Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So I work in a building that has many offices on our floor, and us women all share a bathroom consisting of 6 stalls. There has been a rumor that an older woman who works on our floor has had gastric bypass surgery and v's when she eats too much. My co-workers have "heard" her and say she always goes into the handicapped stall.
    Wouldn't you know it, a few weeks ago, I was in the bathroom, washing my hands, and I hear retching coming from the stall. Instinctively, I ducked my head into my shoulder, started humming, and ran out the door. UGH.
    I felt angry, grossed out, and embarassed (there were other women in the bathroom that saw me react that way).

Since then, my emet-radar has been RIDICULOUSLY alert when using that stupid bathroom. I seriously hold my pee, so I don't encounter the v* lady.
    However yesterday, right before lunch, I had to use the restroom, and held the door open for a woman in her late 50's. Considering we were both entering the bathroom together, I attempted to gage if she was "the lady" or sick in general, so I said "hello," and she said "hello" in a normal tone back. I figured I was good, but I should have known when I saw her go into the handicapped stall. I was literally in mid-pee, when I heard the sound of splashing in water. Then the retching. I freaked the hell out. I smashed my hand up against my ear and brought my shoulder up to the other one, and hummed loudly, but it wasn't covering up the sounds. I waa trapped in a bathroom, in a stall next to a woman V*ing. Total nightmare.
    Ask me how hard it is *with one hand* to pull your pants up, unlock a door, then open another door and run out of the bathroom. It's near impossible, which is why in my panic and haste to bail the hec out of there, I literally ran out of the bathroom with my pants down. Yup.
    Thankfully there was no one outside of the bathroom, watching me pull my jeans up and compose myself.
    Evidentally, this woman does this *daily.* We speculate she might have had the gastric bypass, or she might be sick. It sucks, and I can't even use the bathroom. I have had to pee for the last 2 hours. Ugh. People have no idea how much this phobia interferes with life.

Kaiyla,

ARGH, what a nightmare. What a hideous, revolting, terrifying nightmare. My heart goes out to you.

~Madeleine
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

That totally sucks...that's the reason I will never get that surgery! I've been told that I need it, but you know what? While it's good for some people...I just see it as a form of legal bulimia...

If I were in that situation, I would walk to the nearest business to use THEIR bathroom! ICK!!!

Its a common side effect of gastric bypass or a lap band. Your stomach becomes no more than the size of a fist. If you try to eat like a normal person...then its v* city. Try to have some sympathy for this lady since you know you can't catch what she has, but I don't blame you for being freaked out and disgusted.

Still, if she knows it's a side effect, she should really watch how much she eats. If she keeps v* everything she eats, then she's gonna end up getting weaker and she might die. So it's really her own fault for eating more than she knows her stomach can hold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ugh you poor thing! That would disturb me... I react the same way if I hear anyone getting sick.

The thought someone could be getting sick in our office bathroom always crosses my mind (our bathroom is way smaller with 3 stalls)

Fingers crossed....

I know someone that had gastric bypass surgery and she v*'s everyday from it. It is gross but at least you can't catch it. Sorry that you have to go through this.

I am allways afraid of someone getting sick in a public restroom. I try to avoid using them if I can. I have a 3 stall bathroom at work down the hall from my office. Evey time I go in there I worry that someone with come in and be sick. I allways look under the stall door to make sure her feet are pointed the right way!

In a way I feel bad for this woman but on the other hand if she knows she is getting sick from over eating she should stop over eating! Unless of course she is sick for some other reason.

I HATE using public bathrooms for this reason. I stay at home in do daycare, so I dont have to worry about using a public bathroom frequently. When I was in high school I used to hold it all day so I wouldnt have to go in the bathroom. The only time I remember going to the bathroom in high school..a girl ended up v* and I took off out of there as fast as I could.

Thanks for the support, everyone.
    Yeah, it is really gross and I do feel bad for her but here's the thing; I feel bad for her if she is legitimately ill. Gastric bypass for the most part, is an elective surgery. She chose to get it and she chooses to over-eat. Why should I have to listen to her retch her brains out? I did not make the decisons she chose to, so why should I suffer?
    I know that's a selfish way of viewing it, but come on..having to dodge this daily totally sucks.
    Like I said though, if she is legitimately sick (cancer, reacting poorly to medication, etc), I feel for her. Her afflictions are more serious than mine.

Ya that sucks, and even if I was not phobic about vomiting, its still kind of rude that she pukes daily in a public bathroom. If I was her supervisor and knew this was going on, I'd talk with her about options because like I said, scared or not, no one likes to hear someone barfing in the stall next to you while you're trying to pee..on a regular basis anyway.I would have a tough time because I cannot hold it for more than a couple hours..is there somewhere else you can go to use the bathroom?
    JANNA

Yes, I agree that this should definitely NOT be going on daily in the workplace. Notify the supervisor, because I am sure other non-emets find it disturbing too. I would be "holding it" until I got home too...

It's gross but there's nothing you can really do. When we were on vacation at the lake I was in one of the camp bathrooms and a woman was v* in one of the stalls. My heart started pounding but I finished getting ready before I rushed out of there....it is gross but unfortunately something that all humans can do...

I have a close friend who had the gastric bypass and she has only v* from it once and that was right after the surgery. This woman obviously doesn't know how it works!

^lol, apparently not! I give you credit for staying in the bathroom at the camp. I would have been out of there is seconds!
    I wish there was another bathroom available. I might have to ask the building manager if I can have a key that will allow me access to a bathroom on a whole different floor. It's worth a try...

That's got to be just plain rude and disgusting even to people who aren't emets. Even if not everyone is petrified of it like us, I'm certain there isn't anyone who wouldn't be disturbed at hearing that.

I would definitely look into getting a key for another floor! Some people might think you're overexaggerating about it, but I find that when people realize just how desperate you are about it, they become somewhat understanding.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

i think virgowitch said it best, that is terrible and my heart too goes out to you.
    It seems very unprofessional to be doing that, but idk what do i know?
    Again, i am sorry, that truly is a crappy situation
    \"The habbits of inattention and absence are strong, yet the experience of life, moment by moment, is precious\"

AIM = burnbaby1017

Update:
    I managed to get my hands a key to the bathroom on the second floor! No more having to chance that...well, every time is a chance. I'm so traumatized that I look to make sure everyone's feet are facing away from the toilet, and I hurry to get in and out of there as quick as I can.