Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Last week, my friend and I were just sitting around and talking because we didn't have anything to do during class. He's really into acting, and he likes to memorize scenes from movies and comedy sketches, and repeat them. I was listening to him do one of these (I don't know what it was or where it came from,) and he imitated the sound of vomiting. I don't remember exactly what it sounded like, because I only heard it clearly for a second, but it seems like it sounded pretty realistic. I covered my ears and dove headfirst into the corner (the room we were in was triangular.) I think he didn't know what to do at first, but after a minute, he started tapping me on the back and trying to talk to me. I couldn't respond because I was hyperventilating. It probably took between five and ten minutes to get up and be able to talk to him again, but eventually I told him what happened and he understood.

Does it bother you to hear someone imitate the sound, even though you know it's just a sound?

If I know its fake then I don't care that much I can make realistic sounds myself. Like so realistic I'll make myself n* lol I'm sorryy you poor thing =hugs=
    Life is a wonderful ride.

Quote Originally Posted by olli
    Does it bother you to hear someone imitate the sound, even though you know it's just a sound?
    Not at all anymore)
    Last night I heard my sister cough and then v*. I was not scared at all.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I read this and almost cried.
    I know exactly how you feel. I once found myself running away from my six
    year old cousin who coughed funny once.
    It wasn't controlled..or something that I wanted to do..
    I just ran because my fear took over and my whole family looked at me so
    strangly as to why i had run so fast away from her.

Well if someone makes a fake vomit noise and I know its fake it doesn't bother me. But if someone is really vomiting and I hear it I will freak out.

A fake sound used to freak me out completely. Not as bad as the OP describes, but almost. Now it gives me a little adrenalyn shock for 1/2 a sec, but then it goes away. If I know beforehand the person is going to do it, I feel nothing now.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

The fake sounds don't bother me too much. My husband sometimes teases
    me that way by making the sound after he eats too much. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]
    Last edited by sdfl; 01-08-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    Life is so worth living.

im sorry, i hope he doesnt do it again

I actually practicly gag when I hear someone due that. Or when they try and do "burp speak" ugh.

My mother used to use that against me. Like if I wouldn't do something that she had asked me to do (take out trash, ect...)...but the bad thing? I knew that it didn't take much 'fake' retching until she actually v*'d...
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

In Yahoo Messenger, there is a new audible (filed under "insults") that is labeled "barfing sound." It is so disgusting that I had to mute my computer tonight when a so-called friend sent it to me.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Good to know, though. I can add the link to my desensitization website. I'll check it out AFTER dinner!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

The one thing that frightens me about ppl imitating it is abad expierence with that i expierenced once. One of my girlfriends was imitating the sound cuz it was really bothering my friend..she actually ended up gagging so hard she v* right there.. yeah not a pretty sight.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

People gagging or imitating the sound drives me crazy. Every morning my dad coughs up phlegm and it sounds like he's being sick but he's not. It used to make me panic. I've heard him actually v* and it's much, much worse, but it still bugs me. If anybody imitates someone v*ing I'm not kidding when I say I'll slap them.