Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Drinking Barium

I'm getting a CAT scan done Thursday evening and I have to drink two bottles of barium. I'm really nervous it's going to make me nauseated or taste so bad I'll be nauseated and possibly throw it up and... yeah... I'm just really nervous! Has anyone done this??

Never done it but wanted to say good luck!!
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Idk.. my mom has talked about it tasting bad, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone v*ing from it. I definitely don't think it'll make you v* because you have emet and we have a weird tolerance for those types of things. I have to do the same thing in a few weeks so I wish you good luck!
    Crayon

My roommate/friend had it done, she says that they have mint and chocolate flavored stuff, now. She said it gave her d*! She didn't v*. Good luck! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Edited by: virgo_witch

I know this is weird but my husband actually LIKED the drink!!!
    [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I'm actually hoping that I might like them! One is banana smoothie flavored and the other is wild berry flavor. They didn't ask me what flavors I wanted though. That's kind of dumb I think.

I drank it when I was a teenager, 15 years ago. I was not SO emet then. I remember it being hard to drink it all, it's more than your stomach wants. But they let me drink it slowly. It's really thick like a milkshake but smoother. You're lucky they have flavors now, mine tasted like chalk! It did NOT make me n* or v*. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I'm having this CAT scan because I've barely been able to eat for a month, so I'm really worried that it's too much to drink, (it would be anyway,) and that it will add onto whatever nausea I already have. I hope not though! And I also get to drink it at home, so I'll thankfully be able to take my time.Edited by: mxw08

It'll probably make your tummy feel bloated and a little sore but it won't make you v*. You'll do perfectly fine! And you'll get some answers! Hope all goes well.
    Crayon

The one that he had (and liked..LOL!) was the berry one just in case you are having trouble deciding what would be better. Personally, I would probably choose the banana b/c I love anything banana flavored!

When I had a CT scan, I drank something called Gastroview. It's clear and comes in fruit flavors, it's alot like Kool Aid. It has the same contrast effect as Barium and it's less disgusting. You can ask if they have it. It's drinkable and it's not thick at all.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I drank it twice, and it was not bad, like a thick smoothie maybe. I had no side effects and ate when I got home. It really wasn't bad!
    JANNA

Did it make you feel really full? At this point that's my biggest worry. My condition is such that eating even a little bit causes discomfort just from being full, and what with the thickness and the quantity I'm expected to drink... I'm really afraid I'll feel really uncomfortable and the discomfort will cause nausea. I also understand that the test involves laying flat on your back, and that's not generally a good thing when you feel really full either. The test is tomorrow, (or rather, technically today, since it's almost 2am where I am,) and I'm quite nervous [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

They did have me eat this powder that makes you feel like you drank pop and need to burp, only they said don't burp because they need your stomach to be a little inflated. It was uncomfortable to not burp, but nothing like n* or anything..just like a big swig of sprite. Then they were really patient with me when I couldn't chug the barium-in fact, it only took maybe ten swallows to get what they needed to see. I didn't feel full at all afterwards, I was still hungry, and I have a stomach condition where after a few bites I get full (gastroparesis) and it was not a problem at all. And it only took a few minutes, then I was allowed to burp, and I let it rip. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    JANNA