Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just recently found out that there was a scientific name for what I always called being deathly afraid of throwing up.

I don't really fear it day to day, it's more that I start getting really panicky when I'm nauseous, I start shaking and crying if I think I'm going to throw up, the only thing that really helps is fresh air. What I used to do as a child (when this all started) was that I would think about how I would feel if my mom wasn't there for me, just so that I would start crying and forget about feeling sick to my stomach.

To be honest, though, I think I hate vomiting because I'm afraid of choking on my vomit. Does anybody else have this problem? I'm not afraid of choking in the sense that I watch what I eat, but it's only when the vomit is coming up, I can't stop it and I feel like I can't breathe.

(I'm sorry if that was too grapic)

I'm not afraid of choking while v*, I'm simply afraid of n* feeling and v* itself.

OFF - I'd been living in Netherlands [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img], it's still in my heart. I miss it. i was living in Eindhoven and Den Haag) Where do you live?
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm scared of choking because I could v*. I also just hate the feeling.

I think everyone has their different fears within the fear kind of thing. Mine is the taste.

A lot of people with emetophobia fear choking, so you're not alone.

But the good news is that you can't actually choke when you vomit. Although we fear it, some of us worse than death, it's actually not dangerous at all. Humans, as well as other animals, can vomit quite well (so to speak!). The only exception is if you're unconscious because of drinking or some horrible sickness...then you need to be turned on your side. Apart from that it's perfectly safe.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I have always been afraid of choking too. Just six months ago I actually did choke on some food and it set off my fear of v* overwhelmingly! At the time I was choking I would have done anything to v* if it would stop the choking episode! Crazy how your mind erases it's fears temporarily to keep you alive! I still have nightmares thinking about the whole thing.

Hi peoples, i found out a long time ago that ive had this fear and ive had it since i was a child. My biggest fear is the actual event.I would rather feel nausious for weeks on end than v*** once. I feel like a freak everyday but the closest people to me always only are reminded when there is a stomach virus going around. I start to lose my mind for weeks on end. Its distressing and heartbreaking to watch. I would give anyting to be like my b/f who is so accustomed to it that he thinks it makes you better. I hate being this way, this fear is cripling.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkinever
    Hi peoples, i found out a long time ago that ive had this fear and ive had it since i was a child. My biggest fear is the actual event.I would rather feel nausious for weeks on end than v*** once. I feel like a freak everyday but the closest people to me always only are reminded when there is a stomach virus going around. I start to lose my mind for weeks on end. Its distressing and heartbreaking to watch. I would give anyting to be like my b/f who is so accustomed to it that he thinks it makes you better. I hate being this way, this fear is cripling.
    I think you should of started a new topic so everybody can welcome you, We're all emets here. =hugs= Welcome
    Life is a wonderful ride.

Also, Yes I'm really scared of choking too. I freak out so much everytime something gets stuck in my throat or feels like it gets stuck in my throat I freak out so much I get n* and feel like I'm going to faint.
    Life is a wonderful ride.