Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

so i was browsing yahoo answers and found this:

--------------------------------------------------------
    Can I buy Syrup of Ipecac?
    Can I buy this from something like a Washington State drugstore like Bartels under the age of 18? Does it require a certain age?

4 hours ago
    I was planning on giving this as a joke
    I AM NOT IN ANYWAY BELEMIC. I am eating pizza right now.
    Does anyone have an idea of a different thing available to put in say.. A drink?
    -------------------------------------------------

There are also questions asking "how do i make myself sick quick, i don't want to go to my aunts house"

Complete ignorance.These people (kids I assume..and I mean no offense to any young people on here) take their health for granted and it pisses me off.

I know that if someone tried to play a "joke" on me by spiking my drink with something like that, his ass would be in the freakin ocean with blocked chained to his feet lol

I've always feared someone finding out my phobia and deciding to 'play a joke' on me...

I am 18, and i take no offense to what you said what so ever, i go to school
    with kids like them. and let me tell you it is absolute hell, over the years
    people have found out about my phobia, and some make fun of me for it.
    Like they will tease around with the idea of someone v* in front of me. or
    pretend to, once even, my ex boyfriend brought in fake vomit. I almost
    started crying, needless to say we broke up and i felt like a complete loser.
    Anywho, i have kind of come to the conclusion that everyone has their own
    s*** to deal with, and since mine is out there, they would rather attack me
    for what i have then have to deal with their own problems.
    \"The habbits of inattention and absence are strong, yet the experience of life, moment by moment, is precious\"

AIM = burnbaby1017

I dated a guy recently who seemed really sweet until one day when he said my phobia could easily be cured and that all i had to do was take some ipecac and i would get over it. I told him if he ever tried to force me to do that he would be living the rest of his life in a wheelchair with a colostomy bag. so he told me, well maybe I will put some in your food or drink sometime and not tell you about it and then you wont panic and you will get sick and be over your stupid phobia and we can have normal relationship. I did not like that one bit so I told him i wanted to go outside to have a cigarette. we went outside then i was like "oops, i forgot my lighter I will be right back." and I went back inside and locked the door. He knocked for a while and was like "why did you lock me out, what did i do?" he gave up after about an hour and left. I never talked to him again.

I am sorry but i can not be around someone who might do that to me. He may have been joking but i dont care. I am not going to take that chance.

I also had a therapist who specialized in phobias tell me that she thought i should come in one day, let her give me some ipecac and she would coach me through the process of v* and help me see that it was nothing to be afraid of... I was like "WTF?" I told her to kiss my ass and I was not paying for the session and that i would never recommend her to anyone. She said "i am sorry you feel that way" and I said, I am sorry that you portrayed yourself to be educated on this phobia, if you really knew your sh*t about this, you would know that most therapists who treat this specific phobia have said that this is one of the fears that can be made worse by forcing a patient to face it and v*...dumb b*tch" and then I walked out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'he would be living the rest of his life in a wheelchair with a colostomy bag'

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] This made me laugh so much, Mary.

Woooooow. I would f ucking lose it if someone did that to me. Like not even joking, someone would get hurt. The mere thought...
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

'he wud be spending therest of his life in a wheelchair with a colostomy bag! this made me chuckle!

But what a complete idiot your bf was making you scared all the time if he realised if was to let you do things your own way the phobia may ease if he tries to force you its only going to get worse!

as for your therapist well.... it makes you think there the insane ones!
    Its me in the Pink Sparkly top!Do I look like an emet!No-1 even noes what it is!Where do u begin?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's awful how insensetive they are--and yet a part of me wishes I was like them. that I cared so little about it I could just make myself sick to avoid doing something I don't wanna do. of course then my brain would probably just pick something else to be afraid of... [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

i agree with tessa
    i called my mom today telling her i was gonna stop hanging out with my friends until spring time bc all of them have the sv* right now and she was saying how sick she gets of hearing me say that......
    and i said if i wasnt scared of v* i would have no problems at all that are as "severe" as this one!
    and she swears up and down i would find something else to be scared of.....but thats honestly my only fear!

i wish i could just get over it!!!
    i refuse to not be able to live my life bc of it.....i will put it behind me one day if at all possible!

People have really twisted minds...

Recently a friend of mine told me to "get over it" and I felt like kicking him the the nutz. Some people don't even try to understand. They need to do the research. How would they like it if I found out their worst fear and told them to get over it or played a joke. They need to put themselves in our position.

Good for you Mary (what you did to that guy) he can go *&(!*&@(* himself.

HA HA Good for you MaryContrary!!! That is sooo NOT funny that people, educated or not, would think that way.

wow - never even considered someone doing that kind of thing - how awful.

i cant stand it when people say snap out of it or get over it. if i had cancer, was paralysed or had a broken leg, people would be all caring. i hate it how mental health problems still get bad press even in the 21st century.

Regardless of this phobia or even if they put something in your food/drink that would do something we don't fear (say sneeze or sleep) its unethical and WRONG to put anything in someones food/drink that they do not know about or want. Even if its something as simple as, when I was a kid a family friend tricked me into eating deer meat ... that pi$$ed me off. Its MY body! Ugh, some people should be shipped to an island of people as stupid as they are.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

marycontrary, lmfao, I can just picture him standing outside your house looking like a idiot haha.

NOBODY touches my food so I am pretty confident that nobody is going to mess with me.It's always in the back of my head..actually it always has been even when i didn't have emet.I thought "what if my family tries to poison me" even though im sure they won't.so weird.

i know my family is tired of hearing about this so i am just not going to speak to them anymore because i really have nothing to say other than the typical "how was your day" crap..i have to lie and say "fine"..if i didnt, they would only walk away shaking their heads.I wished they understood.

omg i never would have thought anyone could be so horrible. I am lucky and have a supportive family and boyfriend. Can't imagine what it would be like to have someone you cared about do that to you!

Thinking about it, I had something similar. Years ago I worked with my brother in law's younger brother. This other guy on our team was told he couldnt go home when he felt sick as they could smell alcohol on him. He then sat there with him head over the bin pretending to be sick. My brother in law's brother told him to stop as he knew I had the phobia. The guy then laughed and said he would make himself sick then!

some people! they havent a clue!!!! why is it that our phobia is never treated seriously?? i mean if i had agarophobia or fear of flying, then people would understand what i was panicking over and help me to deal with the situation, but us emets....we are treated as freaks who should get over it [img]smileys/smilies_21.gif[/img] ! as for locking him outside the door.haha very good, he got what he deserved [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] !
    life is tough sometimes....to love me you have to understand me
    !

Mary Contrary - GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
    You don't deserve to be with a guy like that. What a jerk! And putting the whole emet thing aside for a moment, it sounds like he is the kind of person who doesn't really think things through, which will spill into other areas of his life and relationships with others. Does that mean he will set fire to his house just for the insurance money? Do you know what I mean? Sounds sneaky. You, on the other hand, sound intelligent. I'm glad you didn't go back to him. You need to find someone on your level.

As for your therapist - I can't believe she would suggest that. You are awesome for standing up to her! I don't think I would have the nerve.
    In any therapy situation YOU should be in the driver's seat. That means that YOU call the shots. Your therapist can make suggestions, of course, but they start off slow. They talk with you about what you think will be manageable. If you think you are ready to try something, they will walk you through it. And if it's too much for you, then you stop. And they should NEVER, EVER give you ipecac. What the hell? It amazes me how in this day and age how "professionals" can not understand these things!!!

tacomel- I luckily did find someone on my level. He (erik) is an emet as well. though he only fears himself v* and not others, he understands all my weird quirks. In my past relationships if i said that I avoid going out as much as possible during sv season they would be like "okaaaay?" and make me feel like a tard but erik understands and does not question me at all.

Having an emet boyfriend has its pros and cons, pros being that i can be myself and cons being that sometimes we feed off of each others fears but in the end, i would rather be with an emet than not. to me its just easier because I know he will never put ipecac in my food! lol

mary contrary - so glad to hear that you have found someone that understands. It must feel really good to be able to vent to someone who knows exactly what you go through. Did you guys meet by chance, or by way of an emet chatroom or some other conduit? The only emet I ever met was through a phobia workshop. It feels like everyone else is "normal" and that no one gets what we experience.

Sheesh I've read similar questions. People just don't understand. One time I
    called my good friend because she had been sick that day. She told me that
    she needed an extra day for her project so she burped until she threw up.
    The girl who nobody knows, they only see
    The girl who is only half way pretty and doesn\'t care
    The girl whose following her one true dream, when nobody\'s looking...

We actually met online on just a regular dating site. We were good friends for about 2 years before we actually started dating and neither one of us knew the other one had emet until we started dating.

Wow that's pretty random...what are the chances?