Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've been trying to cure myself on my own by gradually exposing myself to pictures of vomit, then videos, then perhaps i'll actually make myself do it. Just the pictures alone are horrible. I think if I start telling myself that I'm not in any danger, that throw up is OK then maybe it'll be a little bit easier and perhaps more effective, yea?

Also, I'm nauseous every day because my stomach produces too much bile. I think that once I have that issue under control, that this should all go away.

Well, I suggest that you don't make yourself throw up ever! But exposure is probably a good idea. Try linking to Sage's website for more info on desensitization and other therapy options. Have you been diagnosed by a health professional as producing too much bile? If so what are you doing about it? If not, I'm sure you're aware that your anxiety about v* could itself be causing a significant portion of your nausea, as could IBS which a lot of us suffer from to one degree or another. there have been times when I have been nauseated every day and never v*ed for very long stretches of time, and also fairly long stretches of time when my anxiety and nausea were both relatively under control. I wish you the best of luck in overcoming this phobia.

Pouponer, what's probably happening is that you're LOOKING at the pictures, but you're not implementing the right strategies while looking at them. It's not too hard to explain, although it's better with a therapist. You should look at the "easiest" picture until you are completely bored with it and it causes NO anxiety on a scale of 0-10 with 10 being too much anxiety to tolerate and 0 being none. Keep a log or journal of how high your anxiety is before you start, when you first look at it, and then after 1 minute, 5 minutes, etc. (you judge what the intervals should be). You should also be able to implement relaxation techniques (you can practice with the commitment of an Olympian using online guided relaxation Cds or downloads) You must ALSO prepare some "positive cognitions" to recite to yourself - just as you suggested - such as "I'm not in any DANGER" "I'm afraid, but I'm alright" or "I'm fine. I feel good." (whatever one you like best).
    Practice, practice, practice! Remember you can't learn to play the piano in a day or a week, but with lots of learning, attention and practice you can. It's the same with reprogramming your brain not to be afraid. It took a long time to get that way, so be patient with yourself in that it may take a long time to get better.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.