Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello,

Am a 35 year young mum of 1 and I have had Emetophobia for as long as I can remember.

Have also got OCD with certain things and at the moment it is all getting on top of me [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Feel very alone with this as not getting much support from family - I think they think I am slightly mad and even if I get no replies pleased that I can write this down and offload a bit from my head..

I find it difficult to go through each day as so many things take over. Worried about best before dates on food, constantly asking my boy if he is ok (must be giving him a complex!!) always ear wigging at the school in case someone is feeling ill and then taking a few steps away and hoping that my little darling will not go too close!

Have started eating less as am getting more and more panicky..

Sorry for going on and thanks for looking

Vicky

Hi Vicky,
    Welcome to the site!
    Sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi. Welcome I am sorry your are having a rough time. I am 32 and have been an emet for as long as I can remember. I have anxiety and and panic attacks. However I do not suffer from OCD, but a few people on this site do. I hope you feel at home here with us!

Hello, welcome. I'm a newbie too.

I've been an emet from the age of about 5. I had OCD for a while for a year or so around the age of 6-7 (or possibly a little older) and was obsessed with handwashing. I only stopped because my Mum threatened to take me to a child pschchologist!

Ironically, I've never been concerned about best before dates - mainly cos almost everything we eat in our house is out of date, I just never realised until I got older and by then I assumed it must be ok! At Uni, I'd end up picking the mould off my bread to try and save money!

I can absolutely relate.. I am 31 and have been an Emet since I was 3 or so.. been put through all the med tests.. now I have two boys, the oldest is 7 and he is that kid that catches everything (I think cause he's a thumb sucker).. my youngest is 4 and only been sick 1 time.. It's a misnomer that people think OCD is action based.. It can be completely internal.. I overthink.. and think and think.. dates, milk, how long.. are toothbrushes touching.. are the kids hands clean.. and I will become anxious what control do I have over most of it.. NONE.. but I can't shut it off.. and my husband.. ugh.. forget it.. never washes his hands and yet never gets sick, which makes me feel good to an extent, but grosses me out much more.. you can't really make him wash his hands.. basically.. I can't give any advice because at the moment I feel that volcano boiling in my head and the pressure of doing EVERYTHING around here.. I'm at my breaking point too, but I'm honest with my family about it.. they know.. they are aware, and they are on watch.. I think sometimes they don't validate because they feel they WILL push me over.. or help me along with self destruction.. I guess i'm venting now too.. boy it does feel good..

Thank you for your replies! Am glad I am not on my own..

Do find it difficult as my husband wont really take this seriously and my family tries to ignore it as they dont really understand it..

The emet has def got worse since I had my little boy as now its someone that I dont have control over, at least with myself I know how I am feeling.

Do feel like I am a bad mum sometimes..

hey welcome to the site. im in the UK too. 28 and suffered emet all my life. i dont have any children...yet. we just got married last year so no hurry at the moment. to be honest, i dont know if ill ever have them really.

i know what u mean about family just kind of trying to ignore it. my husband is very good and very patient with me but i dont really discuss it with my family. they just dont understand. it makes me mad tho coz if it was anything "physical" im sure they would be a lot more supportive. but coz its mental, they think its just all in my head and im being silly and need to grow up - if only...

I can't believe there are so many others that have this. I think one good lide effect is that it has kept me from ever drinking too much alcohol.

I have vomited only 4 times in my life. Two of the episodes were horrible, and when I threw up all night as a child, that's when I think the lifelong fear kicked in.

I am becoming more stressed as I get older, have developed some other phobias (such as fear of flying), but none that are as bad as this. Whenever I feel that I might throw up, I walk around, drink ginger ale, and pray it won't happen. I also have a fear of waking up nauseous from a deep sleep.

Welcome!!

I'm a newbie around here too (can read my introduction post if you want my story!). I too was amazed at how many people suffer from emetephobia!! I didn't even know it had a name til recently. At least we're not alone.

Well, First of all WELCOME! Also if you ever need someone to talk to my contact information is in my signature.
    Life is a wonderful ride.

Welcome to IES! You have a home here [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Life is so worth living.