Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: preterm labor

i was just in the hospital for preterm labor......they gave me terbutaline to stop the labor and it made me severely n* i begged the nurse for an anti emetic and she wouldnt give me one.
    Im scared that im going to go into labor and get n* and they wont give me anything for the n*.
    Any suggestions??
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

TALK TO THE DOC NOW.. TODAY.. I made them push zofran and other meds into my system during my labor. My first son's birth was very hard (most labors are).. I love to replay it though cause despite the scary.. it was an amazing experience.. My son's birth was traumatic and serious.. we had over 20 nurses in the room and the doc was practically begging me to do a c-section.. finally they actually started to prep me for one and POP he came out.. i was lucky.. I later asked my husband if he was scared.. or why he didn't seem upset by the pain I was going through.. (this I love).. his response was.. and I quote.. "You didn't look like you were in labor, you looked like you were having a panic attack and that was all."..It's really funny in retrospect. I kept making him run to rewet my cold cloth.. I also refused to push when I felt n*, but my doc knew my situation and he pushed anti n* meds in my IV.. talk to your doc now so the order is already placed.. and if you don't agree with him... maybe you have time to find a doc who will be more sympathetic.I've never heard of them refusing.. I'm assuming she just didn't have the orders on hand and she couldn't legally do it.. CALL THE DOC.. make him hear you.. you do not need that extra stress.. Good luck and your in my thoughts.. when is your due date?

good advice, fire. Nurses cannot give you anything the dr. hasn't already ordered, so her hands were tied. Conversely, they MUST give you whatever you want if the dr. HAS ordered it. So start with your doc...and explain the phobia CLEARLY, along with how it may affect you in labour.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yep talk to you're doctor. When I had my daughter it was a planned c-section and I was given zofran before the surgery because I was so scared and n*

The sooner you talk to the doctor the better because now is the time to be calm, being nervous wont help you in you're current condition you need to relax

Let us know how things go!

believe it or not i didn't need any type of antiemetic during labor, and i was induced! i think that part of my body just shut off, i was focusing more on working through my contractions and trying not to freak out. in the end i ended up having a c-section because my water had been broken for almost 8 hours and i was stuck at 7.5cm. all they gave me was the acid neutralizer right before i was wheeled into surgery, and actually by that time i did feel a little n* from the pain of the contractions/epidural and from the Stadol that was put into my IV to dull the pain before my epidural. the only reason i was in so much pain was because the pitocin took over my system and i was having contractions every 45 seconds. it was like a never-ending wave of contrations. oncoming pain, peak for 10 seconds, release, repeat.

i would make sure that the doctor knows you need to have an anti-emetic. i was able to take them while pregnant, just beg for Zofran in your IV. your doctor should want to do whatever it takes to make sure you are comfortable (well, as much as you can be during childbirth!). also, get an epidural as early as you can! don't wait it out like i did! i was attempting a "natural" birth, without pain medication, but of course I couldn't do it. my blood pressure went through the roof and i ended up being toxemic. anyway, when you get the epidural, do yourself a favor and don't look at the cloths when they take them off your back after the administration. you may end up passing out if you do. i almost did.

how much longer do you have until you're due?

They should give you an anti emetic in labor! Seriously, I had phenergan
    running through my veins with both my labors. Your doctor should give the
    okay dear. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Life is so worth living.