Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've heard that most people with emetophobia say that the anxiety leading up to v-ing is scarier than the actual experience, and if it happens, they realize afterward that it wasn't as terrible as they thought it would be.

This is not the case with me. I v-ed about a year ago, and then again in July. The time before that was over 6 years ago. I only started noticing this phobia about three and a half years ago, for reasons unknown to me, so the times in the last year are the only two times that it's really affected me when it's happened to me personally. Both times seemed to reaffirm my fear. I collapsed on the floor crying, traumatised, and didn't have the capacity to move for indefinite amounts of time that felt like hours. After one incident, I had nightmares off and on for the next few weeks.

From reading about other people's experiences, I have a feeling this isn't typical at all. Is there anyone else who has had similar experiences?

My phobia gets worse everytime it happens to me. I start avoiding more things trying to eliminate whatever might have caused it. To me, the actual act of v* is worse than the anxiety. I would rather be anxious all the time that be sick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I concur with marycontrary!

Oh yeah!! I would rather feel sick for days then vomit once. The times that I have vomited I can't get out of my head. It just keeps replaying its self over and over. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Olli,

THANK YOU for making me feel like I am not alone!!

~Madeleine
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

yea but when I do vomit I know I won't do it again for a couple of years

i am actually totally different!!
    last time i v* bc of food poisioning and for about 2 weeks to a month after it happened i wasnt scared bc i realized it wasnt as bad as i make it in my head....

but after i go for a while without being s* the fear comes back!

but i get this weird feeling of happiness when it happens bc ive overcome the worst thing in the world (in my mind)

If you're scared enough, for sure you'll re-traumatize yourself by going through it. You're not alone in this at all.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I'm so glad I have found this site . I'm a normal pretty sucessful person .
    I'm 28 years old and this fear has consumed my life . I do agree that
    after it happens I feel that I have overcome the worst thing in my life and
    it does make me feel happy . However right now it is winter time and it
    has been 2 years and 3 months since I have done it . I m so scared
    every day I'm gonna get it because I think it's about time. If my
    employees even say they feel naucious I send them home . How long
    have some of you guys gone? Is my time up?

Mark- you have gone hardly any time at all! As you will soon find out from browsing this site, there are many people who go 10, 20, sometimes 30+ years without v*. Right now i'm at about 6 years since my last episode. But I know the feeling that your time is up, that is how I feel everyday! Don't worry I think you are safe for awhile.