Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Are you scared of swine flu?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 31.11%
  • No

29 64.44%
  • Other

2 4.44%

Are you scared/worried of swine flu? I'm not! But I'm just curious how many of you are worried about it. Also so hippychick doesn't get at me for this. The discussion thread for swine flu is http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=17906&P N=1.
    Life is a wonderful ride.

I think my chances of getting it are slim to none.

The media creates unnecessary panic. This flu (which isn't know to cause symptoms that are concerns for emets) is similar to all the other types of flus, it can just be passed b/w pigs and people. Those at high risk for life-threatening syptoms are the same for the regular flu: the old, very young, and those with immune deficiencies. Emetophobes are generally very hygiene-conscience so an emet is probably less likely to get it. Actually the H1N1 is missing an amino acid that facilitates its reproduction. Therefore, it's spreading slower than previously anticipated so good news there! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that\'s the essence of inhumanity.\"
    -George Bernard Shaw

It does not frighten me.
    Life is so worth living.

I'm not afraid
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It doesn't really frighten me.I am scared to get sick period...no fun.

The only thing I am scared about this flu is the medications doctors prescribe for them.If I do get it, I will not be taking them.

The other thing I would be worried is the results that could come about (hospitalization due to pneumonia)

There have been a lot of young US people who have recovered without being hospitalized so im not trippin.

No, I ignore media hysteria.

Plus, the symptoms don't seem to typically include v* or d*, so even on the slight chance that I DID catch it, I still wouldn't be TOO panicked.

Nope, I just love that the media is blowing this out of proportion and I've heard nothing in the news about noro this year! yay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm not scared now, I was, but not now - I've got my dettol spray and I don't go anywhere particularly crowded, plus every single house in britain was getting a leaflet this morning telling everyone to sneeze & cough into tissues and WASH THEIR HANDS - Hooray!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek
    I'm not scared now, I was, but not now
    - I've got my dettol spray and I don't go anywhere
    particularly crowded, plus every single house in britain
    was getting a leaflet this morning telling everyone to
    sneeze & cough into tissues and WASH THEIR HANDS -
    Hooray!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    We didn't get one =/

Oh, maybe it'll arrive tomorrow. it's been on Sky news all day how every household was supposed to be getting one in the post ....

If you go onto this website
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8033048.stm

then in the box midway down that says "Swine Flu Advice" click on the NHS Important Info about Swine Flu link it has a copy of the leaflet there.

There's been TV ads on today too.

nope....not at all! ive never **knock on wood** had the regular flu so why sit around and worry about the swine flu!!

Ah now if only people would take the advice to wash their hands to heart.

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Life is so worth living.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek
    plus every single house in britain was getting a leaflet this morning telling everyone to sneeze & cough into tissues and WASH THEIR HANDS - Hooray!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Haha! That is the other thing I LOVE about this 'swine flu' my daughters preschool sent home another note about not sending your kids to school sick and how to prevent infection. They also want to know now WHY your kid is absent if they are sick. I love it. I mean, not that it will stop people....but reminding them to wash their hands is good, anytime.

I'm still scared. I study Media Studies at school and we're always
    being taught about how the media over hypes things, but I'm still
    scared! My friends wrote a "swine flu" song, and 2 of my teachers
    commented yesterday on how freaked out I must be.

And today in my school there was suddenly posters about
    handwashing up in the 6th form toilets....

Oh, I did ask a doctor and a nurse about it, they both said I should
    be fine though....

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

why? should we be scared?.....its just the media isnt it, like the bird flu pandemic and any other virus the media has blown out of proportion...its just the the ordinary flu.

The avian flu was a severe strain, unlike this one. H5N1, I think it even resisted hand sanitizers? but I could be wrong. I know the swine flu is susceptable to alcohol based hand rubs.

Good thing we keep that huge bottle of germ X around eh? The swine flu can
    kiss my swine butt. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Life is so worth living.

I'm loving this swine flu more everyday.

I know it sounds weird but it's freaking people out...which makes me happy because some people are now being more vigilant and aware of germs.

No adult should have to be reminded to wash their hands to stay healthy. Now suddenly they announce this is going around everyone acts like they just discovered this.

Layla's dad is sooo being more careful of germs now because he's freaked about catching it. I'm loving it. He's washing his hands more (he deals with the public) and he had me get him some hand sanitizer for both stores. He actually made someone wash their hands before he'd shake hands with them at the store. I LOVE THIS. He's like being super careful, like I want. I mean all my warnings about noro got nothing, but the news starts talking about swine flu and suddenly he's vigilant.

[img]smileys/smilies_14.gif[/img]

Lol... Wow.

I put yes. I am trying to stay calm about it and tell myself it's just like the normal flu, but all of the scaremongering from the media has worked and I am totally freaked at the moment as a few cases have been confirmed very very close to me.