Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Emet Trigger

So I think I might have found the episode that triggered my fear. I've been thinking a lot and my fear is more related to others vomiting. Once I get it myself, I just go through it. So my fear is the transmission of a stomach virus.

When I was somewhere around 8-10 years old my whole family had a wave of SV. First one little sister had it, then another. Then it spread to our dad too. Just me and my mom were left healthy. We watched everyone V* around us and watched each other, waiting to see if we would catch it. And then my mom caught it, and I was all alone. I lived in fear and horrible anticipation, sure it was only a matter of time before I would be next. But it never happened to me.

I'd forgotten this story but when my mom told me about it again, I realized how much sense it made for this event to have affected me psychologically. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my trigger. Does anyone else think they know their triggers?
    \"When the day is blue, I\'ll sit here wondering about you\"

****GRAPHIC?****

Oh, I most definitely know what my trigger was...it was when I was 5-years-old. I got some stomach bug and threw up in my bed...no big deal, cried a bit. I remember thinking 'Oh, no! I don't get to go to kindergarten tomorrow!' I wasn't even worried about being sick! Then my mom gave me some tea and laid me down in the living room floor with a mixing bowl to v* in...still no big deal. I didn't WANT to v*, again, and resisted a bit, but it was VERY violent...and my mom got sick watching me and then my stepfather laughed at me, because apparently I was v*ing A LOT...and it was very painful (physically and emotionally). Just recently, my mother told me that my stepfather (who is long gone and dead) was just trying to make light of the situation...so I've forgiven him...and as for my mom, she just is a sympathy v*er...but I'm still deathly afraid of anything to do with v*...

I think I have sort of figured out my trigggers. This will be GRAPHIC.

One of them was when I was about 7-8 years old. I don't remember if I had a sv* or if I had fp* or what, but I remember my grandmother had made me finish my dinner (I didn't want to, I guess I wasn't feeling well) and soon after I got the sudden urge to v* and ended up doing it very violently all over the place. It all is sort of a disturbing blur now. One of my main fears now is having to v* and not having any where to do it, which is why I think this incident may have led to some of my problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My mom thinks mine is because I choked on the first sip when she was breast feeding me. It was only for 3 days after I was born, until I got the hang of swallowing. She was panicked about it though and she thinks that maybe I sensed her panic and became afraid of choking/spitting up/v* from that. Idk.Edited by: classycaro1
    Crayon

Quote Originally Posted by classycaro1
    My mom thinks mine is because I choked on the first sip when she was breast feeding me. It was only for 3 days after I was born, until I got the hang of swallowing. She was panicked about it though and she thinks that maybe I sensed her panic and became afraid of choking/spitting up/v* from that. Idk.
    I'm not sure about that one but really I suppose who knows? I actually had colic for like six months as a baby because my mom didn't have milk for a long time. For all I know that could have been a little bit of a trigger too. Although I would say the trigger should be in childhood when you can remember it, who says we can't all retain some baby memories? Doctors would say no way but they also said "babies don't feel pain" to my mom when she was a nurse.

BS Mr. Medical Doctor. BS.
    \"When the day is blue, I\'ll sit here wondering about you\"

Quote Originally Posted by shilyn
    Quote Originally Posted by classycaro1
    My mom thinks mine is because I choked on the first sip when she was breast feeding me. It was only for 3 days after I was born, until I got the hang of swallowing. She was panicked about it though and she thinks that maybe I sensed her panic and became afraid of choking/spitting up/v* from that. Idk.
    I'm not sure about that one but really I suppose who knows? I actually had colic for like six months as a baby because my mom didn't have milk for a long time. For all I know that could have been a little bit of a trigger too. Although I would say the trigger should be in childhood when you can remember it, who says we can't all retain some baby memories? Doctors would say no way but they also said "babies don't feel pain" to my mom when she was a nurse.

BS Mr. Medical Doctor. BS.
    Yeah, I found it hard to believe too. But my mom says she remembers the first time I legitimately v*ed as opposed to just choking or spitting up and she said I was ridiculously panicked. I couldn't talk yet but I screamed and screamed and screamed. Which I guess is probably normal for babies but I rarely ever cried as an infant. I don't know what else it could be. Maybe it was really painful and that was what triggered it? I don't know.
    Crayon

Classycaro

I don't remember my daughter ever screaming when she v*. It sounds like
    you were terrified even then. (My daughter tries to eat it off herself,
    eeewwww, I know!). I hope she won't be afraid of it though because she v* a
    ton as a newborn, I mean projectile v*ing, not just spitting up, and I was
    terrified, but I had to clean her up. We finally got her on medicine for it
    though thank God.
    Life is so worth living.

A couple months ago, I thought my emet didn't start till I was about seven, but now that I think about it, I believe it's been going on almost my whole life.

One of the earliest incidents was when I was about three, in daycare/preschool. This girl accidentally spilled her yogurt on the floor, but I didn't see it happening. I thought she had been sick, but another part of me told it was just her yogurt. But I remember avoiding her that whole day anyway.

Another thing that happened in preschool was this boy v*ing in the bathroom -- all over the sink and the floor. He had just knocked over my block tower, so I was sorta happy about that -- that's kinda why I wonder if I had some sort of sick obsession with v* when I was little.

And then there was one episode of Rugrats that the preschool was playing, and Chuckie, I believe, was about to v*, so I ran out of the door and into the parking lot to my mom. I remember it very clearly, but I never told my mom why I did it, but she mentions how it gave her such a scare now and then.

I can't really pinpoint it. But I've been suffering with it the worst for the past few months, ever since I had a traumatic v*ing episode at the end of August.