Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Emergency Room

Hi! I was just wondering when it is appropriate to go to the ER? I'm not sick or anything, I just want to know for future reference.

*Graphic*
    I had a sv* a few months ago and it was really bad.I was v*ing every 20 seconds and couldn't keep even the smallest sip of water down.
    *End graphic*

I went to the hospital because of that sv* where they put me on an iv with morphine and phenergan. They said it was good that I came because I was dehydrated, but that it hadn't been totally necessary, as I just had a sv*. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I was in and out of sleep and they had to do several tests on me and I was COLD and the doctors were MEAN. I want to cry just thinking about it.

Every time I get severely s* with any sort of pain or fever I panic and wonder if I should go to the ER. So my question is, when is it actually necessary to go? In terms of sickness.
    Crayon

Well, I don't know that I have much to add, except to say that for your SV last year it was definitely appropriate! I just don't know how you managed to get yourself there in that state. I think you could probably find some peer reviewed guidelines on someplace like WebMD concerning when you need to go for v*ing or the regular flu. Personally I avooid the Dr. like the plague, partly because I have an anxiety of doctors and hospitals, partly because of emet(no place like the hospital to get noro) and partly because of the rude attitude you mentioned. I think a very high uncontrolled fever, unexplained severe pain(like appendicitis), out of control diarrhea or v*ing that persists for more than a day, and stiffness of the neck accompanied by v* or high fever. If its not a real emergency I wouldn't go.

I think in the situation you were in it was definitely necessary. People have died from dehydration from sv*s. If I had one that bad I would definitely haul ass to the ER.

For less sever symptoms the ER wouldn't be hugely necessary, but a trip to the doctor would be [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Lauren xx

I've seen several statistics sighted in different articles about how many people go to the ER each year due to noro or a similar virus. In fact, I think I read something about it on the LygoCyte pharmaceuticals website when they were explaining why a noro vaccine is neccessary. I think it is quite common. I also read on a WebMd type website that if you have persistent d* and v* and you can't keep anything down for an extended period of time you should go the Dr. or the ER. I think it is necessary in severe cases. On the other hand, it isn't a pleasant experience no matter how you look at it.ER's are often understaffed and overworked which creates this "attitude" you experienced from your visit. I went to the ER for the frist time a month ago due to severe lower abdominal pain(but it wan't nausea it was just very very sharp and I couldn't stand up) and I was treated ok, but in the end they couldn't figure out what caused it and suggested that I make an appointment with my Dr. Five hours in the ER later and I still had the pain and was no closer to knowing what caused it....

I think you'll know when it is absolutely necessary to go, but if the problem can be resolved with your personal physician instead that would be best. It doesn't hurt to call your Dr. first to ask.

well I've had sv*s and never went to the ER, but that's because the d* was just every few hours, v* only a few times. However, in your case it was a very good idea that you went. They're always mean in the ER, just keep that in mind. I think it's because they're so stressed.
    And I really REALLY hate that they always assume everything is "just an sv*". BULL. That's what they thought when I was admitted a few years ago w/ pneumonia (my family just thought it was bad flu) and they thought it was an sv* until they heard my coughing fit and x-rayed me. turned it wasn't just simple sv* but a life-threatening disease.

If there's any fear of dehydration, you should go.

Sometimes when one has a norovirus, the problems start by trying to sip water too soon. Then you get in a catch-22. You're dehydrated, so you sip water. But one sip makes you vomit way more liquid than the sip, so you dehydrate more.

In the hospital if someone is vomiting there are strict protocols: NOTHING BY MOUTH. That means no sips of water - nothing. Granted they have IVs in the patient but the point is that sipping water can be a real problem - anything into the stomach is immediately rejected.

Some suggest that you wait 2 hours after vomiting stops before trying to sip water, and if it is rejected, wait another 2 hours. Most folks try to sip water immediately after, and that's when the problems start.

Hope this helps,
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just was talking with an ER nurse who lives on my street about whether they get a lot of people with noro in the ER (answer: YES!). And then she proceeded to make a little rant about people who come in after they have vomited once and feel bad. I hope I didn't blush too much as I sympathized with those folks

Any time there is serious worry about possible dehydration is an appropriate time to go. Yes, you're not always going to be treated respectfully by everyone you meet (just as you sometimes meet surly wait staff in a restaurant), but you still deserve to be seen.

I've been in several times for stomach viruses, some of those I'll admit were possibly emetophobic overreactions on my part (though in all them the diarrhea was extremely severe and frequent and I was getting weaker and weaker...). It is entirely possible that some staff members might have been rolling their eyes at me after they walked out of the room, but I was honestly too ill to give a darn at the time. And the rehydration sure felt good and helped speed recovery.