Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Are you scared by seeing the words?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it’s important to see them

6 16.67%
  • It really doesn’t affect me

27 75.00%
  • It makes me slightly nervous

3 8.33%
  • It makes me very nervous

0 0%
  • It sends me in a panic

0 0%

I don't believe that censoring the words nausea, vomit, sick, puke, barf, etc. is beneficial, and I always make a point of writing out the full word in my posts on the site.

I realize that some people may be sensitive to seeing the words, though. I don't think its healthy to censor them, because that just makes them seem scarier. The more you see them, the less scary they become (also known as desensitization).

However, if anyone is really bothered by this then I will consider changing and censoring those words!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Honestly, when I read a post, whether it says v* or vomit, I always say the entire word while I am reading it in my head. I don't see a difference, but that is me.

I do like to say d*, otherwise I have to look up the spelling each time...LOL!

I agree with Jill, however, I do understand that some people do not feel comfortable seeing these words. This is a support group, so I like to support everyone, which is why I usually censor them in my posts.

Either way I'll probably continue to say d* I can't spell it either. haha [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

In threads and in conversation with other emets I usually censor them just to be courteous. Usually not d* though. Maybe I just like to be a ham cause I CAN spell it and most of us aren't afraid of it. But...doesnt it have a different US/UK English spelling?

i think it all depends on how anxious im already feeling, if im feeling sick at all, i dont really like seeing the words.
    the word vomit doesnt really bother me but words like barf, puke, up-chuck, and one other that im not even gonna mention cuz its rly gross. Those ones bother me bcuz they just sound so gross. And sometimes they put nasty images in my mind.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

It doesn't bother me at all but I think it could be good to write full words because would get used to them and would not find them scary anymore. Hiding doesn't make any good, it just feeds our fears.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

At the moment, I'm pretty ok with seeing them, but I
    know a few months ago just seeing them was enough to
    give me a panic attack. I really appreciate that we used
    v* and n* here instead of spelling them out, else I
    would have left because of the panic,

I was never bothered at all by them, but I use n*, d* and v* etc. out of
    respect for others here who are freaked out, there are other words
    which are nothing to do with emet, which I can't type, or say out loud,
    so I don't want to bother anyone with the words!

And d* just because it's so hard to spell!

But since I've used this forum a lot, I find myself less comfortable
    typing the whole words, but I can still say them....

Doesn't bother me at all!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Although I don't enjoy seeing the words, I'm okay with reading/writing them. I do try to censor them for the consideration of others.
    It does bother me though when people (non-emetophobes) use graphic terminology when speaking about being ill.
    \"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that\'s the essence of inhumanity.\"
    -George Bernard Shaw

I have only used some of the asterisks in the past to prevent nervousness in
    others. I myself can stand to see the words most times. Unless of course I
    am feeling ill, then the little asterisk is nice.
    Life is so worth living.

I'm ok with seeing them.I censor out of respect for those who don't like to although I think I do slip sometimes.

I personally do not find those words hard to see/hear but such words as "tossing cookies, blowing chunks and barfing" really GROSS me out.uggh.

I didn't even realize we were allowed to type out the actual words! They don't bother me whatsoever; in fact, I find it slightly beneficial to see them, and face any residual fear I might have associated with them.

I'm in the majority who continues to asterisk them out of respect for other members who have difficulty with the words.

The words for v*, sv*, s* and d* don't bother me at all, although like others have said d* is a pain to spell! However I'm not keen on words like barf etc...