Okay, so this is kind of directed at Sage, as I got the idea from the FAQ Section there under 'WHAT ABOUT CHILDHOOD "TRUAMA"? ...AND WHAT EFFECT COULD A TRAUMA POSSIBLY HAVE THAT I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER??', but others are welcome to contribute!

I have a feeling my emet is partly due to something that happened to me when I was a day old. I was born ten weeks prematurely and when the doctors were inserting a feeding tube into my stomach, (I imagine) they just kind of rammed it down there, because it got stuck and they thought I had an oesophageal atresia (where the oesophagus has a dead end and doesn't connect to the stomach). I was rushed off to have it corrected, but upon cutting me open, they found there was nothing wrong with me and the tube had just got snagged in my oesophagus. I obviously can't remember the incident, but think it's a valid explanation for my phobia, as I think the worst part of v*ing is the coughing and choking part!

I was explaining this to my friend and he says it's highly unlikely that something so early in life could have been the cause. He says that if I can't remember it, it probably had no effect on me. I said lots of people have had childhood trauma affect them and don't necessarily remember it. I know I shouldn't listen to him, as he has no more knowledge of psychology than I do (and I've at least done plenty of research in my spare time!), but now I am having doubts. I WAS only a day old.

Having said that, I now think my emet was actually triggered by a v* incident when I was four when I v*ed in the bath (which I don't remember), but my parents got me out and stood me naked in my bedroom while they stood over me and stared at me and talked a lot about what was wrong, and used this funny v-word that terrified me...