Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Yourself or others?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yourself

17 25.37%
  • Others

7 10.45%
  • Both

43 64.18%

Hybrid View

Just curious...are you mostly afraid of yourself v*ing or others v*ing...or both? For me, it's mostly other people. I feel like I can mostly control when I will v*, but I have no control over others. It's the sound, the smell, the sight...ugh. I freak out if anybody even says that they don't feel well, I'm outta there! I mostly can't stand the sound. I automatically run away and cover my ears.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Rachel,

I am terrified of others vomiting, but primarily because I am afraid of catching something; I am terrified beyond terrified of myself vomiting. I can escape other people vomiting, but I can't escape myself vomiting.

I also understand where you're coming from.

~Madeleine
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

I voted both, but only because I could catch it, and then be sick myself. SV mostly scares me because of the repeat instances. That is terrifying.

If someone is drunk or motion sick, I don't like it, but I can tolerate it without a panic attack.

Scaredycat,

Me too!Edited by: maddyblythechen
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

Both. I think equally.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Both but only if it's something contagious, if the person is drunk or pregnant or something I don't freak out at all.

everything about being sick makes me freak out. other people and me. although I think it's worse when it's me because I can't exactly run away from it

Mostly other people...I'm not scared of me doing the act itself, BUT I still don't want to do it. I definately am afraid of myself catching a stomach bug even though I'm not afraid of the actual act.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Both - but primarily because i'm worried about catching it off someone else. If I know for a fact someone has v* for something not contagious (like being drunk) then I'm still absolutely terrified, and would run a mile or shut my eyes,cover my ears up and hold my nose (yes all at the same time - index fingers in ears and little fingers on nose [img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img] ) but I wouldn't stress over it for days on end worrying if i was going to get s* too.

I was afraid of both, but never afraid of "catching" anything. I was only afraid of myself doing it in public somewhere (or during a medical procedure). But for sure, the fear of someone else was astronomical! Ridiculously crazily high! If someone looked pale, or was quiet, or anything like that I would run away! It was horribly terrifying. I'm so glad those days are over.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I'm terrified of both, but I think I'm more worried of doing it myself. When I was younger, I even used to freak out when someone was v* on tv. Meanwhile, I'm cope better with that, but I still panic when somebody near me gets sick. Of course the predominent thought in such a situation is that I may catch a bug, but even when a co-worker who was pregnant started v* at work last year (because of her pregnancy) I started trembling and had all these panic sympoms. Edited by: catmom

Both. Me, anyone else, on the telly, in a book/magazine anything and anywhere!! If I had to choose obviously I would rather someone else do it than me but even hearing it brings on a panic attack.

Others too, but myself much much more.

I don't get it...before age 10 I was only afraid of other people...now it's
    both and it's getting worse.

I only worry about other people v* if it is from a sickness that I can catch that will make me v* too (like, if someone had too much alcohol and they v* I really would not care very much). I primarily worry about myself v*.