Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: does talking about v* make our fear worse

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • no, i find it helps

21 44.68%
  • not really

2 4.26%
  • a little, but cant help talking about it

13 27.66%
  • yes, but cant help it

11 23.40%

does talking about fear of v* or d* make it worse for you, do you suddenly experience new symptoms through reading here? or are you the same regardless.

i find that if i concentrate too much on my fear, it makes me worse, i used to be a member on emetonline.co.uk, and only really went on there when things got out of hand, like now, which is why im here, aside from that, i'd pretty much try to deal with my emet as much as i could, distraction techniques when i felt n*, stomach remedies and anti-emets....

i cant help but think that if i spend too long reading about it (even on a support forum!!) that it will just make me worse...!

what about you guys??

I seem to talk about it a lot...but if I talk about it for more than a few minutes, I end up having a panic attack... [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It really depends on the day..how long it's been since i've had a panic attack and such. sometimes talking about it puts images in my head. other times i'm okay.

I find it reassures me alot coming on here, it's very very very slowly desensitising me in a way I think.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never ever be cured of emet, but that I can live with it as long as I don't let it take over again like it has in the past.

It just helps to know other people go through the same feelings, little rituals, fears etc and that we can all be completely open and honest which with the best will in the world we can't be with our friends and family.

None of my friends truly know about my phobia they just know I don't like being s* and i've tried my best to explain it to my fiance and he definitely has got the message loud and clear that I'm terrified of v* and that it causes me to be over zealous on the hygiene front but you just can't explain all the little details to someone of how it affects your whole way of thinking whereas on here people understand completely.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie29
    i cant help but think that if i spend too long reading about it (even on a support forum!!) that it will just make me worse...!

what about you guys??
    Exactly the same! But i try not to give up to my fear and just read on telling myself I will not v* from reading. it helps.
    And sometimes I can obsessively talk about my n* and v* experiences or listen to my friends stories.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I definitely feel like it helps me. In fact, I almost have a weird "obsession" with it.

Maybe it's because I'm ready to face my fear and get over it, but lately especially I've been asking my closest friends what it feels like to v*, to tell me about their experiences with it, watching it in movies without plugging my ears or turning away, and even attempting to watch v* videos on YouTube. (Turns out I'm NOT ready for that yet!)

Anyhow, since emet is typically treated through gradual exposure therapy, I feel like the more comfortable you can become with the idea of v*, will make you that much closer to overcoming your fear.

Talking/reading about it doesn't seem to trigger anything in me. I've become a bit more desensitized to it over the past few years what with taking care of sick children and once in a while a sick husband.

I can watch v* on TV now without it bothering me and that has been a big step forward.

But no, talking about it doesn't make me panicky or make me think I'm ill or going to v*.
    Elizabeth