Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So im scared s***less of V*.. DUH!!! i can imagine myself doing i because im so terrified of it, now i know there are emets out there every day who V*, and i want to know how they deal with it, how they go through it, get through it, how the heck do they even do, how the heck are you suppose to do it, is it scarey to do, go through etc.

i just want to know how other emets get through V*...

It's obviously scary to us. I'm not really sure what you mean by this. What are you specifically getting at?
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

how does an emet go through it and do it? obviousy you have to there is no stopping it, i dont think anyway, but how do you get yourself through it an what not

well, sometimes it just cant be stopped. i cry, shake, hyperventalate and i;m beyond scared if it does happen but theres not much u can do about it but try to remain calm and know it will pass. i hope none of us have to deal with that..It is scarey, i wont lie.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

i just dont feel like i would ever be able to get through it.

You would get through it. I got sick about 3 years ago. It was scary and all that but the actul act was nearly as bad as the fear of it. In fact it was over in about 30 seconds. When it was over I realized I had spent the last 17 years of my life worried and terrifyed over something that was over in 30 seconds? But a few hours after it was over I feared it just as much as I had before. It doesn't make any sense.

I got an sv* recently and fought as hard as i could not to let it happen but there was no stopping it, and yes it was gross and i cried but there's no denying i felt better straight after it, until the n* kicked in again and I went through the same panic until it happened again then felt better again.

For a day or two afterwards I felt that although I knew I hadn't beaten emet that it was somehow better but like kellybeth that soon went (when my boyfriend got it) and i'm as scared now as I ever was.

The only positive thing I can say is that you do just have to get on with it, and while it's happening you do think "what the heck have I been worrying so much over for all these years?" and I actually felt quite cocky for a minute or two that I was over it, but no such luck [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

And I was surprised how practical I was about it, right after it happened I got on the settee and watched some TV and it was like nothing had happened, there wasn't this horrific aftermath that I had been predicting for years. Once it was over it was over - end of.

THIS COULD BE CONSIDERED VERY GRAPHIC AND I DO NOT DOUBT THAT IT COULD DISTURB SOME USERS.

Driftinggoddess,

It happened to me, for the first time since I was nine years old, exactly two years ago tomorrow. I fought for as long as I could; I thrashed and gasped and swore and shook until it finally happened, without my "giving in" as some emets do eventually, and then I just did it. I had to kind of force myself to get it all out since my body was so accustomed to fighting and rejecting it, but once it's begun, I figure, what the heck, there's nothing I can do, so why waste time fighting once it's started?

Many emets claim that it's not as bad as they thought it would be. It was every bit as horrible, probably more so, than I remembered.

Sorry for all the nastiness. This is just how I dealt when it happened.

~Maddy
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

drifting, you really WOULD get through it. Of course you would! What else would you do? Die? Go insane? No. Never has happened to anyone. I know it SEEMS like this is what will happen, but your brain is lying to you. So you must "tell it" constantly that it is lying to you and you are in NO DANGER whatsoever.

The reason people feel less anxious afterward is because the "happy ending" to the anxiety overrides the fear centre (amygdala) for a time. But eventually, the well-worn neuropathways go back to the way they were, convinced there is some terrible danger in vomiting when in fact it's just a normal bodily occurrence for not only humans but animals as well.

The more you can logically imagine that there is no danger in vomiting, the better your anxiety will get.

Take care,
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i dont know why im scared i kno it wont hurt me, i know it wont kill me. and all that fun stuff but still scared!

I v* a few months ago for the first time in several years. (Might be graphic) It was only a small amount, but it didnt matter ~ I was crying my eyes out and was so nervous. (End graphicness) After IT actually happened, I felt a lot better and a lot less anxious, but soon enough, my anxiety was back. That actual moment when IT happens, you forget how scary and dangerous v* is to you, but before and quite a bit after (for me at least), I was a nervous wreck.

it is scary bc when its going to happen you KNOW......it feels a lot different than the n* you feel when your worrying! ur body just knows its going to happen but last time i was s* i had fp* and when i did it, it wasnt as bad as i always tell myself it will be and after i felt so great....i even went home excited telling my parents i v* and im okay! i went for about a month without being scared at all but of course the phobia came back!
    but when it finally does happen (bc face it nobody can go forever without v* its just a natural thing your body does....and its taken me FOREVER to tell myself that) you will realize that we all worry so much over something thats really not that bad!!!

It's hard to get through it. But you just do. I guess your body just takes control and gets through it. Last time it happened to me I cried and groaned and screamed and begged my mom to kill me. But I got through it. I'm still sane and I'm not dead.
    Crayon