Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I always thought I was so safe using anti-bac all the time, and now I learn that it doesn't kill the sv, the one thing I was trying to kill (I don't even really care about cold germs, etc). Does anyone know of any waterless sanitizers that kill the sv? I saw virablock online but the company looks sketchy. I do wash my hands all the time but need something else for when I'm driving, etc. Thanks! Edited by: jenny98

I use Purell when I'm away from home, I think it's better than nothing and my friend told me that her pediactrician told her that rubbing alcohol kills everything. So as long as the sanitizer has at least 62% ethyl alcohol it should work.

That's the best we can do, and it's not 100% anyway. Just don't put your hands in your mouth!

Actually, alcohol doesn'twork to kill norovirus. At least not in a hand-sanitizer. We have this question a lot of times, so if you try searching for some older threads you can see the discussion...
    When a doctor says something "kills everything" s/he usually means it kills DANGEROUS stuff, and doctors don't consider noroviruses to be dangerous - even to children.

I think GermZapper is one that some folks use - it contains the active anti-VIRAL ingredient.

But the best thing is always always always washing your hands with plain soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for clarifying. I would go nuts trying to find a special sanitizer!

My friend does day care and cleans everything with bleach water or rubbing alcohol and she has pretty good luck with her kids so far.

Yup - bleach is great for cleaning surfaces. (Diluted bleach, that is). But you can't use it on your hands - it's quite toxic and can get absorbed into your body through your skin.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

anything with Benzalkonium Chloride kills noro... GermX contain this, so
    do most WetOnes.

I have some Germ X on my desk and it doesnt have that ingredient in it. Hhmm....
    I use HandClens which has Benzalkonium Chloride in it. I love it and it smells kind of like apples.
    Georgi

good for you princess, always remembering Benzawhatzeehoozit Chloride...I ALWAYS forget and can't be bothered looking it up every time I see a thread like this! LOL

I use Wet Ones brand anti-septic. The main ingredient is Benzethonium Choride 0.3%.

According to wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzethonium_chloride

Benzethonium chloride exhibits a broad spectrum of microbiocidal activity against bacteria, fungi, mold and viruses. Independent testing shows that benzethonium chloride is highly effective against such pathogens as: MRSA, VISA, Salmonella, E. coli, C.diff, Hepatitis B and C, Herpes, HIV, RSV, and Norovirus.

And Wet Ones is widely available.
    Edited by: centipede

Friend me on Facebook

grgygrl... the GermX wipes list it as their main ingredient, but i think the
    gel is just alcohol.

Ah, gotcha. THanks [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi

Someone recommended a sanitiser on here called zapp-it (which does kill Noro and 99.9% of bacteria, viruses and fungi)and I've ordered pretty much their whole product range ha ha [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Their website is http://www.zapp-it.co.uk/

I've just had a look and they don't seem to deliver to the US unfortunately although you could maybe email them and ask, if enough people requested it then maybe they would start.

I've got to leave work now but I'll come back on tomorrow and list the ingredients then you could see if there is an equivalent product available.

Actually, i've emailed several websites of hand sanitizers that claim
    to kill noro about this and here is the info they have all told me:

this is not meant to scare anyone:

No fda-approved company has actually isolated the human strain
    of norovirus
    (if we had already, we would have created a
    vaccine). [b]Instead, the hand sanitizers that claim to kill norovirus
    used the "murine" (dog) or "feline" (cat) strains. These strains are
    close (especially the murine) to the human strain, so the companies
    guess that it will be active against the human strain, which is most
    likely accurate! And this is the closest they have gotten so far.

Oh gosh, I was just using plain purell and thinking I was fine. Time to go out and stock up on new products.

you know what's interesting to me?

so many people here have been saying "i was just using purell and i
    thought i was safe! now i have to get new products!"
    (not to point out the person before me, sorry! but i've seen many posts
    like that).

but let's think about it. really. how often did you get sick while using
    that sanitizer that "doesn't work"? and did you feel better using it?

i guess getting over this phobia is realizing that we WERE safe all along.

Hi Moodyspasmodic, you're right in a way in that i felt quite ok using purell and the like and i didn't v* for over 10 years but i now know it was a false sense of security and now I know, i would never feel "safe" again and I wasn't actually safe all along because I got noro through eating out with my hands after using gel thinking i was protected when in fact i wasn't and if i'd used the zapp-it i wouldn't have got it.

I'm going to email zapp-it though and ask them about their claims re noro because you've got me worried now [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img] (easily done regarding anything to do with v* [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] )

I believe, from what I have read that the WetOnes, here in the States, is the best killer of noro ---- besides the best defense of washing hands.

However, hand washing is only effective if done for 20 seconds with soap while washing the backs of hands and in between the fingers. Running hands under water for a few seconds is ineffective.

Also a thing about the Wet Ones. When you use them you are wiping your hands and using a scrubbing motion. Alot of what I read indicates that the the actual motion of scrubbing your hands during hand washing is what gets rid of the virus. They did some study, a while back, where people washed quickly with soap and others scrubbed for 20 seconds without soap and the the ones who scrubbed had almost no virus on their hands while the soapy non scrubbers still had virus.

I know the Purell has given me a false sense of security. Now I know how I got a sv four years ago despite using Purell constantly to the point of my hands bleeding. My son has had the sv several times despite using Purell religiously.

Stella

Zapp-it haven't replied yet but the ingredients in the sanitising hand foam are:
    aqua
    didecyldimonium chloride
    lauralkonium chloride
    polyaminopropyl biguanide
    alcohol denat
    2-brom-2nitropropane-1
    3-diol

Which all sounds pretty scary stuff but it says on the bottle that it's fragrance free, non hazardous (except to noro with any luck) non-corrosive, non tainting, less than 0.5% alcohol and has a residual killing activity and paraben free. it says it has been formulated by microbilogists and tested in the UK and uses revolutionary biocidal technology to disinfect and biologically clean skin.

I'll let you know what they say in response to my email i.e is is it cat & dog noro (I didn't even know cats & dogs got noro ha ha!) that it kills or human? Edited by: paulinek

I just found a foaming hand sanitizer called Soapopular available in limited locations in the United States (I picked it up at a local SuperFresh). The active ingredient is Benz. Chloride, just like Wet Ones. I recommend buying it if you can get your hands on it!

Here is their website:

http://soapopular.ca/