Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Formal/Prom

Alright! So, I made a decision months ago to suck it up and go to the formal, as I've always stopped myself from going places because of this phobia and my overall anxiety when it comes to being around people.
    I've spent weeks telling myself everything will be fine, and if anyone gives me greif, I'll attack 'em. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

However, >_< as of Monday, I got my monthly 7 days late, have been starting to get migraines and haven't been wanting to eat very much at all.

I'm starting to think that maybe it's a sign telling me, DON'T YOU DARE! go to this formal! Just be your usually anti-social, geeky self and get your nose stuck in a book all night. This is starting to sound most appealing; but I don't want to let my friend down. I'm supposed to be showing up at the formal with her as her date. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

But I know that if I do show up, I'll probably be worried the whole night (end up feeling n*); with some good ol' teenager hormones thrown into the mix, feeling miserable because of my monthly, being picked on by my peers (because I'm that person that's always getting targeted in my year, well, one of them. Lol. I'm 'the strange one' everyones freaks out over). And the fact that I will have to eat the 3 course meal there is sending me into a panic (I'm also a vegetarian, and whilst I chose the vegetarian option, most people seem to throw in some meat anyway, not realizing that vegetarian excludes seafood as well - so my phobia is sort of winning out on the panic scale on this one.)

And I'm doing all of this so that I can make my friends happy. I've never really had to consider how my decisions for myself affect those around me, because I've never really functioned within a team or group. I make decisions that will affect me and me alone, and I feel horribly guilty when-ever I make those decisions now that I've established a group of friends for myself. Lol

Or I can choose not to go, and worry about the wrath that I will endure the next day from my friends. I doubt they will speak to me and if they do, it will be nothing but pure hatred. No-one will understand how I feel or felt because they don't believe I could freak out that much about anything. I guess they just think I'm mentally weak.

Btw, the formal is tomorrow; I'll have to wake up at 6am just to get to school at 8, because during the day, I will have to be 'Peer Support Leader' to the children coming from primary school into highschool and do the grand tour of the place, play games, run around etc etc. Before rushing home, getting ready and heading back out to the formal.

There just seems to be more and more reasons not to go that extends beyond my actual phobia, and I can't help but think it's a little more than a coincidence. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

/end rent. Heh. ^^;;
    Thanks for listening, lmao, if you actually got through all of that, you're a saint.

Also xD; Sorry if this was typed up on the wrong board o.o;;

I am always tempted to skip out on things and let my anxiety get the best of me. But it forces your brain to re-learn if you go into things scared and then realize there was nothing to worry about.

I hope that made sense. Whenever i have plans to go somewhere I get really jittery,sweaty and freaked out before I have to go. Then usually I'm fine once I'm there for a while

By the way I went to 3 proms and I am glad I did. Proms and dances only come when you're in high school!

Ok it's your formal you definitely need to go or you'll regret it for the rest of your life!!!

Also the late period, migraines etc could just be due to stress/anticipation for the big night as it gets closer, those things can quite often be psychological due to worry.

I reckon concentrate on finding your dress/shoes/jewellery... Also make-up and hair! That should take your mind off everything else [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Who cares if something could go wrong? If you dwell on what COULD go wrong, then somethin WILL go wrong! Just relax I'm sure you'll have an awesome time! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Lauren xx

Aww I think you'll have a great time! From personal experience when I freak myself out about going somewhere ... but go anyhow ... I end up laughing at myself later as I usually have a very good time. Just try to relax and remember you can leave any time you want.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for all the replies!
    =D!
    I ended up going! And the only thing I regret is not taking more photos! ^____^ Emet was completely absent during the whole night! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Yay for you! Glad it worked out well and you didn't deprive yourself of the formal.

I have a saying ---- "You can't go back to your prom." It has a lot of meanings, but at the literal sense it means you have to go.

Stella

Oh I'm sooo glad you went!!

I was worried you wouldn't go, or if you did go you may of had a very anxious night... So glad to here you had a wonderful night & that you didn't worry one little bit!

Good on ya!

Be proud for making yourself go & not letting your phobia take over [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

YAY! I'm so happy for you and that you went! And what a great point of reference for future events you feel this way about.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for all the kind words! xD I'm so glad I went. I feel way more confident about going to big nights in the future x]