Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Electrolytes?

I have been reading up on electrolytes. Some of the symptoms of electrolyte inbalance are n*, muscle twitching, irreglar heartbeat, nervousness, fatigue etc - most of the symtoms of anxiety/anxiety attacks which can not be helpful for emets!

My theory is that most people who are nervous have a loss of appetite, therefore are not getting enough electrolytes, which in itself can lead to symtoms of anxiety which can make emets worry more etc. So by taking a drink made for electrolyte inbalance this should help shouldnt it? My reasoning is that giving your body a boost of electrolytes will help the brain to think more cleary about the anxiety.

Does this make sense? It does to me lol. What are your thoughts/views on this?
    The Lord is my shepherd.

Larger list of symptoms die to lack of electrolytes:

* Increased heart rate
    * Increased respiration
    * Decreased sweating
    * Decreased urination
    * Increased body temperature
    * Extreme fatigue
    * Muscle cramps
    * Headaches
    * Nausea
    * Tingling of the limbs

The Lord is my shepherd.

holy crap...you know, i've been having ALL of these symptoms and got blood tests for both my pituitary and thyroid, and they came back negative?? maybe this is my problem! i never thought that it may be an electrolyte inbalance! i may go and get some drinks (certain sports drinks here as well as a product called Pedialyte which is used for very ill children contain electrolytes) and see if my symptoms ease any. at least the drinks taste pretty good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Glad you thought that info was useful. I spent ages researching and thought it was very interesting. Did you go to the shop and buy a drink?
    The Lord is my shepherd.

not yet, but i probably will tomorrow at work. i'll post back in a couple of days once the electrolytes have had time to set in so i can see if there are any results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know that my leg muscles get achy when I go a while without eating and not drinking enough. I usually sip on some Smart Water (which has electrolytes added) or Vitamin Water and that makes me feel better.
    Elizabeth

You guys are right about the electrolyte thing but be careful how much of those sport drinks you consume. Having too much of certain electrolytes can cause similar and sometimes worse symptoms. I'm a nurse by the way! It's pretty normal to have a metabolic pannel drawn when you get routine bloodwork. Electrolytes become out of whack primarily from dehydration. Vitamins and minerals primarily fromfood intake although the two do cross over. Just be carful, electrolyte imbalances can be quite dangerous (potassium, chloride, sodium, magnesium, calcium, etc.)

i was actually going to stock up on foods that are naturally rich in electrolytes. i'm not too fond of the sports drinks, they often leave a really nasty aftertaste...like Gatorade. yuck...Powerade is even worse. I never thought about Vitamin Water though, that sounds like a good idea. No extra sugar!

I know, those sport drinks are slimy....ewwww! Haha.. But good for what they're made for.

i feel amazing after i drink gatorade, maybe this is my problem as well. hahaha.
    "He has not learned the lesson of life who does not every day surmount a fear."