Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all, I'm new here, but I was just wondering if anyone else panics when they hear something say that "there's something going around." Even if there is, I just don't want to hear about it. It leaves me scared for hours.

I panic and sometimes I even avoid the place that it is supposedly going around in.
    Life is a wonderful ride.

I go instant panic mode.. I don't breath at my son's cub scouts.. I don't want anyone touching me. I don't want friends over.. you are so not alone. It doesn't help that my oldest friend is a pediatric nurse, my mom is a dental hygentist and my father is a micro biologist.. so if something is going around.. they love to tell me. I don't know if they think it's helpful to give me a heads up.. I hate it. I also hate those parents that if thier kids get ill in the middle of the night, they let their kids go to school the next day.. they have no way of knowing if that kid was sick with a bug and got over it faster than others.. ugh.. and keep your kid home one extra day after a virus.. JUST IN CASE.. please people.. lol.. Ok.. venting with you.. I feel better..

I completely agree! When I hear someone say that they were sick last night I want to punch them and say "Why are you coming to class?!" I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Yep I hate that too. I will say oh I have a stomach ache and someone will say "Oh something is going around"

Is it me or is 'something' allways going around?

Haha you're absolutely right.

i dnot panic (outwardly) but my heart races for a few seconds then i go into ulitmate sanitation mode, or something like that where i keep watch for sick people and an EXTRA careful what goes into my mouth.

I, also, dislike when people talk about something going around. Currenly, my two oldest kids are in preschool. They get picked up by the bus, and one of their little friends v* on it, then I hear all the teachers are v*. One did it at school! I am so stressed about it. I've gone into overdrive - cleaning the house, making sure we're stocked with things that'll help if one of us v*. My husband finds it amusing, but I stress about it. I'll go around feeling normal, and then suddenly, I'll think about it. Every gurgle or sensation in my gut makes me think I'll be next. It doesn't help that my kids are 5, 3, and 1. We live in a veritable petri dish. SOrry for the long vent...

I hate it also.

However, have you noticed that when someone tells you about an illness (no matter whether it is a cold, flue, strep, sv, bronchitis, pneumonia, whatever) they always add that "it is going around?" Just 'cause they say it doesn't mean it is so.

That said, I begin to freak out when I hear way to much of it. That is what scares me.

Stella