Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am a senior in high school. Tons of people I know have been getting sick with a stomach bug. I skipped classes that had possibly infectious people in them today because I was so scared of catching it, which my parents yelled at me for of course, as they don't understand at all. I use hand sanitizer routinely about once every 20-40 minutes or whenever I don't feel safe.

I had to sit in a classroom today for 40 minutes (period 1, before I knew about this epidemic) about 5 feet in front of someone who just had the bug. They didn't talk much. I haven't been around p*k* or anything, I'm just having panic attack after panic attack, which probably hurts my immune system, making me more susceptible.. ugh.

Stom bugs cannot be passed through the air by talking with someone who has it for a very brief time (a couple seconds) or by being in the same room as them, correct? Or can sick particles still get in the air and infect me?

I guess I just need a reminder of how the virus gets spread so that I can calm myself down. I don't know how I'll survive communal bathrooms in college.

*edit* Oh, and I have two fairly new cartilage piercings that aren't healed yet. I played with one a few minutes ago. Fair game for catching the bug?Edited by: labellearaignee

no, they can't be passed through the air, or even saliva. the only way
    would be if someone had d* or v*ed right next to you, and some
    particles sprayed into your nose/ears/mouth.

otherwise, the general mode of transmission as far as i'm aware
    involves touching contaminated objects.

there's no way it can infect you through your piercing. i would think it's
    even a stretch to get it through your ears.

Thank you, you just took some of the load off my mind.

I am a senior too!
    And it is spreading around my school as well [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    I too am nervous about next year and the bathroom situation.
    PM me if you want to talk about our shared fear!
    Erin
    \"The habbits of inattention and absence are strong, yet the experience of life, moment by moment, is precious\"

AIM = burnbaby1017