Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Restaurants ??

How many of you are able to dine out without worry? If you can dine out, do you have a "safe" list or a criteria of places to go? What type of menu items do you order? Just curious how other people deal with dining out. Restaurants are very very challenging for me ~ I always worry that I will get fp*.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've never been worried about eating out. Neither of my parents ever cooked when I was little, we always ate out or got carry-in. I've never gotten f*p* ever.

There's rules and regulations and things that restaurants have to follow. The employees are required to wash their hands and things.

I guess I don't eat at places like Taco Bell or McDonalds. Partly because the grease makes me feel sick but also because I don't trust their cleanliness and the way they prepare their food.
    Crayon

Fortunately one of the things that I've managed to overcome with my emetophobia is the fear of fp*... so I don't have a lot of problems with eating out - there's just one local restaurant I never go to after a neighbour got fp* from eating there [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I really wish I could enjoy dining out and just eating in general like that. Have either of you ever worked in restaurants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never used to be able to eat out but gradually i started and now i think that because i've done it so many times and nothing bad has happened (touch wood!) that i'm more confident about it.

However, i am very choosy about where i go (although i will eat mcdonalds because everythings scalding hot) and what i eat - ie i won't eat seafood, i won't choose something i think is probably going tp be microwaved, i won't eat pork orchicken unless it's somewhere i trust and even then i'll cut it in half at it's thickest point and check it's not pink and that it's really hot etc.

There's a thing in the UK which is catching on in quite a few towns and cities called "scores on the doors" where the health department check places out then score them from 0-5 stars based on their hygiene practices and cleanliness, these are displatyed on the doors and you can also check places out on the website, which is a great idea. I think everywhere should do it.

Our city publishes the health inspections for restaurants in the newspaper, so I keep track of who does well and who doesn't. I still will rarely eat out. It just isn't an enjoyable experience for me.

If I do eat out, I order something I feel safe about, like salad with oil and vinegar dressing, generally no protein, unless it's from our favorite restaurant where I know the owner and the cooks and I know they are scrupulous about cleaning and food handling.

During flu season I don't eat out at all. It's too much for me to handle. Luckily I love to cook, so nobody cares much about eating out anyway.

Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek
    There's a thing in the UK which is catching on in quite a few towns and cities called "scores on the doors" where the health department check places out then score them from 0-5 stars based on their hygiene practices and cleanliness, these are displatyed on the doors and you can also check places out on the website, which is a great idea. I think everywhere should do it.
    They did something very similar when I used to live in North Carolina. Unfortunately, they don't do that where I live now.

I worry more during the winter months and avoid ordering salads, cold sandwiches and such (thing that are not cooked or heated). Also (strange but true) my SAFE food is anything at Taco Bell (they don't prepare anything at the restaurant -- just assemble).

I avoid one Seafood restaurant in the area due to some Good Friday FP (was not a good Friday for me) but other than that I'm pretty much open to eating out, ordering in or anything during the week that keeps me from cooking a meal - LOL.

I pretty much eat ot anywhere. I am kind of a picky eater in general, but I can usually find something at just about anyplace we go.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I can eat everywhere but I'm trying not to do it during winter time.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

I eat out, i didnt used to though. I think that each time I eat out I am challenging my OCD and Emet. I do however get anxious.
    The Lord is my shepherd.

I think I'm more like you (swtcatastrphe). I have a very hard time eating out. We just moved to a different state and my parents are trying all sorts of new restaurants. I usually just watch them. Or if they order something that looks really good I take a few bites. My "safe" food is mozzarella sticks, because they are fried cheese. I think it would be really hard to get fp* from those. My sister works at a restaurant (and a really fancy and expensive one) and she tells me all these stories about when people are mean to the servers. One guy licked his fingers and massaged the steak she ordered. I get really worried in restaruants. I dont even get fast food anymore and I miss arby's but it helped me lose a few pounds

Quote Originally Posted by nickle
    I think I'm more like you (swtcatastrphe). I have a very hard time eating out. We just moved to a different state and my parents are trying all sorts of new restaurants. I usually just watch them. Or if they order something that looks really good I take a few bites. My "safe" food is mozzarella sticks, because they are fried cheese. I think it would be really hard to get fp* from those. My sister works at a restaurant (and a really fancy and expensive one) and she tells me all these stories about when people are mean to the servers. One guy licked his fingers and massaged the steak she ordered. I get really worried in restaruants. I dont even get fast food anymore and I miss arby's but it helped me lose a few pounds
    My safe food is plain pasta with sauce or butter. I used to work in a crap restaurant (Friendly's, if you are familiar with it) and it was very disgusting, to say the least. I have lost more than a few pounds, but not really willingly. I was at a healthy weight and now I am almost underweight. I can only imagine what it would be like going somewhere completely new ~ I'd definitely be sticking with very popular chains and getting very generic menu items for a LONG time. Even then, it can still be tough :| Glad that I am not alone.

I dont eat out.[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    I have a couple safe places, the local pizza pub, a chinese place near here and Subway. Otherwise I wont eat it.
    Well I will also go to Red lobster but I am very careful at what I order there but its so good and we only go there a couple times a year as a treat