Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am due to go on a long haul flight from Kolkata to London on Sunday (18 April) and my fear of vomiting problem is coming to the fore.

I've had the fear ever since I can remember and spent much of my childhood in counselling over it - not that it did any good for me. Whenever I get into a situation where my anxiety is heightened - such as exams or a job interview - my throat dries up, I start retching and have to take valium to stopthe problem.

I've managed to force myself through life with greater difficulty than most. I've been living in India, my wife's home country,for the past six months despite my anxieties that I would catch one of the country's nasty stomach bugs - gastroenteritis, amoebic dysentry, etc. So far, I've had no problem, apart from the occasional bout of irritable bowel syndrome which always comes from eating different kinds of food.

But I've dealt with the vomiting fear by always reminding myself that a friend or relative is near at hand to look after me if anything did happen.I'll be flying back on my own, which has removed my psychological safety net. Consequently, I am scared stiff and will be relying on my little stock of valium to get me through check-in and customs - a very slow process in Kolkata.

What do other people do in these circumstances, when a sense of vulnerability heightens their phobia of vomiting?

well, for that reason i dont actually GO on plane journeys =/

but when i go ANYWHERE my anxiety suddenly increases, so i just keep myselof distracted with music or chewing gum and stuff, altho it sounds horrbile tht u actually retch from anxiety [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]cudnt imagine that

sorry, i dont really know what else to say, other than maybe this is a good chnce for you to prove to urself you dont NEED that psychological safety net, you are your own safety net.

good luck and i hope u hav a good time in London

Jen xxxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NO NO NO NO - you wont be sick. Please believe me when i say that you wont be - ok im not gonna bet my life on it but im pretty 99% sure that flying istn gonna make you sick. I have been a frequent flyer for ages and i have never seen / been or even felt mildy sick. I have been on long flights too and all ref the big V was fine. i know how easy it is for me to say dont worry - but id love to com fly with you and show you that it is all ok. Take lots to keep your mind busy - a walkman / discman is always useful - water to refresh and mints.

Any questions then ask away

emssss

I love to travel, and refuse to let my emet get in the way of that! I have flown many times, sometimes fairly long flights...and I have never gotten sick or ever heard or seen anyone get sick on a plane! I always have gum, mints and ginger hard candy with me. I also take a half a Dramamine before I get on the plane. And, always eat whatever they give you! Or, something at least....you are more likely to feel motion sickness on an empty stomach.

Good luck!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Hey Danny-

I completely sympathize as vomiting on an airplane is by FAR my greatest fear in the world. But, I fly anyway. I have been on plane rides across the world to the Philippines and back, and I have never witnessed anyone throw up, nor have I ever thrown up while on the plane.

If you are an emet, chances are that you rarely vomit - is that true? Then, what are the chances that you will get sick on that particular day during that particular time? Very very low. This is true, even if you are not an emet.

I also take a valium-related drug when I fly for two reasons...one is that it is calming and helps me through the stress. Another is that valium and valium-type drugs are anti-emetics.

Finally, ask yourself: What will happen if I get sick on the plane? Don't stop there....rather, work your way through to the end of the problem. So, you get sick. So what? What if people get grossed out? So what? What if you have to move to be by the bathroom? So what? The point is, no matter what happens on that plane, you WILL land, and you WILL get past that day and on to the next.

But, nothing is going to happen.People spend most of their time worrying about thingsthat never happen, and emets are probably the worstof those. So,what you are going through right now is the worst of what will happen for the next 3 days.

Good luck, please let us know how it went.
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

P.S. I see you are on-line. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.
    Soluene

Thanks for all your encouragement - it's great.

My fear of vomiting isn't really related to the flying element, but the fear of getting ill on the way - like a stomach bug or something. It's a fear I get whenever I feel trapped or faced with a challenge I can't escape from. I guess the psychology bit is about not being in control of what's going on and not having someone around to help out when things go wrong. It makes me feel stupid.

The worst aspect of flying is the sick bag they give you. It reminds me of my phobia.

I know I'm posting like crazy to your message - but I have this exact same fear! Of coming down with something while flying. That is at the very, very top of my fear list!

Here is another way I look at it: NO ONE wants to get sick while flying. The difference is that we worry about it and they (meaning, non-emets)don't. It helps me to compare myself to my friend who has arachnophobia. She is constantly worried that a spider will descend from the ceiling onto her head, or that one will creep up on her while she is in bed. Those events would definitely freak me out! But, unless it happens (and it happens so rarely), I don't even give it a 2nd thought.

The point is, you are torturing yourself right now for no reason. Worrying about it does not give you any more control over the situation, and you are probably making it worse by imagining the horrible events in your head. So, like I said before, if those images are crowding your thoughts, force yourself to see them through to their "horrible" end - which you will find isn't really that bad at all.
    Soluene

You rock, Pilar. Great advice - you should go into psychology!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

[img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img]

Oh, thanks Sage! I'm just trying to convey what I've learned in the past few years!
    Soluene

Quote Originally Posted by soluene

P.S. I see you are on-line. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

Yeah me too!

<font color=BLUE>I LOVE TO LAUGH!</font>