Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been searching online but can't seem to
    find the specific information I'm looking for, and I
    don't know if anyone here would know... can stomach
    viruses be transmitted through saliva/kissing?

I'm a major emetophobe and I recently found out that my
    boyfriend's roomate has some kind of stomach bug...
    typically my method of reasoning for seeing him would
    be: however long his roomate is sick + 3 days he could
    be contagious afterward + 3 day incubation period in
    case he is sick... so I'd wait about week to see him
    after his roomate is "better". But we haven't seen each
    other in a while and he's pretty upset that I don't want
    to just because he was exposed to something, so I'm
    trying to convince myself it's okay and I won't get
    sick. (which I'm sure you all know is practically
    impossible!)

I've read on some sites that as long as you don't have
    any symptoms, you're not contagious. Others say you are.
    Then I found this one website:
    http://www.emetophobiahelp.blogspot.com/ that says
    kissing someone who shows no symptoms can't infect
    you... but it's not any kind of official medical website
    and I couldn't find the same information anywhere else.

Can anyone confirm this? It'd be nice to know that as
    long as he's all showered and clean and washes his hands
    and isn't showing any symptoms, it's unlikely I'll catch
    anything...

He doesn't worry like me at all so I'm sure he probably
    hasn't been careful about washing his hands and whatnot,
    which scares me. The last time someone was sick in my
    house I was washing my hands probably 5-10 times an
    hour, wiping off faucets, door handles, etc. with
    bleach, and I starved myself for days after she was
    better. (and I avoided it!)</font>

ive seen ppl say time after time on here that you cant get it from saliva, and i cant find anything medical online that has anything to do with that particular subject.

not to scare you but my ex [who had no symptoms] hung out with me all day and i kissed him before i left, then began v* from a sv* about 4 hours after i left his house, and i woke up around 3am v*, so from my own personal experience im almost certain you can get it from kissing/saliva bc i did. and nobody else around us was ever s*, and i know he wasnt having symptoms bc he played a soccer game that night and felt fine all day. so i think you can, but if im reading correctly i wouldnt really be worried about kissing my bf if its his roommate thats s*....unless he doesnt have great hygiene.

Norovirus is NOT transmitted through saliva...UNLESS the person has JUST v*'d!

Norovirus IS transmitted by feces/v* to mouth route!

That's Sage's site and was written with the help of her son-in-law, a microbiologist.

Virgo's right. You can't catch it from swapping spit. You can catch it from ingesting either infected feces or v*. (Ew, huh?) And don't let Ankitchen's reply scare you (no offense). There's no way for her to know how or where she caught the sv*.

Amanda its much more probable that you and your ex BF were exposed to the virus together from some friends or from some contaminated food or something. If I'm reading it correctly it sounds like you were v*ing within hours of kissing him which wouldn't be enough, it needs at least 10 hrs to incubate, usually its more like 24-48 hours.

Kristabelle, does your BF know about emetophobia? Does he get that you're deathly afraid and its not that you're avoiding him? Also I think I'd be much more worried about getting contaminated at his house than from him.

My experience has been no, and everything I've read says the same. My husband had noro a few weeks ago and I was kissing him that morning. He started v* about 7-8 hours later and I did not contract it from him.
    Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81
    Kristabelle, does your BF know about
    emetophobia? Does he get that you're deathly afraid and
    its not that you're avoiding him? Also I think I'd be
    much more worried about getting contaminated at his
    house than from him.
    Yes, he knows, but I guess it still hurts his
    feelings... [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] and it's actually his college dorm
    room that's contaminated, not his house. If I were to
    see him I definitely wouldn't go there, he'd come here.
    (And I told him that since his roomate is gone today he
    should take advantage of it and sanitize everything!)

Quote Originally Posted by elizam
    My experience has been no, and everything
    I've read says the same. My husband had noro a few
    weeks ago and I was kissing him that morning. He
    started v* about 7-8 hours later and I did not contract
    it from him.
    That makes me feel a lot better!

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81
    Amanda its much more probable that you and your ex BF were exposed to the virus together from some friends or from some contaminated food or something. If I'm reading it correctly it sounds like you were v*ing within hours of kissing him which wouldn't be enough, it needs at least 10 hrs to incubate, usually its more like 24-48 hours.

the point of me going into detail about that is to say we werent around anyone else that day and im sure it wasnt from food bc we both had a sv*. and it wasnt within hours, HE was v* within 4 hours of me leaving his house but i was v* well after that! i know only from experience that had to be how i got it, even before he v*, and im really not saying that to scare anyone, im saying it so everyone will still be careful bc i didnt think i could get it that way but i did.

Quote Originally Posted by ankitchens
    the point of me going into detail
    about that is to say we werent around anyone else that
    day and im sure it wasnt from food bc we both had a sv*.
    and it wasnt within hours, HE was v* within 4 hours of
    me leaving his house but i was v* well after that! i
    know only from experience that had to be how i got it,
    even before he v*, and im really not saying that to
    scare anyone, im saying it so everyone will still be
    careful bc i didnt think i could get it that way but i
    did.
    You probably did get it from him, but I doubt it was
    that day... had you guys seen each other the day before
    or a couple days before?

I keep reading one thing that makes me want to tell my
    boyfriend he can come over, then another makes me want
    to say no. The thing is, there have been 2 other times
    when I've avoided him because he was near sick people.
    He didn't get sick either time, so I felt dumb for
    avoiding him... (He must have a really good immune
    system!) I'm just afraid I'll jinx it this time. You
    know, the one time I give in of course he'll get sick
    and then I will!

Gah!! I hate this time of year. I hardly leave the house
    and I refuse to sleep at friends' houses because I have
    this fear I'll wake up in the middle of the night and
    get sick.

Emetophobia really does ruin lives [img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img]

Oh and can anyone tell me why my posts don't fill the
    whole length of the screen? It's really weird!

its different tho bc its not your bf who is sick! if he had a sv* i would avoid him but since its his roommate who has it, your bf would know if he had it so i wouldnt be worried unless he says he is feeling s*. you should be fine...i wouldnt avoid him bc of that!

its different tho bc its not your bf who is sick! if he had a sv* i would avoid him but since its his roommate
    who has it, your bf would know if he had it so i wouldnt be worried unless he says he is feeling s*. you should be fine...i wouldnt
    avoid him bc of that!
    But you didn't know your boyfriend was sick either when you saw him and you both ended up sick :P maybe my bf is infected and not
    showing symptoms yet and the same thing would happen to me...

I've been trying to tell myself "what if I hadn't known??" If my bf's roommate hadn't told my bf he'd been sick, my bf wouldn't have
    known (he wasn't around him when he was actually sick) and wouldn't have been able to tell me. I'm just trying to come up with any
    reasons I can for why it's okay to see him.

I also try to think that, he works in a grocery store and is probably exposed to stuff all the time and I just don't know about it.
    (so I don't worry) Now, I don't really -like- to think about that, but it makes me realize that I'm kind of taking this too far. I'm
    always asking my sister "is anyone sick at school??" and if I always worry about who my family/friends/bf have been near when I'm
    near them, I'm never going to want to be near anybody! Sometimes I honestly wish I could just live in a sanitary little bubble.
    (Like in that movie Bubble Boy!)

My doctor told me you can't catch it from saliva unless the person just v*ed.
    Crayon

im sure we are all exposed to things everyday we dont know about, just recently a friend of mine stayed with me one night and all day the next day. like a week later he told me he left my house bc he felt s* and he was v* for 5 days straight but he didnt tell me bc he knew i would worry and that shows me how much we do worry over nothing....if he had told me i would have worried for days but i didnt bc i didnt know.

i think the sv* i got from my bf was one of those things that doesnt happen very often bc thats the only time *knock on wood* ive really had a sv* [besides when i was a kid and kids get them a lot more often] but i wouldnt change plans of hanging out with my bf over something that may never happen, bc ive done that time after time and a week later i feel so stupid for not doing that!!

How cute Ankitchens! Your belly is starting to grow!! It would be awsome if you could update that pic once in a while so we can see how your baby is coming along!! Any names picked out yet?

yeah im planning on updating it every month or so....im finally seeing a change so its exciting
    ive been thinking on a few and ive actually been talking with the babys dad about helping me with names and maybe earning his right to see him/her and hes really made a turn around, but names are hard...weve come up with a few so far!

for a girl:
    emerie baya
    avery trinity

and for a boy:
    cayson knox
    gavin mason

i did love them all but now im not sure if i like any of them haha
    this is the hardest part
    but if anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them....im gonna start a new post so im not taking this poor girls over

the point of me going into detail about that is to say we werent around anyone else that day and im sure it wasnt from food bc we both had a sv*. and it wasnt within hours, HE was v* within 4 hours of me leaving his house but i was v* well after that! i know only from experience that had to be how i got it, even before he v*, and im really not saying that to scare anyone, im saying it so everyone will still be careful bc i didnt think i could get it that way but i did.
    Once again I'm not trying to offend, but there's no possible way to know for sure how you caught that stomach virus. Your hypothesis is not based on fact, even though I know that you feel it's true. Your boyfriend could have been incubating the virus for three days before he was actually sick. You could have caught it from him in those days or elsewhere making your illnesses coincidental, but unrelated. Anyhow, I think it's unfair to make a statement (with no medical basis) like that to an emet asking for information. I get that you're not trying to instill fear here, but if I had read your reply a few years ago, it would have freaked me out. Edited by: sherbear

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear
    Once again I'm not trying to offend, but there's no possible way to know for sure how you caught that stomach virus. Your hypothesis is not based on fact, even though I know that you feel it's true. Your boyfriend could have been incubating the virus for three days before he was actually sick. You could have caught it from him in those days or elsewhere making your illnesses coincidental, but unrelated. Anyhow, I think it's unfair to make a statement (with no medical basis) like that to an emet asking for information. I get that you're not trying to instill fear here, but if I had read your reply a few years ago, it would have freaked me out.

im not trying to scare anyone with my answer, but what can happen can happen...period. i am only trying to make sure she is cautious....im just giving the facts from my own personal experience and i would want someone to do the same for me. i would rather say something [like above] that may or may not be able to happen and her be cautious with what she does and who shes around than everyone to say oh no you cant and then somehow she catch it!

THATS what i would want someone to do for me, im only trying to help like everyone else is on here!!

and its based on fact bc i asked my doctor about it when i went in and was s* and he said that was most likely how i got it. bc we didnt eat together, we hadnt been together recently, and the only s* ppl he was around was his dad who came home from a business trip an hour before i got to the house and was in his room the whole time, he didnt interact with anyone in the house. and my bf was fine before then....

i would just rather her be safe than sorry is all im trying to say here!

But it's really not based on fact. You're giving misinformation.

I'm quoting Sage here...
    "It cannot be transmitted through saliva. Saliva is made from mucus, related to the lymph system, not the digestive system. Saliva secretes antibodies, actually! I would recommend no "close" contact with someone displaying symptoms - (kissing, sharing glasses, etc.) as you don't know how many viral particles are hanging around their mouths from vomitus (just to be safe)."

And now Alvin (the microbiologist)...
    "Once the person is incubating the virus in their intestines, they will shed it in their stool. If they contaminate their hands with fecal matter, they can pass it on to you by touching something that you touch, or by touching you directly. You CANNOT get it through saliva. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT airborne."

Sage again...
    "Whatever doctor argues with the above facts is simply misinformed. Doctors are not walking medical encyclopedias. They have very little training on this stuff cuz there's no cure for it anyway. There is nothing for a doctor to learn unless it's how to treat the ensuing dehydration, so it's often one class, and skimmed over! I think you should tell the doctor who argues with me to show you something in writing - some technical information about how this virus behaves. Show me ANY research that shows these viruses to be saliva-transmitted or airborne and I will eat my hat on television. Email Sage with the info when you get it."

I feel Sage summed it up perfectly...
    "In the end, if you choose not to believe Alvin, and you choose to be afraid, then we have to respect that. If you choose to believe your own anxiety ("experience") rather than scientific facts, then you should at least understand that that is what you are doing.It's almost like you are saying to yourself "I have heard the facts, but I'd rather not believe them and make up some of my own so I am still afraid." Again, this is a choice we respect. You are free to do it, and you are free to continue to post your concerns on this forum. However Alvin and I will continue to post the facts, and we will continue in our mission of helping people, educating them, calming them...with absolute integrity."

words that came out of my doctors mouth is misinformation?
    why are sage and alvins words so right?
    my doctor wouldnt make that up so im gonna believe it....you dont have to but im sure my doctor knows what hes talking about!!!
    you can put whatever info you want but im gonna believe what im saying bc IT HAPPENED TO ME....im going to continue giving this info bc its true.
    im not trying to argue with anyone im trying to keep ppl from getting a sv*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!

No, saying that she/you/we can catch a stomach virus from saliva is giving misinformation.

"I would rather say something [like above] that may or may not be able to happen and her be cautious with what she does and who she's around than everyone to say oh no you can't and then somehow she catch it!"

^That's doing more harm than good. I don't know how bad kristabelle's emetophobia is, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that your untruths are scaring the pants off of somebody. If I was the same fearful person today as I was half a decade ago, your reply would have made me stop kissing everyone - my husband, my kids, because 'It's in their saliva. What if they're incubating? I don't wanna get sick.'.

Additionally, I don't think that our focus should be on keeping others from getting a stomach virus. There are people here who may never vomit again a day in their life, but they're still afraid. Anxiety is our problem.

people have scared the crap out of me on here before but anxiety or no anxiety we have to face it. i am just like everyone else on here, but i would rather someone tell me the truth than for someone to sugar coat it so "maybe" it will help my anxiety. im not saying never kiss people again, thats stupid. if you scroll up some i told her not to worry about it bc it isnt her bf thats sick.
    its different tho bc its not your bf who is sick! if he had a sv* i would avoid him but since its his roommate who has it, your bf would know if he had it so i wouldnt be worried unless he says he is feeling s*. you should be fine...i wouldnt avoid him bc of that!
    so before everyone gets all up set we are here for the same reason and im hear to help/make ppl more cautious of whats going on around them!!!
    and no, thats not entirely true, i would want someone to tell me a way to keep myself from getting a sv*, its not just the anxiety or ppl wouldnt tell you to wash your hands before you eat and etc.

I'm not saying you (or any of us for that matter) should tip-toe around any subject for the sake of not causing fear. We shouldn't tell little, white lies or half-truths to make someone feel better, but we also shouldn't give out misinformation. That's not gonna help anybody. I totally get that you're not trying to convince everyone to stop kissing, but that's what your 'experience' could translate to in a very fearful person. Edited by: sherbear

i believe i made it pretty clear on what i was saying if everyone would stop to read the entire post. and kristabelle didnt seem like she was bothered by it...only you

There are lots of people who visit this site. Like I said, I bet you scared someone.

well thank you for "betting" i did something negative to someone on here...im sure you pointing that out helped them! if i did i would apologize to that person but ive seen a lot worse be said on here and ive told this story before for an example and everyone thanked me for sharing what happened to me, thats what this is for...and you need to understand that

Quote Originally Posted by kristabelle
    Can anyone confirm this? It'd be nice to know that as long as he's all showered and clean and washes his hands and isn't showing any symptoms, it's unlikely I'll catch anything...
    Back on topic...Kristabelle, this is exactly right. Don't be afraid. Go snuggle with your man.

and i told you not to avoid him as well, but evidently im a bitch who doesnt know anything and never said that even tho its posted at the top

im sorry girl that all this got started on your post...its dumb and im trying to stop it lol

the immaturity from others is taking over evidently!!