Quote Originally Posted by paulinek
Quote Originally Posted by hippychick
I don't take anti emetics as taking them on a regular basis lowers the effectiveness and if I did have something wrong with me I doubt very much the anti emetic would have time to digest/work.
Hiya,
Not doubting you or anything, but is there any medical evidence to suggest regular use reduces anti-emetics effectiveness? And if so, how many would you have to take over what period of time before they became innefective? A lady at work has been on 3 anti-emetics for 6 months while she's having Chemo and they don't appear to be losing their effectiveness yet.

I'm just interested. the ones my doc prescribed me are designed to be taken 3 times a day but i only take them when i feel n*, but i always thought (mistalenly it seems) that once they are out of your bloodstream they are out, or does the brain somehow remember them the next time you have them and build up immunity somehow?

The doctor also said they are extremely fast working so I feel pretty confident they would work if taken in time.

Thanks x

I don't know if they would though, as although they are fast working, when you are sick your stomach will not digest or absorb anything into you. The only ones that would work are anything that is meant to dissolve on the tongue.

Any pill if taken long enough will become less effective as the body builds up a tolerance for it. That is why people have to switch anti depressants etc after a few years. So if you take it every day there may be a problem down the line.

I'm not trying to scare people or mislead them in anyway but we cannot be cured by taking anti emetics. It's a false sense of safety.