Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey all,

Okay I know no politics on here, but this isnt quite politics, its more in realation to phobias and such.

Okay well, Ive heard that both men AND women between the ages of (I belive it is) 18-25 can be drafted to go to war, and that this could be a reality in the future about Iraq. Well this has me scared crapless, cause I fall right in that age bracket, and I know there is no way in hell that I could be mentally uhmm okay enough to handle fighting in a war. I mean I have phobia of loud noises, plus of course emet, and that would literally make it hell. I think I would have a mental breakdown really. Would they allow someone like this, well, force someone like this, to fight anways?? Man, sorry its just a real bad topic.

I am not sure to tell you the truth..but its scarey isnt it?? My husband and I fall in that category as well..my husband would jump at the chance..i on the other hand would flee to canada!!!!

There is NO way i would be able to leave home to fight in a war..i can just barely take a 30 minute trip to shop with a friend!

And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

i thought about that too like "what if that war isnt over by the time i get to 18?" [i'm 15]. I would never go. I hate loud noises too. Scares me so much. I'm always putting my hands over my ears. Anyway maybe that would be taken into account. i hope it would. I mean i dont think if someone who is really unable to they would make them. sorry if that didnt make sense...
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Yeah that is a really frightening prospect. Canada sounds like a good idea!

Even though we have cold winters, I am glad to live here
    because of that. I am NOT only emetophobic BUT I am also necrophobic! I
    am extremely phobic of anything related to death and dead bodies. Like
    I am not overly phobic of myself v'ing like I am of others as far as my
    emet goes, I am not exactly phobic of myself dying either. I jump when
    I see a coffin, I hate cemeteries and if I *have* to attend a funeral I
    cant be near the casket but have this morbid way of staring at it too.
    Luckily I havent been to very many funerals. Everytime I drive by a
    ravine I always almost know there could be a dead decaying body in
    there!! So being drafted would be a horrible nightmare come true for
    me. However I dont have to worry about being drafted since I am 29 as
    well. But yeah, scary scary scary

Miriam

</font>

I have heard about this, and I really think it's indeedly evil that they are allowed to draft people. Anyways, I hope that any phobia that severely affects people would be taken into account, but since a lot of people don't really understand very well... I'm only 12, 13 on Friday, so I don't really have to worry, but I hope anyone within the age can find a way out, if they want.
    -Anna

Yeah, I mean call it cowardly, but I dont think its cowardly to admit what you know you cannot handle. Canada would sound reeeeealll good to me in that case. Ive been reading that the draft very likely could be in effect middle of next year. Man and I guess even if I went to Canada to avoid the draft, they could still call me back if my # was picked, because it would be leaving due to escaping the draft.

Just to reassure all of you, there is no possible way any of you would be drafted. Not only do they give physical examinations during a draft, but also mental ones as well. They are not going to draft someone who is not capable of handling the job.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Indeed, they do give mental examinations. So i guess that puts all of us out of contention. If not, see you guys in canadia!
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </a>

Well..the EASIEST way to avoid the draft is to stay in school. A full time student CANNOT be drafted. That's why so many people during Vietnam went to college...because they knew that they couldnt get drafted that way.

As far as our mental state, unfortunately I don't think they'd give a s*** about us. They're probably 'everyone is afraid of something, get over it!!' Personally, I'd just make out with one of the female nurses...hahahahaha...no gays in the military!!!!

But I would'nt worry about it too much. They're going to start from the bottom (18 year olds) and make their way up to the 25 year olds....women coming at the last possible point that they can.

Hope this eases your mind at least a bit! School doesn't seem so bad afterall, does it [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Peace,
    Allyson

\"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains And we never even know we have the key\"

\"We are all just prisoners here of our own device\"

Someone who can't even leave their house wouldn't be drafted.

Besides, they wouldn't draft women anyway.

what a horrible night to have a curse.

I am not sure if they draft women in the US but in Israel they do.</font>

I have been reading, and sorry to burst bubbles, but every article that I read said WOMEN would be included in this new draft PLUS the "old escapees" of going to college fulltime and/or esaping to Canada are no longer gonna cut it.

If you go to college fulltime, you only stay in till your done with that semester, then you go get drafted, and they have this thing implimented with Canada that I guess equates to they can take you back and put you in service (I will dig up some articles if you want to know further about it). But its getting rougher.

This makes me so angry and I don't even live in the US. However am gonna keep my political feelings away (for once) lol

Its really harsh, I think if you choose to go into the army because you want to, thats fair enough, but you should not be dragged into it. There is such a thing as free will. Surely there would be too much opposition and uproar about it?But I do not know what its like in America.

Even if Drafting comes into place I don't think they would call up people with such mental health difficulties, they dont want anyone who is at risk of being mentally Probably wont be any use to them. Thats not meant to be as insulting as it sounds btw

I hope everything will be ok.

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Hey Hippy!!

No offense taken! I know I would be useless to them. Man, I too don't think its really fair to force people against their will to fight personally, but thats just my view. I know its only the ages of 18-25 or 26. I thought it was only men tho??? I would like to know WHEN it became women included on this too? Is that just a real recent thing or something? The scary thing is Im 21, so I still got 4-5 years till I could breathe easy!

Another thing is, say I did flee this country, how long is it till I am no longer considered a USA citizen?? I mean they can call you back, so its like, you can't run or hide. But when would i no longer be under USA law?? Edited by: Galadriel

I'm quite sure they conduct a mental examination, and a severe anxiety disorder as you all have would exclude you all from eligibility.

As an aside, they day they draft young people to go fight a war that no one's even sure what it's about...is the day your entire country would start an uproar...vote out the government (if they don't already)...or protest BIG TIME.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

i've just heard that they were "thinking" about getting women into the draft. they can't get you if you haven't registered and you haven't been asked to so don't worry about it. all men have to register when they are 18. that's the only way they know you are out there.

i really wouldn't worry about it. i'm 25 though, so they wouldn't be coming after me anyway.

they aren't just going to suddenly start doing it. they would have to get people registered first.
    elizabeth

Sage- Yeah I agree, I mean it would probably be an uproar at something like that happening again. But then even if there was an uproar, we couldn't fight the law could we??

Lizard- Yeah thats what I heard too, that the are thinking about it. I didn't think it was in place already, because you have to register to be drafted, and I of course have not. Even so, if you do not register, there are penalties to pay, either jail time or fines.

Wow - thats really interesting - as far as i know we DONT have that in the UK - Louise help me out! LOL! I totally agree with Louise though - i mean fair enough if u joined he army but they cant just send people away surely...thats like in the 2nd world war etc etc etc

besides - what war is being planned now - are they sending more troops to Iraq...?

Quote Originally Posted by ejb199
    Wow - thats really interesting - as far as i know we DONT have that in the UK - Louise help me out! LOL! I totally agree with Louise though - i mean fair enough if u joined he army but they cant just send people away surely...thats like in the 2nd world war etc etc etc

besides - what war is being planned now - are they sending more troops to Iraq...?

Hey there,

Yeah it would be in relation to the whole deal going on with Iraq. I guess (from what I have heard) there are troops spread too far all around and they may need more, so the draft could be a possibility. That's neat that you don't have it over there in the UK. I don't agree with it personally, but thats just my view. I think if an issue is a worthy cause, then people will want to fight for it and you won't need to have to force people into serving.