Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Advice needed

Just wondered what you think...would like to run something by you...

OK so I'm out of work at the moment for the first time ever. I can't get a job in my field (or anyone elses for that matter!) and I don't know where to turn.

Since I was a kid I wanted to be a midwife. Then I couldn't do it because in my teens and twenties my emet was serious. I am a bit better now but not great. Thing is I would really love to train as a midwife now especially as I am unemployed. I'm 40 this year and if I don't do it now I never will. I can't tell you how much I want to do it. You probaby know where I'm going with this! I think sometimes I can handle v* with women in labour as it is not related to any bugs but then sometimes I just know I can't do it.

What I was wondering was do you think it could work? I think about people who faint at the sight of blood or needles and go on to be doctors. Could that be me and could it help me with my emet? On the other hand it might just freak me and I'll run screaming. I seriously don't know if i can do it but I really want to be a midwife more than anything.

Any words of wisdom? What should I do? It's a big step to apply to university especially if I don't know if I can do it.....

My advice is to go for it! It certainly never hurts to try! Like you said, when else will you have the opportunity? Maybe you should get into therapy at the same time, so you can have some support while you are training? That way, hopefully, you will be all cured by the time you are a midwife! Good luck to you!!!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

It's really funny you posting this because I was going to start a thread about if anyone had ever not done what they wanted to in life (jobwise) due to their emet!

When I was younger I wanted to be either a teacher, nurse or cook. I didn't do any for of them for the following: teacher - no cos schools are a hotbed of germs and kids v* nurse - no cos of patients v* and bugs going about wards and cook - no cos I don't get it so much now but i spent all my childhood and most of my twenties suffering pretty much daily n* and couldn't face the thought of having to work with food if i felt s*

I'm really happy in what I do now (receptionist) but I do think what if.........

So in answer to your question, I would say you should go for it. I could be wrong but I'm sure v* isn't a normal thing in labour?? And as you would know it wasn't due to an SV then it maybe wouldn't cause so much panic if it did happen?

It might be worth having a word with the University and discussing your fears with them, or maybe asking your local hospital if you could do some work experience there for a short time ans that would possibly give you a better feel for if you think you could handle it?

Have you read sages success story post, because she ended up going in to a hospital and actually holding a s* bowl for someone while they v* [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

I think that would be great if you could do it !

That is funny especially as one of my things was that I wanted to be a teacher but only of little kids and you know what happens there!

You are right - v* is not a usual symptom of labour but it can happen. My best friend v*d all through all three of her labours! I have had two kids and didn't do that (thank god!). So whilst it is rare it does happen but then it can happen at any job. Before I was made redundant in September, I was a paralegal in a solicitors office and someone was s* in the kitchen sink! You can imagine the state I was in! I had to be taken home. So it can happen everywhere. I might try your suggestion of volunteering in the hospital. At least then I can run if I want to! I did read Sage's story and it was that that got me thinking again. I've been researching it on the internet and it has made me want it more. Will keep you posted.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

By the way, I am a teacher!! You can do it!!! :-)

Really? That is so great. How do you cope though if one of your kids gets s*? I really admire you.

Well, the good thing is that it really doesn't happen all that often. I have been teaching for 12 years (gulp!) and I can only think of 2, maybe 3 incidents like that (plus many close calls!). What helps is telling people I work with about my fear. They usually step in and help. There was one time where I actually ran from the room when a boy was getting sick. But, my room was right across from the office, so they stepped in and took over. They were so considerate there (my old job) that they would sometimes even announce over the intercom that I should NOT come to the office, and I knew what that meant! Basically, I love my job enough to live with the risk. You can, too!

ive always wanted to be a midwife aswell... and im going to go for it.. not yet as im not ready to yet due to home thigns and general stuff when i have finished having my own children its something im going for xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's great. I'm going to look it up on the internet.

Have you given birth? Or have you ever sat in on a labor and delivery? I think actually being THERE and witnessing it is the only way you can know if you'll do it. Also, most women do not v* while giving birth (no one I know has). Good luck. I hope you can do what you always have wanted to do (:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't think you would panic and run away. It's like all the mothers on here say, when it needs to be done (like helping their kids), they do it. I think when you see that you are helping these women in labor so much and they are relying on you, you will want to stay and help them even if they v*. I say go for it!

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping. I have had two kids with no v* during labour but my best friend did it all through her labour! I know you are all right but I could never deal with the kids when they were ill and I even ran out of the house once and left my 2yr old v* everywhere! Then I made my younger one go in the garden and shut the door when she v*d....oh the things I've done. I am useless.

Here's a suggestion, which may or may not be helpful. If you know anyone who is a midwife maybe you could shadow them for awhile and see if you REALLY want to do what they do on a daily basis. I would say that might be better and more relevant than the hospital. What do I know, though, I'm male and have no experience whatsoever in these things. I just always suggest that if you have a career you're interested in find somebody who does it well and learn what they do and if you really want to do that and could you do it.

That's good advice. I don't know any midwives but I could ask the hospital if I could shadow one of their shifts and explain why. That would also look good on my university application (which I have started to fill in by the way - yay!).