Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I notice that whenever I wake up from sleeping I feel really awful. Very weak and sometimes a little bit of that icky nausea. Its really hard to explain but its very uncomfortable. Makes me not want to sleep or even take naps. What could this be?

I get it too. 'specially when I take naps (the reason why i don't take em anymore!). Just that tired feeling of waking up and feeling all groggy!!!

Try to do some stretchs to wake up, this is what I do. Or splash some water on your face, and don't forget to eat!

I do the same thing... especially for napping. We actually had a post about that on the previous site and it seems like most people feel gross after taking a nap. The only real reason anyone could think of is that when you take a nap that's any longer than 15-20 minutes, your body tends to enter the next stage of sleep and once that happens your body needs to go through all the stages before you feel refreshed... this is also why many little kids who areawakened upfrom their naps rather than allowed to sleep the full time are generallywhiney and in a bad mood.

Perhaps you are getting up too fast in the mornings. It's best to set your alarm clock about 15 minutes before youneed to get up and then hit the snooze when it goes off and lay there for 15 minutes giving your body time to wake up. I pretty much feel icky in the morning no matter what because I realize that I have to actually get up and do something so I've got to get motivated.

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Hehe well what I was going to say has already been said. So I will just agree and say that I have had that. I use to get it in the morning all the time. Not so much anymore I think because I went through the whole getting up all night with the baby feedings.

My husband has always had it and he still does. He has to hit the snooze a few times and he cuddles and stretches and when he does get up he doesn't feel so bad. Hehhe he sometimes will grab a coke for the caffeine to wake up totally.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I always feel awful in the morning until I drink some water. Maybe that will help.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

I'm with Melikasa's husband on the Coke thing. Not healthy at all, but I find it helps me wake up and not feel nauseous....

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

The first thing i drink in the morning is a Coke, its so bad and unhealthy, but it settles my stomach just right and gives me the start that i need. soemtimes in the mornign the nausea and dizzyness comes from not having eaten anything (cos you were asleep obviously) and so the coke helps with that too.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckygalrk

I do the same thing... especially for napping. We actually had a post about that on the previous site and it seems like most people feel gross after taking a nap. The only real reason anyone could think of is that when you take a nap that's any longer than 15-20 minutes, your body tends to enter the next stage of sleep and once that happens your body needs to go through all the stages before you feel refreshed... this is also why many little kids who areawakened upfrom their naps rather than allowed to sleep the full time are generallywhiney and in a bad mood.

Perhaps you are getting up too fast in the mornings. It's best to set your alarm clock about 15 minutes before youneed to get up and then hit the snooze when it goes off and lay there for 15 minutes giving your body time to wake up. I pretty much feel icky in the morning no matter what because I realize that I have to actually get up and do something so I've got to get motivated.

~Rachel

Rachel, I just wanted to add that I agree with what you said 100%!! My therapist and I talked about this the other day actually!! I have trouble though. Everytime I get home from school/shopping, I lay down and sleep for at least an hour and a half, and wake up feeling crappy and unable to sleep at night. Any ideas on how I can get rid of this nasty habit?[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neha, go exercise instead of sleep, it will refresh you even more than a nap, and better yet, you'll be tired when you ARE ready to go to bed.

hm, looks like I'm in the minority here! Whenever I feel sick I just lay down and sleep and wake up feeling much better. Though sometimes in the morning when I get up I feel a little bad but after water or tea and food it's fine. Never had the nap thing happen though; they always make me feel great.
    what a horrible night to have a curse.

It is soooo tempting to lay down and doze off but I pop the baby in the stroller and we go for an invigorating walk. I try and pick it up a notch from a stroll so that I am kind of speed walking and when I get back I feel much better.

I EVEN go now if I am feeling a little queasy ( a shorter slower one mind you[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]) But I always feel better by the time I get back and then I am soo ready to plop into bed at night.

PS The coke thing is great. Yes bad for us in the morning but hey there IS worse

Hubby can't live without one when he feels like that in the morning[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

well... it sounds like I'm not the only one who drinks soda in the mornings. I'm actually going to be getting tested for Diabetes here shortly because I've been having a lot of symptoms and it runs in my family (what I would do without sugar I have NO idea!)

Neha... One of the symptoms I was refering to up there is exhaustion all the time, no matter how much sleep I get my whole body just feels weak and tired all the time and I always want to take a nap in the afternoons and wake up feeling gross. Sometimes I'll even sleep 12 or 13 hours a night and STILL feel exhausted. The only way I find to keep from napping is just to keep my mind working all the time... watching television is the WORST way to do that... trust me... lol... I've tried. Best is to go out and take a walk as the others have suggestedor sit down at the computer and start surfing. Then... this actually makes going to bed at a decent hour possible and by bedtime I fall asleep almost instantly.

Skon, I find that when I'm actually feeling really bad then all I want to do is lay down and sleep and that sometimes makes me feel better... but if I feel fine and lay down... I just feel terrible waking up. Some people can handle naps, it truly depends on the body's sleep pattern... you may go through the steps faster or slower. You're one of the lucky ones! I'd love to be able to take a nap... I'm quite the lover of curling up in bed and getting a good snooze!

~Rachel
    My journal

wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ChippedAway
    Neha, go exercise instead of sleep, it will refresh you even more than a nap, and better yet, you'll be tired when you ARE ready to go to bed.

Thank you Chipped Away for the WONDERFUL IDEA!!!! I will DEFINETLY have to try that one!!! Thanks!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckygalrk

Neha... One of the symptoms I was refering to up there is exhaustion all the time, no matter how much sleep I get my whole body just feels weak and tired all the time and I always want to take a nap in the afternoons and wake up feeling gross. Sometimes I'll even sleep 12 or 13 hours a night and STILL feel exhausted. The only way I find to keep from napping is just to keep my mind working all the time... watching television is the WORST way to do that... trust me... lol... I've tried. Best is to go out and take a walk as the others have suggestedor sit down at the computer and start surfing. Then... this actually makes going to bed at a decent hour possible and by bedtime I fall asleep almost instantly.

~Rachel

Rachel,

What you described is so me!! That's why I take naps so often in the daytime!! I get so tired during the daytime that I can't handle it!!! Sometimes, on Saturdays, I will get up and then eat breakfast, take a nap, wake up, do something, eta lunch, take a nap...HORRIBLE for my health. But thank you SOOO much for all your tips and advice!! It's great to know that someone can relate!!!!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

I usually feel really gross in the mornings too. It's been at it's worst the
    past couple years, but I'm pretty sure it comes from something that
    happened when I was younger: I woke up one morning, felt kind of
    crappy, had some breakfast, then v*ed. I didn't v* very much when I was
    younger, probably cause I was emet, so each event kind of sticks out in
    my mind.
    Anyways, the morning thing was pretty bad last summer, after I
    graduated, although most of it was probably anxiety from not being in
    school anymore (after fourteen years of being in school, and then just...
    not, it can be pretty stressful). I would get all shaky, couldn't eat anything
    or I'd get a stomachache, nausea... I still get it, not quite as bad, but
    sometimes if it's a crappy day, I don't want to even get out of bed in the
    morning. I work evenings, so if I sleep till 2, it's not gonna kill me at
    work, but it isn't healthy. Also, I have insomnia most nights, so I'm
    usually tired all day from lack of sleep.
    So, I don't have any answers, but I know how you feel. It's good to know
    that I'm not the only one. If I find anything that works, I'll let you know!
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

Hey Alli,

Most of the instances where I have been sick happened in the morning, and when I start to feel bad when I wake up, or I wake up from feeling nauseaus, I get scared that I may be ill. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I do find that I get nauseaus both in the morning and at night before I go to bed. In the morning, I can hardly eat breakfast sometimes, because I don't feel like eating anything really, but I HAVE to. Because of my medication, and if I don't eat, I know I will feel worse. I also feel really nauseaus at night time before going to bed. Something about the night scares me and makes me feel uncertain. I'm not sure. But it makes it hard to sleep, and I often find myself tossing and turning. Not fun. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]So, I can in a way, relate to what you are saying.
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

I sometimes wake up with a sour stomach feeling, like there's acid in there or something. But then after I get up, get dressed, sit on the couch and drink some water, I feel better. An hour or so later, I'm starving and ready for breakfast. My tummy just needs to "wake up" before I put anything into it.

As far as the sugar thing goes, I had problems too, where I was tired ALL the time and took regular naps and still felt horrible and nauseous. I don't know if I'm really diabetic, but I noticed when I gave up sugar, I felt much better. I still get carbohydrates, like pasta, but I avoid the cookies, candy bars, etc. (except at certain times of the month.) But I'm feeling a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by HDogg

I sometimes wake up with a sour stomach feeling, like there's acid in there or something. But then after I get up, get dressed, sit on the couch and drink some water, I feel better. An hour or so later, I'm starving and ready for breakfast. My tummy just needs to "wake up" before I put anything into it.

As far as the sugar thing goes, I had problems too, where I was tired ALL the time and took regular naps and still felt horrible and nauseous. I don't know if I'm really diabetic, but I noticed when I gave up sugar, I felt much better. I still get carbohydrates, like pasta, but I avoid the cookies, candy bars, etc. (except at certain times of the month.) But I'm feeling a lot better.

Hey Heather,

Glad to hear you are feeling a lot better now!!! I don't think I have the audacity to give up sugars!!!!! I'm not strong enough!! LOL!!! You are brave to give all those things up!!! How do you deal with cravings and such??? Maybe that would help me a lot as sugar/caffeine doesn't help anxiety at all...in fact the opposite.
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Just a note: I've read that the number 1 cause of afternoon fatigue is dehydration. My husband was suffering from that for a while, but when he started drinking water, he felt much better. And caffeine of course causes dehydration! You should drink 1 glass of water for every can of soda!
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

Hmmm...thanks for the advice Pilar!!! Will definetly take that into account!!!!!The truth is that I don't drink enough water. I carry a water bottle with me most of the time, but I never really drink it. [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

i always have to at least have a 2 hour nap if i do nap or else i'll be groggy.
    ♥Stephanie

Thanks to sarah140 for my avatar and Fiona for my siggie

\"We can\'t help everyone. But everyone can help someone\"

Quote Originally Posted by stephiewephie05
    i always have to at least have a 2 hour nap if i do nap or else i'll be groggy.

I am like that too, but the thing is, Stephanie, when I do take a two hour nap, or even a one hour nap, I WAKE UP groggy, and feeling even worse and more tiredthan I did before. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]I'm definetly going totry everyone's tips on this one! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]In fact, I just drank a whole bottle of water....[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

I need to srart doing that too. I am sooo bad, because I love my water icy cold so I am bad about drinking it out of the tap if there are no icecubes.