Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I avoid things that led me to V in the past.. like things i ate, things i watched, things i did, places i went. the last time i V ed, i stopped drinking the juice i had, the foods i ate, in fear of eating them again because of what happened, i refuse to do things that would resebmle the past, i will not eat ice cream anymore because in kindergarten i got the stomach bug and the last thing i ate was ice cream, so im terrified of it. i wont do out of the ordinary stuff, such as things i did around the times i V ed affraid if i do it will bring back the past! like the last time i got sick i was laying on the coutch and it happened, now i will NEVER lay on my parents coutch in that same area again, infact i will never sit on their coutchs only the recliner!

and my other question

How many of you stil V with this phobia? how many times have you done it? and could this be the cause of why i have the phobia. i only Ved twice in my life im 21 years old, i had the stomach bug in grade school, i was 5 years old 2 days of doing the deed, and if i remember right i was scared, i remember after the first 2 times i sat on the coutch with my head over the edge crying! then the second time i was 11, i was in 6th grade, im now going to be 22 in in april. and it seems this fear jsut keeps getting worse and worse! is it because of how little i do it?
    i remember both times pretty much detail by detail, and it keeps replaying in my mind when i get worried and start panicing. I associate the feelings i had and how things happend the last time with what happens now and i start to freak out.

Edited by: driftinggoddess

I do the same thing. I have only been sick 1 time in the last 19 years. But I remember what I ate in the past as a kid what made me sick or what I was wearing when it happened. Now I avoid that list of things. Even 20 years later.

Hello!
    Well, I tend to avoid certain things that could make me sick, but sometimes I think I have them under control and I am wrong. One main thing is alcohol. I know it will make me sick, so I usually don't go past 2 drinks unless it is an extended period of time. Now it's been a rough couple years, and I drank too much a few times with bad results. You know up until the actual moment I was terrified,. I tried everything from crackers to lying still to trying to will it away. When it happened, it really wasn't that bad and over so quick. Yet, each time, knowing it wasn't so bad, I would still be terrified. I guess I have actually not been actually sick since I was in middle school, but I have made myself sick from drinking. so food and such have no fright to me. the last time I was really sick, I was young (middle school), but I remember where it was at and I never did eat there again. it went out of business a few years later.

My main thing to avoid is seeing other people do it. Movies are especially bad for me, and television is getting worse and worse. going to parties doesn't happen often, and I try to leave before anyone gets drunk. Really spend a lot of time trying to ask people if there is bad stuff in movies or on a show, and if I even think it might happen I hid behind covers, pillows, hands. All of my family and friends know if they see something in a movie to text me right away not to see it. I am so sensitive about seeing it... more so than doing it myself.

Goddess,
    I only V twice in my life too, that I can remember (and I'm pretty sure I remember all of them bc I remember the two times really well!) I haven't V since I was around 8, and I'm 28 now. I do think that is part of the reason why I have this phobia. You basically described me in your post! I refused to use the same pillowcase after the last time I did it! And every night I had to say to my mom, Good night, I love you, sleep well. 3 times or else I was sure I was going to V!
    Anyway, if we are at all the same, since I found this site a few weeks ago, I have been trying to desensitize myself. I actually go to that webpage rate my V and make myself look at the photos. I think it's helping. bc I think my emet is, like Sage said once, based on avoidance.Maybe that will help you too.
    Good luck to all of us!

OMG. I can't belive you go on 'rate my vomit'. I would never go on there! I wonder what those people are thinking......."Wow that was a good one, pass me the camera!"

So gross!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I know! It's totally gross, but it helps to take away the mystery for me, since I haven't v in more than 20 years!

that site would make me queezy!

drifting,
    the kind of "superstitions" you describe are really quite common - I hear from lots of folks on here who are exactly the same way. So you're not weird.

But in answer to your other question, the reason you have a phobia, and the phobia is getting worse, is directly related to those superstitions. Fears become phobias through avoidance. The more you avoid what you fear, the greater the fear gets. For most of us, a time comes when we stop avoiding - such as going out of the house. But there are some phobics who are trapped in their bathrooms, for instance. One woman sat on a toilet for so many YEARS that the toilet seat got stuck to her flesh.
    (Now this sort of thing would take a family who "enables" the fear).
    Anyway, slowly but surely try to stop avoiding those things. They make no sense, right? Laying on your parents' couch would not make anyone sick. It's just that avoiding it for so long has made it into a monster.

Try to start with something small, then work your way up. You will feel MUCH better! And you'll be proud of yourself for triumphing over each thing!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.