Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Every feel SURE something will cause V*?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

23 95.83%
  • No

1 4.17%

hope I did the poll thing right. OK my superstition is one even my non-emet sister believes wholeheartedly in. EVERY time someone around us watches ET the Extraterrestrial, someone will V*. No lies. This happens every time.

Junior Fall semester I come back to my dorm room and my roommate (a girl that drove me crazy because she never showered and never brushed her teeth, seriously, her toothbrush was in the CLOSET) was watching ET. I told her to turn it off IMMEDIATELY. She thought I was nuts but did it. I swear to heaven the next day I woke up at noon and our suite-mate was V* in the bathroom. She didn't turn it off soon enough!!

Anyway...anyone else have one to share?
    \"When the day is blue, I\'ll sit here wondering about you\"

A long time ago when I was about 8 or so I was in Friendly's resteraunt. A young girl at the booth across from us vomited. Her parents cleaned her up and then ordered her an ice cream!! After that I was afraid to go in the resterant. When I got up enough nearve to go back I went in the bathroom and someone got sick in the dining part of the resterant so luckiley I missed it. I haven't been to a Friendly's in years cuz of it!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I wouldn't eat spaghetti bolognes for years and years cos every time i ate it quite a few times on the trot i v* - I'm fine with it now though, but it was when i was little and my gran made it and if she was still alive, then no disresepct to her but i wouldn't eat it if she made it.....

I won't go in a british home stores cafe cos when i was about 8-10 yrs old my gran took me in and you know the cups of pop you dispense yourself from the machine? Well I'd got a cup of coca cola and kept saying it tasted odd but carried on drinking it, and it wasn't till near the end thst i sarted feeling really n* so my gran tried it and i'd been drinking neat concentrate![img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] The machine hadn't added the carbonated water. OMG I had a full on panic attack frenzy right there in the cafe and cause a a right scene. I never did v* but every time I go in a branch of BHS and see the cafe it brings back the memory.

Although I have some symptoms of OCD I do not have any superstitions regarding my fear.

I used to avoid eating Smarties candy because of v* after eating them when I was little but have overcome that as well.

My biggest fear is of OTHERS and since I cannot control them or the situation I have been trying very hard lately to "bless and release" anything that I cannot control -- gee I think the Celexa is working - LOL!!!

Good job, Kellygirl! I love the "bless and release" idea; I think I might try that. I had a lot of food things that I wouldn't eaten because I or someone I knew had gotten sick after eating them. I am happy to say I have eaten all of those things again! :-) I also used to be convinced that a certain shirt I wore would mean someone would v* (a lot like the ET story) because it had happened twice. But, thankfully, those tendencies are gone now! :-)
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

my superstition began in childhood with my sister, but we hold onto it because of that story above. I told my roommate to turn it off mostly out of a joke, but also because it made me nervous and sure enough...

I mean logically no one is going to v* from it, but...I just won't watch it after that happened to back it up. Otherwise during my stay in that dorm room no one got sick!

I think it's really fascinating how everyone has/had superstitions that are so varied. Places, shirts, foods, and a movie for me. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \"When the day is blue, I\'ll sit here wondering about you\"

no, not at all
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybeth
    A long time ago when I was about 8 or so I was in Friendly's resteraunt. A young girl at the booth across from us vomited. Her parents cleaned her up and then ordered her an ice cream!! After that I was afraid to go in the resterant. When I got up enough nearve to go back I went in the bathroom and someone got sick in the dining part of the resterant so luckiley I missed it. I haven't been to a Friendly's in years cuz of it!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    I used to work at a Friendly's as a waitress o.O (HORRIBLE job ... thank God I quit when I did, haha). People always told me about little kids v* there, but thankfully I never saw it happen during one of my shifts.

The worse I've ever been sick was when I was about 4 and ate watermelon for the first time (I probably had the stomach flu that was going around my preschool and it had nothing to do with the watermelon). Since then I've always been afraid of consuming watermelon (even artificially flavored candies) and haven't eaten watermelon or any other kind of melon since.

Funny movies were mentioned. The last time I v* I was 10, and I specifically remember being at the movies with my dad and my brother and not feeling well. The previews came on the screen and one was for some sort of horror movie. I remember feeling so scared after seeing that and then v* soon after. I won't watch scary movies because it brings back that feeling of fear and n*.

Also I had eaten McDonald's shortly before I v* that time, so McDonald's is not my favorite place to eat. I can do it, but I'd rather not.

The thing is, I know I had a sv* because my best friend had just gotten over it and we were always together, but I still associate the scary movie and McDonald's with v*.
    Elizabeth

It should say "Funny THAT movies were mentioned," not funny movies. I miss the edit button.[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Elizabeth

i v* on my dad's birthday when i was 6, so every year for a few years after that i would get sick on his birthday. I'm okay now, though, because i broke the "curse" by deep breathing one year. Also, after i'm sick i don't wear those clothes again and don't eat the food that i ate before i was sick. Spaghetti still makes me uncomfortable after a particular incident many years ago.