Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hey everyone,
    i have been suffering from severe panic and anxiety attacks since i was like 10, im 24 now, and most of my panic attacks were always because i felt n** or seeing or even hearing about someone else v** and never knew why. i learned about emetophobia about 3 years ago while i was pregnant with my first child and finnally it all made sense, this is what i have. since bein pregnant with morning sickness i have become somewhat ok with doin it myself, i can ussually handle it , i mean i still panic but i am able to cope with it a little better now. also i have been able to control my anxiety attacks pretty well and things have been goin well. my life has been pretty normal.

i have been able to avoid seeing it for a very long time and now my oldest daughter is two and she had a really bad cold , just coughing and sneezing, and the other day she took me completely by surprise and v** in the middle of the living room. omg i tottally freaked out and panicked, i held it in while i cleaned it up and put her to bed but after ward i could not calm down, i was shaking horribly and my heart was pounding. and now its been a week and i still cant shake it i feel like im a little kid again not bein able to control my anxiety and panic and also i just had a baby 2 months ago and have been dealing with a little post pardum depression and the depression now is so bad because of all of the anxiety, im begining to feel hopelessness again. now ever since my daughter got sick i have been really weird around her like getting nervous when shes with me and i start to panic every time she start acting a little out of the ordinary for fear that she will do it again.and i get so nervous every time she eats and watch her carefully for signs that she might v** i dont know what to do with myself i am so upse t about this that i cant feel comfortable around my own daughter.

my question is to any emet with kids how do you deal with it when your kids get sick? do you ever get past it or do you tottally loose it when it happens? i dont know what to do, i know kids get sick but up until this point i never even thought about how i would deal with it when it happens. i was totally unpreparedand now im a f*ckin mess and dont know what to do. i dont want this phobia to change how i am with my kids and its begining to. and i feel horrible about it, this is such a crippling phobia, does anyone ever get over it and how? i dont want to be constantly worrying that my kids gonna v** ,i cant live like that. please help

dana

Hi Im Geraldine new to here, I have 5 children , I have emit since i was a child, i had severe morning sickness with all 5 but never V, I feel im bad mother not once did i help them when they were vomiting even now ive a 11 year old he will just go straight to his dad. im 47 feel so foolish ive told noone about this phobia, only llast night i had bad Nausea from midnight till 7 am, took stemitil and 3 traxnene , woke my husband up during the night to bring me to a shop to get soda water though i had it in the house, i just wanted to run , its crazy, is there any more irish people on here [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    geraldine xx

I have three kids, and the first time my oldest got sick, I froze. I didn't know what to do, and my husband yelled at me to get something to help clean him up. Then I snapped to and sort of went on autopilot. The first time my middle child got sick, I quickly volunteered to run to the store to get pedialyte! I felt like a horrible mother. I felt that it was my duty to sit with her and comfort her. I will say this, it does get easier. I still do not like it when they get sick, but when my youngest got sick this Jan, I was very matter-of-fact about it. I cleaned it up and changed her clothes. My oldest got it as well and I had to clean up his bed. I held my breath and cleaned it up. I worried I would get it for about a week and then my anxiety subsided. It does not have to be debilitating. You can push yourself through it. I just remind myself that my children need me, and I can freak out later if I need to.
    It's OK to freak out, too. I give myself permission to lose it after I have seen my child's needs have been met. I'll hole up in the bedroom and stay there until I can calm down.
    It fluctuates, I find. I have gone years without much worry, but my fear has been heightened this past month. I hope this was even mildly helpful.

Hi All, I have 2 kids, ages 11 and 7, and I too freak out and CANNOT take care of them when they are sick. Thankfully I have an understanding hubby who can help...but the worry never ends...and once I was alone with my first when she was about 17 months old. She got sick in the living room out of the blue. I freaked out and called my hubby, my parents, left her behind the baby gate...finally got a towel and wrapped her in it and waited outside for my hubby. Luckily he works close. When he came I lost it, and cried and shook.
    I felt like the most horrible mother. But you remember more than they do. And one therapist told me that is why there are 2 parents (usually)...when one can't do something, the other can.
    My kids are older now and sort of understand my fear. THey will go to Dad with stuff like that. I thank God they are not afraid or affected by my fear.
    It's hard being a mom, no question, but you do the best you can...take care...