Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Am scared

Please help – I can’t settle. Last night my boyfriend came to see me – his kids have had this sickness bug and he’s been fine then last night he told me he was feeling off colour with his tummy and thought he was going down with it – he told me all this after he’d kissed me!! He said he thought it would just go off and could just be one of those things and would see how feels this morning. However, he texted me first thing to say he was feeling as if he really had got this bug and would let me know as the day goes on. I’ve texted him to ask how he is when I got to work and so far no reply so I’m assuming he’s in bed sick! What if I catch it? I am now terrified. How do I get round this? I just can’t settle now for fear of being sick.

First, try to relax. If this is norovirus and he wasn't showing symptoms of v* or d* while you were together, it is unlikely that you will get it from him. You really have to be in contact with either v* or d* particles to contract it.

My husband had it last month and I was kissing him just hours before he started v*. I was sure I would get it, but I washed my hands thoroughly and bleached all of the surfaces in the house, paying special attention to the bathroom and things like faucets and soap dispensers and light switches and doorknobs, and I was fine. Nobody else in the house caught it.
    Elizabeth

Hi, thanks very much for your reply. I thought you could catch a bug when it is coming on someone and not just while they are V so what you have told me is a comfort. My boyfriend still hasn’t texted me so he really will be bad or he’d have been in touch by now. As soon as he told me how he felt last night I didn’t want him near me, he takes it lightly but he doesn’t realise how phobic I am, he just said that we can ‘share everything’ in fun. I don’t want his share of V though.

Sorry I meant to say aswell, the virus has gone through his family like wildfire which makes me more scared I will catch it.

Hi just an update, has a text from my boyfriend, he says he is OK now and going to work tonight so thankfully the bug didn't take hold of him. I am still flapping a bit though thinking I might have caught something but the main panic is over now - thanks anyway.

How are you now? Any news? I sure hope all is well!
    Life is so worth living.

I know the terror you feel when you find out that someone around you has ANYTHING that MAY BE contagious which involves vomiting. It's like you're waiting for "it" to happen any minute, and I don't know about you, but then I stop eating for several days afterwards "just in case".... but usually nothing ever happens. Those of us with emetophobia rarely ever vomit, even when something's going around... yet we worry ourselves sick at the possibility.

Hi, all is OK now, thank you for your concern. I have seen my boyfriend twice now since he announced to me that he thought he had got the bug and it was something that just came and went, he thinks it was down to tiredness but at the time he said he had stomach ache and felt his stomach was really off so I did start to panic.

I also stop eating for a few days after I've been near someone who I know has a V bug. Its a nightmare isn't it?

Its good to come on here and talk to people who have the same phobia.

It is the worst feeling when you're close to a sick person. Just remember we
    can be exposed to it more than we think and be alright. My daughter got a
    diarrhea virus in November, and I was caring for her everyday for the days
    she had it. I never got a touch of it. Just practice good hand washing. Never
    stick your hands in your mouth or nose if they haven't been washed after
    touching surfaces and handles, or people. You should be just fine, because
    other than ingesting the virus on your skin, you can't catch it, unless you're
    standing next to someone who v*s.
    Life is so worth living.