Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

make post or sticky about food poisoning, i think i have seen one on here before but i cant find it now...

I think that's a good idea, as well as reccomendations for restaurants that are 'safe' and such.

hi,
    taco bell
    i got food poisoning 2 times from two diffrent ones before and cracker barrell

I don't know if the restaurant thing is such a good idea, actually. If anything it will probably increase my restaurant paranoia even more than the elevated point that it already is at, and will make me have even more rituals surrounding places to avoid :| Besides, one instance at one restaurant in one town doesn't set the stage for the entire chain throughout the United States (normally). I know the places in town that I trust, and I know the places in town that I don't trust.

However, I do think the general food poisoning information thread would be a good idea. We have similar things for Norovirus, so why not have some for food illnesses (even though many of them actually ARE Norovirus).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ive gotten food poisioning from chicken at a restaurant....and the chicken and dumplings at cracker barrel

needless to say....its hard for me to eat chicken out anywhere!
    its just so risky, it has to be cooked JUST RIGHT or you WILL get fp*

just facts and info about it. pain and simple....

I agree that it will make people avoid things more. I have eaten Cracker Barrel many times, I have even had the Chicken and Dumplings and I was fine. I dislike threads that feed the fear and give people more things to be afraid of. Most emets are scared enough about eating out!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I hope I didn't come off as rude there. I just thought of something else: what if we had a thread where people put the places they have eaten out and had GOOD experiences?? Like things they have ordered and liked and had no problem with? Maybe that will broaden people's experiences? Just an idea...

thats a good idea bc like you said when ppl say things on here it adds to our fears sometimes.....for example, before i came to this website i never had a problem riding in cars with ppl but on the first page when its defining emetophobia it says something about always having to drive when your in a car.....and now when i ride with ppl i get really nervous and shaky (and i only ride with ppl after an hour of begging to drive instead) and i think i will get car sick!

so i deff think positive helps a lot more than stating the negative

It's strange you mention that about riding in a car. I'm glad that I joined this group because I feel like I have a better handle on this problem now but there are some new rituals and ideas that I have changed in my mind for the worse after reading posts here too. I'm off to therapy for the first time tomorrow, wish me luck. This site has given me the courage to speak out about my problem for the first time. It's a relief just knowing that I'm going to talk about it with someone finally! I hope it goes well, I don't want to get my hopes up to high.

Good luck with therapy! I know for some people coming here really does add to their fears and make things worse. If that does happen, then the best thing to do is stay away from here, at least for awhile, even though that's hard.

i only eat "safe" foods when i go out to eat... no meat or poultry, only
    piping hot veggies and pasta... and maybe some grilled cheese and
    steaminggg hot fries. although, nothing's really "safe" i guess... what
    with all the random salmonella scares and dirty employees...

so would it be ok if there was a sticky or something of just facts and info about food poisoning?

Get this guys... I literally ate out 5 times a week for lunch, and 5 times a week for dinner for 2 years and have only gotten fp once.It is seriously extremely rare! I just take a good look (and sniff) at what I am about to eat, and I have been fine. I have cut back quite a bit on the eating out now, because of the economy- but I still go out probably twice a week for lunch and twice for dinner. Just use common sense when going out, if the place is filthy or the food smells funny, dont eat there. I promise it is nothing to be afraid of.

--Kim

not only that tink, but i know where i live ever year they do a report at all the food places, and its always the same darn ones on the list, or if its a new one its something like roof leaks, not bad food etc. i know food poisoning comes from alot of eating out and that is not why i asked for this. i just think it would nbe handy to have something like;

Types
    Signs
    How long it takes to notice
    How to avoid
    what to look for

stuff like that. you would be surprised how little people know,and i hate searching stuff on the internet because then i find something on a site that isnt fda or medical and its probably not the truth and i freak. i think if we had somewhere quick to look at it with all the answers no searching it would save alot of grief!

Quote Originally Posted by driftinggoddess
    not only that tink, but i know where i live ever year they do a report at all the food places, and its always the same darn ones on the list, or if its a new one its something like roof leaks, not bad food etc. i know food poisoning comes from alot of eating out and that is not why i asked for this. i just think it would nbe handy to have something like;

Types
    Signs
    How long it takes to notice
    How to avoid
    what to look for

stuff like that. you would be surprised how little people know,and i hate searching stuff on the internet because then i find something on a site that isnt fda or medical and its probably not the truth and i freak. i think if we had somewhere quick to look at it with all the answers no searching it would save alot of grief!
    I strongly support this idea. Would be very helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.