Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was out with a bunch of my friends, having a great time. Now, this is rare for me, as I am usually pretty depressed. For once I was happy, having fun, and feeling carefree. I was so excited that for one night, just one night in a million, I could enjoy myself without anxiety or depression. So then my friend tells me that he's feeling sick and we need to leave. He was my ride so I got in his car and on the way home he pulled over to be sick. It was long, and terrible. He was VERY sick. Then he drove a little more, and got sick again. I asked if it was from drinking, but he hadn't drank much and he told me it was definitely a virus. He could tell it was a different feeling that drunk sick. So I had to wait at his apartment for my cab to take me home and he got sick 2 more times. By this time I was losing my mind. I finally got in the cab, got home, showered and sprayed lysol on all my things. But unfortuanately, we shared a piece of pizza tonight, so I am positive I will get sick. I hate just waiting for the sickness to take over. I hate that I don't know when it will happen. It will be within the next week I know, but this week will be hell for me. I won't be able to eat or sleep well, or anything. The joy has been sucked out of my life for at least a week. Why does this have to be so powerful? I have so many things I need and want to do this week, but now it will all be in a frightened daze. I haven't been able to stop crying since I got home. I feel like such a disaster and no one understands how bad it is. I hate being alone in this. It hurts so much and makes me feel like an outcast, a freak. I am in my own world when this happens and no one understands. Okay, I need to just end this post because it could go one forever. I haven't posted on this forum in years, but this is so hard. I just need some support, some answers, some people who know how this feels. Thanks in advance.
    -<-(@
    Kira
    -<-(@

I think you are the bravest person in the world for being able to stay in
    that car with him the whole way home! You should be proud of your
    strength in that situation. Seriously I would have been out on the footpath
    and running holding my breath and calling a cab from around the corner.

I know what you mean about finally feeling happy. It is so sad that it is
    such a rare feeling for people with this debilitating phobia.
    As is the case with us emits, 99% of the time we dont get sick. I know
    nothing will stop the fear you feel right now, but the reality is that in a
    weeks time you will look back on this and think "thank goodness, I've
    stayed well all week". Then that happy can come back
    xxx hugs to you

If he actually has an sv, then your chances of catching it are still slim, as long as he has decent hygeine (washing hands after using bathroom!). SV's are only spread by fecal-oral route and v*-oral route. But many kudos to you for handling this so well! I know you're freaking out, but you sound calm! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] If I'd been in your shoes, I'd have walked home...NO MATTER THE DISTANCE!!!!!!

I agree with the others - you were really strong to be able to get in that car
    with him. Nothing would have got me in there - plus you hung around
    waiting for your cabin his apartment. I would have been waiting on the
    street whatever the weather.
    I don't think the sharing the pizza thing will necessarily mean you will get
    sick if I have understood the posts on the way the virus spreads correctly.
    You probably have very good hygiene habits and I bet you will be fine. Let
    us know how you get on and well done for coping so well with the
    nightmare.

Kudos to you for getting in the car in the first place!!! Then staying in the car and waiting for your cab -- I'm with EVERYONE else I would have most likely stayed at the bar and called a cab from there or at least gotten out of the car the first time and called from my cell -- pick me up at the corner of X & Z!!!

You are very brave -- as for sharing the pizza I don't think you should be worried -- (not saying you should be or that I wouldn't be) but really the research says the virus spreads through contact with v* not necessarily a persons saliva before they've been sick -- I think you well be just fine!!!!

Yes, I have kissed my hubby before he got sick, or my kids, and I've never gotten it from that. We definitely shared saliva very shortly before the illness and I was fine! I'm sure you will be too!
    JANNA

You definately couldn't have caught it that easily. He would have had to have been sick, then shared a slice of pizza with you. You were extremely brave though and managed to make it through the night! Kudos to you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sydoz, you're amazing. When I was phobic I NEVER would have gotten in a car with someone who even mildly said they didn't feel well.

As for catching it, the others are right - you can't get it from sharing pizza with him. The only way you can get it is if he didn't wash his hands after using the bathroom and touched something that you eventually put in your mouth. What are the odds of that? Pretty slim, I'd think.

I hope you can stay calm and enjoy the time before Christmas.

I'm also sorry that your day was ruined. Bad mojo that day, eh? Sometimes that seems to happen, don't ask me why...
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.