Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

i have has emetophobia all my life and i have never told my friends. of course my family know but i could never tell my friends. they are starting to think i am a social retard so i am thinking of telling them. but should i? and how?
    bella

You should definitely tell them. It will make your social life a lot easier because you won't have to make excuses for why you can't hang out. It's nothing to be embarrassed about.

They probably won't understand at first, if ever. They will probably say "Yeah I totally get it I HATE v*" or something. In which case you explain to them that you're so afraid of it that your every thought, movement and choice surrounds the idea that you CAN'T throw up. They might think it's strange but I bet you they'll be understanding.

My friends know about my phobia but I don't think they really understand the extent of it. They sometimes get frustrated when I can't hang out numerous times because of my phobia. They tell me to "get over it." But usually they're very supportive and understand if I need to go outside or get some water or just not hang out at all.

I really think you should tell them, the support is really wonderful. It won't change their opinion of you and it's nothing to be embarrassed about.
    Crayon

Granted i don't know you or your friends, but i think you should tell them.
    My good friend knows about mine, she understands it as best as she can, and she has actually helped me out countless times. But i would say she is my best friend, my other friends, who i am not as close to, not all of them know about it.
    I think it would be better to tell them just so they are aware, and hey you might even get some good support out of it!
    \"The habbits of inattention and absence are strong, yet the experience of life, moment by moment, is precious\"

AIM = burnbaby1017

Tell your friends! They should definitely know, and trust me, it will help them understand the odd behaviour and panic that goes with emet. My friends know about my emet and are supportive, even standing up to teachers about it and helping me out during panic attacks and not acting like I'm a freak.

Like classycaro1 has said, they may not get the extent of how frightened you are, but hopefully they'll support you and not crack jokes. If they do, then that says more about them than it does about you.

However, I would caution you not to make a huge deal out of it and make excuses (not that you would, I'm just throwing that out there)about it. Also, talking about the phobia too much doesn't ingratiate yourself.

So, sit yourself and your friends down and discuss it.

Good luck!

i only told my BEST BEST OR CLOSE CLOSE FRIENDS..
    i told my neighbor (at my parents house) i spent 99% of my time with her, i told my old room mates, but then again we where almost like family, and i told my daughters godmother. that is all who knows. i dont feel like anyone understands so its hard to tell anyone, i couldnt even tell my BF right away