Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am wondering if anyone has the same feelings about this as me?

I can be around someone who Vs (although it still gets to me) unless they have a virus. For example, ifsomeone Vs because they are on a boat I could handle that without having a panick attack... but if someone Vs due to unknown causes Ipanick because they might have a virus or somethingcontagious that I could catch and end upVing over.

I know that if you are exposed to a virus that makes you V you should become sick 4-48 hours later. That's whatI am mostly afraid of because the only thing that has ever made me V is catching something like that. WhenI catch the stomachbug I am violentlyill for days. Does anyone have a fear like this? If so, how to do cope with it? Thanks,

~Amy

When you have a virus there are usuallly symptoms that you experience before the v*ing kicks in, such as a fever, shivering, sweating,nauseaetc.And generaly peoplegoing through that feel crappy anddon't go out. And if it does hit someone while they're out, you get a warning because they go pale or red in the face and shake alot. So you would know beforehand to avoid them. If someone spontaneously(sp?) v*s then it's most likely they're hungover or ate something weird. So don't worry.And my mum's a nurse so she tells me this stuff (Because I had the same worries as you) Edited by: hippyclown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <font color=BLUE>I LOVE TO LAUGH!</font>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy, I am just like you - I can handle it much better if people around me are v*ing because of something not contagious. If it an unknown cause, I also have panic attacks and can't stop worrying that I'm going to get it.

My coping mechanism is to remind myself that I know I imagine v*ing to be SO much worse than it actually is, and that if I do v*, I will survive and move on to the next day. One of my friends v*ed pretty much every day for the entire 9 months of her pregnancy - some nights she'd be up all night with it. I tell myself at least a stomach bug usually only lasts a day or two (and I hope that my pregnancy is much better!).

However, your situation is much more difficult because you know how you respond to viruses, AND you can't really avoid your child when she/he is sick (I'm sorry, I don't remember if you have a little boy or girl!). Maybe you could talk to your doctor to get some facts to work with, and that might help you feel more in control of the situation. Find out things such as:

*Because you have reacted to stomach bugs this horribly before, does that mean you always will or was it only that particular bug? Maybe if it was just a really nasty one, you don't have too much to worry about in the future.

* What can you do to reduce your own exposure while caring for your child? I personally have considered wearing a face mask when my child is sick (when I have one), but I'm afraid it will make him/her feel unloved - but maybe you doctor would have some advice.

* What drug options are available if you come down with something? Some anti-emetics are very powerful, and maybe they would prescribe something that you could take before getting to the point of hospitalization.

Good luck!Edited by: soluene
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

Everyone else's advice is good! One morething to remember is that you're exposed to all kinds of nasty stuff every single day, but you hardly catch any diseases. You could kiss a person with a nasty virus, and there's a good chance your body will kill it off before it makes you sick. I like soluene's idea to be prepared -- know what your doctor would give you, and have a plan for someone else to take over at home/work if you do feel sick so that you can just relax and focus on surviving!

May

It's the same for me - if someone is sick through motion sickness or alcohol for examply, I don't worry half as much - just avoid them if I can.

(TOUCH WOOD) I've only had one stomach bug in my life - when I was 8 years old. It was one of those 2 day things that goes around school in the summer, and before I started being sick, I felt very tired and thirsty all day, so it was obviously a virusy thing.

Somehow I didn't catch a Norwalk style virus at school camp when I was 11 - when everyone else (there were about 40 of us) got it. I don't know how that happened! The best thing to do is to wash hands regularly (I'm sure we all do that) yet a lot of viruses can be airborne and it's in the lap of the gods as to whether you get it.

I get very scared when someone has a stomach bug. Often I hold my breath when I'm around them and avoid them, but in the past its hurt their feelings because they haven't totally understood.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]But sometimes if I do catch it, it manifests into a diahorrea bug rather than a v* one. Unpleasant as it is, I'd rather have that anyday!