Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: bleach advice

Any advice on how to use bleach without staining everything I own? I just started using bleach and have already ruined a few things. Thanks!

Impossible not to ruin stuff. When using it, put on some old clothes that you dont care if they get ruined.
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wait, how is it impossible not to ruin stuff? how come i hear about
    people cleaning with bleach after v* episodes? they can't seriously ruin
    everything they clean.

It depends on what you're trying to clean. Hard surfaces like toilets, sinks, countertops are not reactive with bleach, same with tile, linoleum etc. Stainless steel articles can have bleach in/on them, just be sure to rinse it off after you've disinfected them since bleach is an electrolyte. We used to sanitize knives in a bleach solution at the fish market and it worked well, but it would put little electrolysis pinholes up and down the blade of the knives. We left them in it all the time when they weren't being used though, if you rinse within a few minutes things should be fine. Clothes... forget it, they will get splashed and stained no matter how careful you are. The only time you should need to worry about sanitizing clothes is if you or someone in the family has a v* or diarrhea episode and gets it on their clothes. I really don't know how to deal with that...maybe colorsafe bleach? I also don't know how to sanitize carpeted floors. You'd hope they wouldn't be contaminated but at times with kids or with rapid onset SVs stuff happens. I'd like to know what is proper to do in those situations if anyone knows.

I have developed a pretty good way of cleaning with bleach since I posted this. I put my bleach/water solution in a spray bottle. Then, instead of spraying the counter-top directly, I spray the sponge inself very gently so as not to splash, but many times so as to get it saturated. Then I wipe the area. There are no dangerous spray droplets this way. It has worked for me so far!

don't know about the bleach thing but over here you can her hospital grade disindectant in the super markets that doesn't seem to do any damage to colours...

You can't use bleach on fabric or carpet or furniture - it will ruin it indeed. Anything else like surfaces it's ok. I have diluted bleach in a spray bottle all the time. I use it for all kitchen things, but also bathrooms and floors.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.