Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Im just kinda curiouse to know what it feels like to have an SV?!?!?!?!

It feels awful, like you're going to die.

Or maybe that's just my anxiety.
    Crayon

We're probably not the best people to ask, Brittany, since we hardly ever get them. They don't all feel the same. Sometimes people know right away that they have a stomach virus and sometimes it is just an unwell feeling and they don't figure out until they have actual symptoms that it is a stomach virus.

Here is a humorous account of norovirus from a British newspaper. Britain always gets overrun with norovirus every year. It is like a big daycare:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...jan/14/comment. charliebrooker

I found this account of some kind of gastrointestinal sickness a few years ago:

The dreaded demon flu
    When suffering, it's important to suffer well

It's four a.m. You wake up. As you have a conversation with your body, you become aware of a sensation in your stomach. you lie to yourself for awhile. Maybe it's something you ate. Maybe it's gas. No. There is no mistaking this feeling. It's the dreaded, demon flu!

And so, you lie there awake, waiting for IT to happen, thinking, "Oh no. I have the flu. Why am I being punished? Why do I have go get sick now? Why couldn't I get sick on any of those mornings when I woke up and thought now nice it would be to stay in bed all day and not go to work? I can't have the flu today! I've got too much to do! It's not fair. I hate this."

And so, you keep waiting for IT to happen, flip-flopping on the bed trying to find a way to ease the hot knives and spiked bowling balls that are taking turns hacking away at the inside of your stomach. Every once in a while, you groan audibly, hoping your partner in life will wake up and ask if you're alright, to which you will reply, sobbing a little, "No, I think I have the flu." If it wasn't dark, he would notice your lower lip sticking out.

Instead of offering sympathy, he jettisons himself from the room with his pillow and a blanket, shouting, "Don't come near me!"

Dawn finally arrives. As the sun bounces over the horizon like a freshly toasted pop tart, you bounce out of bed in a big hurry because it's time for IT to happen. The life partner is having a shower and you live in a one-bathroom home. Oh well. Love means having to share these ugly experiences. As you inspect the plumbing from close range, he jettisons himself from the shower, screaming and carrying on about court, lawsuits, and big settlements.
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 01-11-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just want to clarify I didn't write that thing about waiting for IT to happen. I merely reposted it. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Britain always gets overrun with norovirus every year. It is like a big daycare:
    Lol.

Having unfortunately had one a year ago all I can say is, emet aside, i did feel like i was dying - or maybe it was that i wanted to do die? I don't know, but seriously it was pretty much like the article doug quoted, i woked up early hours feeling ill but couldn't put my finger on what it was, and it wasn't really until i'd had the pure water d* and been very poorly indeed the other way that i put two and two together and realised it was noro.

I never ever want it again as long as i live, and will do everything in my power to avoid ever v* again too, but - i have to say, unpleasant as it was I got through it and know i could ge through it again if i had to and so would you.

And the things i learnt from it? Always have in the house: proper anti-emetics it's too late to go to the chemist when it's all started, something to tie your hair back with, peppermint and/or ginger teabags, wetwipes and bleach.
    Last edited by paulinek; 01-12-2010 at 04:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: what does it feel like

Generally your stomach just feels really tight like its cramped continually. It's really important to drink a lot of water, because an sv can come with dehydration, diarrhea, and a fever. Without enough water, the dehydration will add to the headache.

People get through it every day, so it is more of a mental battle then anything else.