wasn't sure if I wanted to read them.

Then I bought the book and it sat in the closet forever...I finally saw that the movie had come out on pay per view and decided to watch it, then read the book.

Reading the book first would have ruined the movie, but watching the movie first can't ruin the book. I wish I had the patience to wait for the next movie but I don't because I'm almost half way through the second book now. :-/