Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was just wondering how anyone else handles themselves at their work enviorment? Every job I've had I had to visualize myself being comfortable there. I'd ask myself can I make it quick enough to the bathroom? Will I encounter v* around here ect. I couldn't EVER work at a resturant because I thought seeing and smelling food all day would make me ill. I was also afraid someone would become ill while eating. I couldn't work at a mall because the bathrooms are too far out of reach and too many people walking around. I always figured an office was the most comfortable place if I had to work a job anywhere. I am lucky right now because I am a stay at home mom and my son and I aren't exposed too all the germs. Walmart and clinics are the only thing I worry about when I take my son out. I always carry antibacterial...I can't stop letting my son live a normal childhood because of my phobia.

I did what no emeto would do however, my last job was at a daycare. I was on assistace at the time after my son was born due to a job loss. I was in a program at worksource where they pay for my childcare while I find a job. I had to put my son in daycare which horrified me! I found a daycare for him and told the childcare providers my situation and unfortunately they offered me a job before I could start looking for one. I had to take the job because the program I was in would have terminated my assistace. I worked at this daycare for only 2 weeks until I quit. I never seen so much v* in all my life. MY WORSE NIGHTMARE had come true. I started working there right at the peak of sv season. My son was my biggest concern because at the time he was so young and putting EVERYTHING in his mouth. I would take him home at the end of the day and scrub him and myself down and our clothes washed in hot water and soap. Day after day more kids with diarrhea and v* Then it happened my son got sick and I cried and cried. I felt so selfish because I wasn't crying for him being sick, I was crying because I thought I was gonna be next. I quit my job and never went back. In fact I never even picked up my paycheck for the 2 weeks I worked there. I think that job was a complete nightmare. I think the perfect job for people like us is to just stay at home with a business. So how do you deal with getting up and going to work everyday? Do you feel comfortable in your work enviorment?

Oh my God!

I was actually thinking of becoming a babysitting RIGHT before I got noro.

Then I was like...heeeeeeell no! I would only be able to barely handle my kids and my siblings kids.

I would love to have a stay at home business since I actually like being home (emet aside, I really like being home)

I only work a few days a week.The night before work I CANNOT sleep.The anxiety just gets to me...I don't know what would happen if I had to do that all week! work is pretty good.At first, I got bad anxiety to the point to where my n* was full blown but i'm chill with it now.I don't work with humans so it's cool.

The boss's friends kid came down the other day and she was just getting over a sv*!!! I was surprised I didn't get all freaked out with her being there.

I used to work in travel agencies and the last two places i worked at, i insisted on having the desk nearest the door of the shop (I knew the boss and he knew i got panic attacks, not about the emet) so he humoured me...then i got a job working at home and my emet spiralled big time, i thought it would be perfect but it just pampered to it (that's the wrong word but can't think of the right one!) and it let me indulge in over obsessive housework (did the whol house top to bottom daily 3+ hours a day) and I felt safe closeted away from the world and it's horrible germs, but then it went too fare and it got the the stage i couldn't go out, or if i had to i had major panic attacks and would run out supermarkets with half a trolley full of food and run out of restaurants not being able to eat etc until i was pretty much housebound.

i though working from home was perfect but for me it "fed the phobia" and made me worse - if i had kids though that would be a different story altogether as they would force you to have to go out and it would be a perfect solution to childcare problems etc but i was on my own and that wasn't a good thing. (for me)

I now work in a reception area and I cased the joint when i came for my interview [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] and when i saw i was right next to a loo and that there are massive sliding windows next to my desk overlooking gardens with lots of trees and bushes to run off and v* in I knew it was my perfect job, the only downer is i share my workstation with security who are here when i'm not but i just dettol spray it down a few times a day after anyone else has sat here.Edited by: paulinek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Right now I am one year away from becoming an elementary teacher. After that, I want to either continue studying psychology (I have BSc in psych) with a masters, or take a masters in education that will let me do school counseling.

I know I will have to handle vomiting with it - in fact I have already had it happen while student teaching - a kid got sick but made it to the hallway.

I know it will be hard but I'm not letting emet control my life. I'm going to do what I want to do and take one day at a time. Hopefully the days will get easier as I go, and I will have won another battle against this phobia.

I know not everyone is able to handle this, or at this point at all. My turning point was when I was afraid to go to university, would hide from social events, etc. and then I realized that I was NOT controlling this phobia, it was controlling me, by limiting what I could and couldn't do. I want to live my life and not miss out on anything!Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh