Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: question

i was thinking....i have read on here time after time that the only way to catch a sv* is to be near someone at the time or right after they v* or however it goes. but at my high school graduation party my grandpa had a sv* and didnt know it, he didnt feel bad, he was acting normal, he ate dinner, everything. when he got home from the party he went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night v* and the next day everyone at the party who shook his hand or was near him was s* (including me and thats the last time ive v* due to sickness). if that happened doesnt that kind of cancel out the whole "being around someone after they were v*"

it crossed my mind so i figured i would ask

It's possible for someone to be contagious (shedding the virus in their stool) before they start showing symptoms. Although it does sound suspect that everyone was ill within 24 hours of the party, I guess it's possible. If you and the other guests came into contact with infected fecal matter (shaking hands with him, touching objects he'd touched with unclean hands) and then ingested it, you could have caught the virus (if there was one to catch) before he even knew he was sick.Edited by: sherbear

Yeah well all the Doc's say that you have to ingest vomitus or fecal matter to catch it. So that means nasty ass people don't wash their hands. I hate that....... In the winter try to wash your hands alot....And use alcohol it kills everything.

some were 24 hours....and like me and my bf at the time we didnt get it until like 3 days later....

and ALSO my doc told me once that if (for example) your mom is sick...someone else in the house (father, brother, etc.) could be carrying the virus but never get sick or show any signs but you can catch it from them

if thats true i just dont understand how that can be right......

"Studies with volunteers given stool filtrates have shown that asymptomatic infection may occur in as many as 30% of infections, although the role of asymptomatic infection in norovirus transmission is not well understood."

^from the CDC website

I am suspect that what was experienced after your graduation party was food poisoning and not necessarily transmission of sv from your grandfather.

Stella

Yeah I agree. Although it could be that your grandpa did have the bug at the party. I remember once when I was a kid (and I must have been young because I think I was ok at that time) my stomach was feeling just a bit odd all day. Nothing to bother about and I didn't even tell my mum. I barely noticed it. I ate dinner and everything and again at the back of my mind every now and again I was aware of an odd feeling in my stomach. That night I got really s* and then the rest of the family caught it from me. All that day when my stomach was odd I was touching stuff and people and eating sandwiches and drinking and god knows what else so anyone could have got something from me then and I would have said if you had asked that I felt fine.

Is it possible that perhaps there could have been some food there that wasn't too safe or had been handled by someone who had already been ill.

I think its unlikely that your grandpa passed on something to that many people when he wasn't symptomatic yet. If that was the case then SVs are EVER MORE SCARY!

it deff wasnt the food bc my mom, dad, aunt and a few other ppl never got it...we were talking about it one day and realized the only ppl that got it were the ppl who shook his hand or kissed him! everyone ate the same food so i know the food was safe....especially since some ppl didnt get it until a week later.

Are you sure your grandad has good handwashing hygiene? Some people may wash their hands but not thoroughly enough.

If it was noro then apparently you can have the virus in your poop for a day or so before you get ill so if your grandad didn't wash his hands too thoroughly and touched his face then yes he could've passed it on to people that way.

Not casting aspersions on your grandads hygiene of course [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img] he could have maybe touched a contaminated surface from someone elses germs and then spread it like that...

jsloan - unfortunately alcohol doesn't kill everything, it does kill most bacteria but not noro, you need a specific hand sanitiser that actually says it is for noro and viruses. I think in America I've heard people say wet wipes do? Its Benz..(something) chloride that is the usual ingredient for noro zapping.

You grandpa might not have been the initial "spredder" (lol) of the virus though, someone there might have been sick and come along anyway (as we all know people can be a little bit inconsiderate at times).

Elderly people and young children suffer more from viruses, so his symptoms might have come on quicker than others, who caught it at the same time he did.

It could've been in the food prepared by a sick chef, the bathrooms might have been contaminated, etc.

There are a thousand possibilities! (Unfortunately) [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    Lauren xx