Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have never v*ed before, except when I was too young to remember.

I've always thought that I was emetophobic because I had never v*ed before. But now that I see people who have emetophobia and have v*ed im not so sure.

People always tell me that when I finally do get an sv* I will realize that it isn't as bad as I think it is.

Is that true? Because if v*ing is as bad to me as I think it is or doing it makes my anxiety worse I don't know what I would do, cause right now I feel like I would rather die them v*!

Hi clarync8! Welcome to the site!

What you describe is very typical for emetophobia. But I promise you, it's not that vomiting is all that bad. People do it every day! What it is, is that your brain is fooling you into thinking it's DANGEROUS. The part of your brain concerned with fear/terror and then fight or flight (it's called the amygdala)is firing off messages of DANGER! OMG! RUN! AVOID! whenever you feel queasy, approach some new situation, or see/hear someone else is sick. These are called "triggers". Once the amygdala is triggered, your brain tells you that it is a fate worse than death, so you must avoid it at all costs.

So the trick is to re-train the amygdala not to be so afraid anymore. This takes time, in therapy, and a number of approaches can be used. Some therapists are good and others are downright awful. But many, MANY people are successfully treated for emetophobia all the time.

Check out my website for all the information about the phobia, treatments, etc. at www.emetophobiahelp.blogspot.com

Good luck and once again...welcome to the site!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

how old are you?

I'm 16.

So, then v*ing will not make my anxiety worse?

Also, I'm not sure if this is a reliable source, but I asked about emetophobia on Loveline (lol) last night and Dr. Drew said that emetophobia is a kind of OCD?Edited by: clarync8

I wouldn't say it is a form of OCD, but it can CAUSE ocd because the person is so obsessed with avoiding germs that might cause illness.

I could see that, because with ocd a person will have a thought over and over without their control, and I feel like that with this emetophobia. I feel like its a part of my brain I have no control over whatsoever.
    JANNA

OCD is an anxiety disorder, and so it emetophobia (or any phobia). Often people presenting with anxiety present with more than one form of it. But people with emetophobia don't necessarily have OCD. And emetophobia isn't a "form" of it.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

When I had a sv* the anxiety was the thing to freak me out mostly.

The deed was unpleasant but that anxiety feeling you get right before just plain sucks lol.

I also find that my OCD and emetophobia feed off of each other like two trouble maker children.