Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Just thinking...does anyone believe in mind over matter? I'm sure if you believe enough that you are not going to v* when you feel bad then you won't. You really have to believe it though. This seems on the whole to work for me. Perhaps it has something to do with tricking the part of your brain that makes you v*?

yes yes yes i believe in mind over matter. its the only thing i have to
    believe in some days.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

Yes as do I!!!! But I still freak out all the time. I am so tired of this. Good luck to all!!!!

I TOTALLY BELIEVE IN IT, I THINK IF YOU TELL YOURSELF ENOUGH THAT YOUR NOT GONNA V*** THEN YOU WON'T..BUT I ALSO BELIEVE IF YOU REALLY CONVINCE YOURSELF YOUR GOING TO BE S** THEN YOU MIGHT
    although angels sing of glory greater still,i live in sadness much against my will...

You are right in both of those statements.

And then there's the part where if you actually are tired of fighting it, and want to v* to get it over with, you can't because your mind won't let you do what your body wants to do. That's what happened to me anyway. I was so sick for four hours and just decided to do the deed for relief, and I heaved but nothing came out even though I had a full stomach. Its strange how really in control we can be of our minds, and then how out of control too. But I do believe we can talk ourselves out of a lot!
    JANNA

i agree with all of the above too [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by noeygirl
    I TOTALLY BELIEVE IN IT, I THINK IF YOU TELL YOURSELF ENOUGH THAT YOUR NOT GONNA V*** THEN YOU WON'T..BUT I ALSO BELIEVE IF YOU REALLY CONVINCE YOURSELF YOUR GOING TO BE S** THEN YOU MIGHT
    I believe you are right on both counts!

I do for the simple fact that my 24/7 n* NEVER happened until I got this phobia and started to worry everyday.

Isn't it funny though, that thinking about the negative and having it react is so much more easier than thinking of the positive and hacing it react?

I mean, the whole laws of attraction thing..the negative energy flows so much faster and stronger then when i try to change my thoughts and think positive.

im such a lemon.

haha xmdslatx i am too!
    i am completely with you on everything you just said.
    however i think it comes to a point, you can't make something like an illness go away completely, you can change your attitude towards it. but like for example i had mono recently and my dad thought i could 'make it go away' by willing myself to. it just didn't work.
    but for many things i think you can use mind over matter yes.
    \"The habbits of inattention and absence are strong, yet the experience of life, moment by moment, is precious\"

AIM = burnbaby1017

I totally beleive in both ways.If you stress that your going to be sick you will put the thought into your mind and you will start to panick and literally feel sick. I have had that happen the last two times I went out to eat. I only ate half my meal because I was afraid of getting overly full and feeling sick on the ride home. Well I started to stress about it in the car and suddenly DID start to feel sick. I had to breath in and out the whole way home to relax myself so that I wouldn't do it..so there is the mind over matter causing yourself NOT to do it as well.

I agree with that. My mind always causes me to feel sick at one point or another nearly every day - even now I feel a bit iffy because my throat felt funny earlier and I keep thinking that its because I'm going to be s* so of course I now feel s*. Then I have certain rituals that will mean I won't actually get s* if I do them and (touch wood) they seem to work.

I absolutely agree - with one exception - bad sv's.

I know that on a number of occasions over the years I have come very very close to v* but have managed to will myself not to and it's worked, but when I had noro, I fought and fought as best I could but nothing on earth would've held that back

I would be interested if anyone has managed to stop v* with noro though and how they did it.

Yes you are right because of course there have been times when I have v* no matter what I've done. On my birthday (!) 2006 I got a bug. I started feeling sick at about 9.30 in the evening and it just got worse. I had the absolute night from hell and did all my medications and rituals. Eventually at about 6am I was so exhausted with sign of let up and I fell asleep for about a minute. I woke up with a jump and suddenly v*! It was like falling asleep caused me to relax and I forgot to fight and my body took over. I have to say though that afterwards I felt soooo much better and was in a kind of state of euphoria in a way. I mixture I think of both relief because I felt better and the fact that I had done it! Then in 2007 just before christmas I got the same thing but during the day. This time I didn't fall asleep but it got really bad that in the end I had my head over a bucket and was just praying. I KNEW it was going to happen but it didn't...and eventually it passed but I felt like I had done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson after! I think I just fought and fought and won in the end.

That's interesting cos I also fell asleep on the settee for a bit in between each time it happened and v* shortly after waking up each time, so god forbid I ever get another *sv but if i do I will stay awake no matter what!

I believe it! I've gone more than three days with extreme sickness and I
    finally got better without V*
    The girl who nobody knows, they only see
    The girl who is only half way pretty and doesn\'t care
    The girl whose following her one true dream, when nobody\'s looking...

I believe it to a point...it is extremely difficult to suppress the natural reaction of your body to v* when you have a virus. It takes someone with extreme will power and the ability to withstand extended misery! The last time I was s* w/ a virus I fought it for about 7 hours. It would come in waves and after each wave I was exhausted. Finally in the early morning hours I gave up and allowed it to happen. But it was a conscious decision...I just couldn't stand the n* anymore. I had to give in.

Jubidyjub-do you think what you went through was a virus?

I also believe that a lot has to do with mind over matter. I've been able to talk myself through things many times. That being said, there are situations where that just can't be done and it isn't that you've lost a battle or you're not strong enough, but that it just needs to happen.

Yes I agree because obviously there have been times when I have v*d and I REALLY did not want to! I think this is also maybe that subconciously I gave in and let it happen (as I said earlier, usually when I have fallen asleep so my body allowed it to happen). I'm sure we've all been in the situation when we have felt true n* for hours, we are exhausted, our bodies feel like they have been run over by a truck etc etc and it becomes a kind of reluctant acceptance that the inevitable is going to happen. I have to say though that when it does happen I always feel almost happy that I've done it and proud of myself! I always think too that the actual act is really not that bad and feel I could beat this emet. But then over time it comes creeping back.... [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I don't believe in mind over matter. Yes, there were times were I was able to prevent v* from happening, but there are others where it's just too far gone and you know it's gonna happen.

I'm kind of debating here but surely then that is mind over matter...you know its going to happen so your mind is accepting it and therefore your brain is going to allow it...this could go on...!